Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
ICE, i now own an ice boat

well after some pretty low temps my boat is frozen in. right now the ice is 3/4 of an inch thick or so. the good thing is as the boat moves the ice is doing a good job of cleaning the water line. i am in a small cove off of a larger cove, the large cove is ice free. i am about 75 feet from soft water.

the funny one is i jumped on the boat and heard a noise come from the back end, well it turns out my swim ladder was down. it was actually disconnected from the boat but standing up nicely for retrieval. no worries of loosing as it tied to the boat too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Solid ice around a hull can do some nasty things to your boat. Be careful.
Old 01-25-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
it can also do nasty things to your docklines....there's a very good reason the replace mooring balls with ice sticks for the winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-25-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Also watch your bilge pump. I winter the boat in every year and have been frozen in hard several times. One thing I didn't anticipate is that the overboard hose would freeze, letting the bilge pump run the battery flat. I turn off the pump in really cold weather, and turn it on when I visit if necessary. My hulls have never been damaged by ice, though the pintles on an outboard rudder were bent once. If your rudder is transom hung, unship it.
Old 01-25-2011

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road
I'm in Solomans, and had to break up ice around the boat with a pole. Ice around here isn't going to crush the hull, but will scratch the paint.
Old 01-25-2011
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
it can also do nasty things to your docklines....there's a very good reason the replace mooring balls with ice sticks for the winter.
What is an Ice stick? All the people around me replace their mooring balls with several plastic jugs, many of which don't survive the winter.
Old 01-25-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
What is an Ice stick? All the people around me replace their mooring balls with several plastic jugs, many of which don't survive the winter.
Looks like this:

Many are made from just a section of 4x4 with a big eye in one end...

The ice has a harder time gripping it, unlike a mooring ball, which is a nice pull cord handle for the ice floe to use to move your mooring.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-25-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i am tied to a floating dock so no issues with lines.

also my pump does not use a float switch so no issue there. as for paint, its coming out in the spring for a bottom job so no worrys.

as for water in the bilge, my bulge is only 4 inches deep, but wide. if there is water it wont do any damage if it freezes.
Old 01-25-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Did someone say ice?

Here's a shot of my path to the local cruising grounds in January:

Old 01-25-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
i am tied to a floating dock so no issues with lines.

also my pump does not use a float switch so no issue there. as for paint, its coming out in the spring for a bottom job so no worrys.

as for water in the bilge, my bulge is only 4 inches deep, but wide. if there is water it wont do any damage if it freezes.
Actually, even with a floating dock, there can be issues if the ice floe grabs the boat and moves the boat away from the dock.

Telstar 28
New England