SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

ICE, i now own an ice boat

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  scottyt 
#1 ·
well after some pretty low temps my boat is frozen in. right now the ice is 3/4 of an inch thick or so. the good thing is as the boat moves the ice is doing a good job of cleaning the water line. i am in a small cove off of a larger cove, the large cove is ice free. i am about 75 feet from soft water.

the funny one is i jumped on the boat and heard a noise come from the back end, well it turns out my swim ladder was down. it was actually disconnected from the boat but standing up nicely for retrieval. no worries of loosing as it tied to the boat too.

#3 ·
it can also do nasty things to your docklines....there's a very good reason the replace mooring balls with ice sticks for the winter.

#4 ·
Also watch your bilge pump. I winter the boat in every year and have been frozen in hard several times. One thing I didn't anticipate is that the overboard hose would freeze, letting the bilge pump run the battery flat. I turn off the pump in really cold weather, and turn it on when I visit if necessary. My hulls have never been damaged by ice, though the pintles on an outboard rudder were bent once. If your rudder is transom hung, unship it.

#8 ·
i am tied to a floating dock so no issues with lines.

also my pump does not use a float switch so no issue there. as for paint, its coming out in the spring for a bottom job so no worrys.

as for water in the bilge, my bulge is only 4 inches deep, but wide. if there is water it wont do any damage if it freezes.

#10 ·
Actually, even with a floating dock, there can be issues if the ice floe grabs the boat and moves the boat away from the dock.

#11 ·
True Sd i could see an ice flow being a problem. but i dont think it will be a problem where my boat is ( 39.279377,-76.580073 look for getaway sailing ) . the little area i am in i really dont see flows being a problem.

the only real problem i see as there is a storm drain ( fresh water ) close to me and i am shaded pretty much all day so the ice can get a lot thicker where i am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.