Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
My dad swears by placing a rubber snake on deck, or even up on a spreader if you have steps.

I never tried it because I welcome the birds, poop and all. Oddly, with my "come one/come all" stance on birds and other wildlife hanging out on my boat, I rarely get pooped on.

They know..
HA! My thoughts exactly. I don't use scary owls, snakes, CD's, wire ties, fishing nets or barbed wire and they seem to let me off easy.

I don't believe in "short term" Karma, but, it's enough to make me wonder

All this being said, friends of mine on a mooring use the bobble head type owl and it seems to work. Plus every time I step on their boat at night it scares the crap out of me...lol.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Though we do get an occasional squirt of whitewash from a great blue heron, the biggest problem we face in the Chesapeake's upper reaches is waterfowl, mainly Canada geese and mallard ducks, both of which roost on the docks every night and leave thumb-size droppings so thick you cannot walk on the floating piers.

Not only does this pose a problem for slip holders, but the marina docks, which are relatively new, have began rotting away because of the acidic droppings. The geese are so bad in some areas that they no longer fear humans, and some have been somewhat aggressive. Consequently, marina owners have taken to hiring on companies that utilize sheep dogs to chase the geese from the docks. The dogs seem to be tireless and really effective. The dogs are also used at some area golf courses to keep the geese off the greens.

The marina I'm at has to power-wash their docks at least twice a year, then they seal the dock's deck-boards with something similar to Thompson's Water Seal that is environmentally safe. I'm not convinced this will stop the docks from rotting away, but it may slow the process.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 12-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Canada Geese also took down the jet that landed in the Hudson. I read somewhere that their numbers are growing exponentially.

I say we should set their numbers back a few decades.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-09-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
The increase we're primarily seeing in this part of the world is from non-migratory Canada geese, which are resident birds that take up housekeeping in places where they cannot be hunted. Golf course ponds, farm ponds, municipal reservoirs, park ponds and lakes, locations too close to houses to afford hunting. They're bigger than migratory Canada geese, often tipping the scales at 12 to 15 pounds and tougher than a pit bull, especially during nesting season. The only time they are vulnerable is during mid summer when they're molting and cannot fly. That, however, only last a couple weeks.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 12-09-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
They used to have a big problem with deer on runways, because you couldn't hunt them in the "airport environment". Deer are smart that way. I used to see the herd alongside the end of the runway when I flew. (We are talking about a large paved runway, with an occasionally operating control tower.) "Caution deer on runway" is a common phrase. A couple friends hit one with the landing gear on a Cessna and totalled the airplane. No one was hurt.

AFAIK, now they allow deer hunting on that particular airport.

On Long Island, every ball field that doesn't hire a dog person is covered in crap. Literally, ever 8 square inches has a turd on it. Kids that play football get it all over their uniforms.

Overall, it seems foolish to let potential food get in the way like that. I'm sure someone with a bow would be willing to bag a few, and the state could make money off the hunting permits. (Establish a limit of one a week, that would do it.) We aren't really talking about thinning there numbers actually, more letting them know it's not safe to be there.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 12-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
There are poisons that prevent their eggs from properly maturing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-09-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There are poisons that prevent their eggs from properly maturing.
I see problems with that, ethically, morally. I like the hunting idea though. Utilize the game.

We have geese, ducks, an angry Blue Heron, seagulls and lots of little birds. I'm considering myself very lucky that I find very little birdie poopie on my boat. However, one day I parked my car under a tree up in the parking lot and the little birds had a little birdie war and my car was totally covered in birdie poop.

As far as the docks, some areas get hit, but very little, and we have a couple of those fake owls, which seem to do the trick on a couple of the docks. I never see birds of any kind on the fake owl docks.

Last edited by carl762; 12-09-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2011

Rozz is on a distinguished road
anyone try a pest deterrent like this? http://www.gooddeals.com/ImageView.aspx?id=567
1967 Bristol 29 #35

Last edited by Rozz; 12-09-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailer View Post
The is a lot of poop on our docks but I never noticed any on the boats.
I guess we're lucky
That's our problem, too. I think one problem is a heron whose nest got destroyed during Hurricane Irene.

Old 12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
I see problems with that, ethically, morally. I like the hunting idea though. Utilize the game......
huh? You'll shoot the birds, but you consider essentially giving them birth control to be unethical and immoral?

Jeanneau 54DS