Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
We saw one of those gatling guns at Bath Iron Works this past summer, getting ready to be installed. Quite impressive. The weight would slow you down a lot, though, (the shells must be about a pound each), and for birds, it would be... overkill.
We discourage cormorants by rigging monofilament a few inches above wherever they might like to land. They trip on it and fly off. Ospreys in our harbor tend to chase them away as well
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2011

seacock360 is on a distinguished road
This Works Great!! See Photo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Dealing with Birds at your Dock-img_0570.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011

yes, it is a sprinkler...
Old 12-08-2011

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I fly a burgee on a pig stick just above the top of the mast. I tied a rubber snake half way up the line that retrieves the pig stick. Another rubber snake sits on top of my sail cover. The burgee kept the big birds off the top of the mast and the snakes keep most of the smaller birds away.

I've heard that pinwheels with reflective surfaces work too, but I haven't tried them yet.
Old 12-09-2011

none of that stuff works in south florida... the only thing, after years of hanging crap up the mast, that works is the sprinkler... Evidently, the little fuckers don't like to get wet when crapping on your deck...
Old 12-09-2011

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Can you post up info on where to get the sprinkler? Does it run continuously?
Old 12-09-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
...We discourage cormorants by rigging monofilament a few inches above wherever they might like to land. They trip on it and fly off. Ospreys in our harbor tend to chase them away as well
That's what I do too, a few inches above each spreader, tied to the rigging at each side, with some smaller pieces tied to the "root" of each spreader to keep the line over the spreader instead of purely going around the front of the mast.

I also run mono back and forth around the antenna's at the top of the mast, only a few inches above the top of the mast.

I attach a few loose pieces of mono to the top(s) of the antenna(s) at the top of the mast. The strands of mono drape down, coiling a bit, but they aren't so long that they can interfere with the windex.

Also, the new windex is the kind with the spike at the top.

All the above stays in place and I don't have to think about it. Your post reminded me.

When we are away for longer than a couple days, I use 1 long (reusable) length of mono from a spool and chris-cross the boat several times with mono, from the tops of the stanchions -- looping around each stanchion to keep tension without knots -- then from bow to backstay above the boom. I tuck the spool with any unused mono into a cockpit locker. When I come back, it's easy to wind it onto the spool. The only knot is near the bow, and I cut it with a knife and leave a little 6 inch pennant of mono in place.

After the first time implementing the "chris-cross at stanchion level" technique, there was a clump of "feather fuzz" on the mono. Some bird got the message. I think they get cautious when they see any mono, hence the pennants I leave on the bow.

Our problems with birds only got really bad when I left a pile of chain on the foredeck, after securing from a hurricane. Somehow, that looked like a rock or something and the birds felt at home. It took hours to scrub the boat with a brush and a bucket. There are still slight stains on the stack pack.

With the boat chris-crossed with mono, I once came on deck and saw a cormorant perched on our bow pulpit. I fixed that with a piece of monofilament going from bow pulpit to up a few feet on the furled head sail.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 12-09-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-09-2011

Go to your friendly neighborhood hardware store and get a sprinkler on a stick. Also, get a hose that rolls up in a plastic case. They are the lightest weight hose I've seen and makes it ideal for hauling up your rig. I turn it on in the morning and off in the afternoon when the birds leave for the day. Timers are available for sprinklers. It doesn't take much water to keep the birds away so I just turn enough water on to make the sprinkler slowly spin.
Old 12-09-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
After a minor mess a while back, I took a bunch of old tennis balls sliced them so I could wedge a 1/8 " line
in each and spaced them about 18" apart on the line.
My daughter drew some scarry faces on the balls with
a marker, and I hung the line very loosely from headstay
to mast and mast above boom to backstay. As we are on a mooring with some wave action there was a lot of swinging in different directions at the same time. Birds
stayed away, I think it was my daughters artwork!
However this was not set up when a young Osprey decided to try and land on my windex! That will involve a trip up the mast come spring!
Hugo,

I have a Top Climber (and the dedicated line for it) if you need it. Otherwise I'll help crank.

(I still have one of your propane cylinders, and owe you another one.)

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 12-09-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Brad,
Will take you up on offer for Top Climber/cranking me up come spring (need to break in new cushy chair) having someone to
keep me awake per new cushy chair would be helpful. Thank you

Suggested to Mrs. that leaving our boxer on deck with small dog
house would solve any bird problem...she responded that leaving
that said doghouse with me in it would be much more effective!
Hugo