Really funny video from our sail on Friday. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 01-24-2011

Dolphins sightings are hit and miss on the Chesapeake. Some years they're pretty common, some years you won't see a one.

A couple of years ago I was crewing on a friends boat for the spring series. It was blowing pretty good that day and I was grinder. We had just tacked and I was standing over the winch with the boat really heeled over and the rest of the crew was either seated or headed to the high side as I cranked away with my head almost out over the water. All of a sudden a porpoise surfaced and rolled on his side to have a look at me. It surprised me so that I stopped grinding and looked around but no one else saw him. I kinda' felt like I'd just seen a UFO, so I didn't say anything until he showed back up a while later with a couple of buddies and proceeded to put on a show.

They are really cool creatures to see in their element.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 01-24-2011

That video is made of awesome, man. Thanks for sharing. I hope to have that experience myself in the future!
post #13 of 19 Old 01-24-2011
1975 Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Cool video, but I believe those are DOLPHINS, not PORPOISES. Dolphins have a longer snout than do porpoises and are generally larger overall.
Actually, they're all porpoises. Cetaceans, to be precise, which includes Flipper, Moby Dick and Shamu. A dolphin is actually the fish, tastily known as mahi-mahi.

S/V Free Spirit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
post #14 of 19 Old 01-24-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
Actually, they're all porpoises. Cetaceans, to be precise, which includes Flipper, Moby Dick and Shamu. A dolphin is actually the fish, tastily known as mahi-mahi.
Sorry Jaschrumpf... but porpoises are a different family than dolphins.

Technically, they're all Cetaceans, since Dolphins, porpoises and whales are all in the order Cetacea but Dolphins are in the family Delphinidae, where porpoises are in the family Phocoenidae... Killer whales or Orcas are actually the largest member of the dolphin family and not whales technically, despite their name.

The Mahi-Mahi or dorado is often called a dolphin but is a fish... not a mammal.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-24-2011

I believe jaschrumpf to be correct but who ever heard of the Miami porpoises.
I had 3 of these lovely creatures just a couple feet off my stern on a sail across Galveston Bay this past summer. I set the autopilot and hung on to the stern rail for about 10 minutes, totally entranced in their beauty and grace. I relished in the fact that this is something a power boater would never get to enjoy.
Smack...if you get tired of seeing a catfish or two, rolling over in your beautiful lake...come on down. We'll go check out the porpoises. It will have to be when the weather warms as I have not seen one in the bay since October.
If I could be any animal in the animal world....you guessed it.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-24-2011 Thread Starter

I wish we would have seen a ton of dorado =) I would have pulled out my fishing tackle. A guy sailing next to us hooked up with a good size thresher shark while trolling... and we did see some porpoise too... and two pilot whales... Sorry for my juggling of porpoise and dolphins. Those are common dolphins in the video and there have been literally thousands around lately.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-24-2011
Banned

Nerdfiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!

Just kidding. Seriously, I'm just kidding.

YJ - I want to see you juggle some dolphins and porpoises. I'd pay good money for that and a bottle of Mezcal!
post #18 of 19 Old 01-24-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg353 View Post
I believe jaschrumpf to be correct but who ever heard of the Miami porpoises.
I had 3 of these lovely creatures just a couple feet off my stern on a sail across Galveston Bay this past summer. I set the autopilot and hung on to the stern rail for about 10 minutes, totally entranced in their beauty and grace. I relished in the fact that this is something a power boater would never get to enjoy.
Smack...if you get tired of seeing a catfish or two, rolling over in your beautiful lake...come on down. We'll go check out the porpoises. It will have to be when the weather warms as I have not seen one in the bay since October.
If I could be any animal in the animal world....you guessed it.

Dude, I owe RTB and JohnShasteen a sail, but I'll put you on the dance ticket as well. However, if you're wearing a dolphin suit when I get there, I'm walkin' on by. Just sayin'.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-24-2011
I'd rather be sailing

That's a site we miss from when we were cruising. Every passage we did from North Carolina south to FL we had pods jumping off our bow for hours at a time. What a thrilling experience!

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.