Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Kudos to Jessica and Abby, I'm truly impressed and a bit jealous of their attempts and accomplishments. However, if either of my daugthers (age 5 & 8) are reading this: Dad won't allow it until you are at least 18. Unless that is you decide to take dad along as crew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
It was

"Young Australian of the Year"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
It was

"Young Australian of the Year"
Thanks for posting that correction Tommays. The distinction is important.

I readily admit I was against her voyage, particularly after the inciden with the freighter but reality is she then proceeded to come through with flying colours. You have to 'dip your lid' to her and she was I reckon a worthy recipient.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-25-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that Jessica had more experience than Robin Lee Graham, was intimately involved in all aspects of fitting out Ella's Pink Lady for the voyage, and had thousands of miles, including captaining a 35' sailboat on a Tasman Sea crossing before she left. For you to dismiss her voyage as a stunt because she was sixteen at the time of her setting out on her circumnavigation clearly shows you don't have a damn clue about what you're saying.

Unlike Abby Sunderland, Jessica was pretty clearly in charge of her voyage and making her own decisions. You probably should read her blog's entries that were made during her voyage, before saying anything else...
SD,

I will concede that Ms. Watson's (successful) attempt was quite a bit less of a stunt than some of the others in the news recently. However, I also think she, quite frankly, got lucky. Yes, I fully realize that ANY completely successful circumnavigation involves some luck. But, we're talking about kids who have little or no experience singlehanding a boat in bluewater, much less for thousands of miles in the Southern Ocean. That pretty much just leaves luck to keep them out of the obits.

The comparison to Mr. Graham is bogus. Robin Lee Graham's circumnavigation was not non-stop by any stretch of the imagination (nor was it intended to be). He made more than a dozen landfalls to get across the Pacific, a couple of dozen more during the rest of his trip, and never went around Cape Horn (taking the Panama Canal instead). I don't think anyone could seriously try to claim that his voyage (as cool as it was) was anywhere near as difficult as a non-stop circumnavigation.

I'll say it again, some kid is going to die attempting one of these stunts.

(From Webster:

stunt (noun)
1: an unusual or difficult feat requiring great skill or daring; especially : one performed or undertaken chiefly to gain attention or publicity)
Old 01-25-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I cant tell you how many young ones will die driving to high school this week JUST on Long Island BUT its already above 0

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-25-2011

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Kudos to both Jessica and Abbey, they are true modern day pioneers. Both were extremely well prepared for their journey.

I cannot think of better role models for young children, especially young girls.

With prosti-tots, teenage sex and drug use being forcibly jammed down kids throats, it is very refreshing to see these young ladies. Unfortunately, most kids will have no idea that Jessica and Abbey even exist but they sure know who Hannah Montana is. Now that's an extremely sad statement of our present society.
Old 01-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I cant tell you how many young ones will die driving to high school this week JUST on Long Island BUT its already above 0
Yes again. One kid dies sailing around the world, major tragedy. Thousands die of starvation, drought, flood, war, auto accidents, drug abuse, no one really gives a frying truck.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-25-2011

sausagebarn is on a distinguished road
I don't know if I could handle letting my daughter sail around the world like Jessica Watson has. Nevertheless I have found her story to be just amazing. I bought the book and have been reading it to my daughter (who is seven).
If my daughter ever wanted to do something like that I'm sure SHE would be able to handle it but I would be whimpering on the floor....how did her parents handle that kind of stress?!?!
In the preface she wrote that the hardest part of the journey was coming back into port after colliding with the tanker...dealing with all the doubters and il-wishers. The fact that she was able to go on undaunted after all that judgement is a real testament to her will.
Glad to hear she is being giving the respect she deserves.
Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
SD,

I will concede that Ms. Watson's (successful) attempt was quite a bit less of a stunt than some of the others in the news recently. However, I also think she, quite frankly, got lucky. Yes, I fully realize that ANY completely successful circumnavigation involves some luck. But, we're talking about kids who have little or no experience singlehanding a boat in bluewater, much less for thousands of miles in the Southern Ocean. That pretty much just leaves luck to keep them out of the obits.
You might want to look into Jessica's sailing resume a bit more closely. She had a fair bit of sailing experience on bluewater passages, including the Tasman Sea crossing, which are some of the nastiest waters in the world.

Quote:
The comparison to Mr. Graham is bogus. Robin Lee Graham's circumnavigation was not non-stop by any stretch of the imagination (nor was it intended to be). He made more than a dozen landfalls to get across the Pacific, a couple of dozen more during the rest of his trip, and never went around Cape Horn (taking the Panama Canal instead). I don't think anyone could seriously try to claim that his voyage (as cool as it was) was anywhere near as difficult as a non-stop circumnavigation.

I'll say it again, some kid is going to die attempting one of these stunts.

(From Webster:

stunt (noun)
1: an unusual or difficult feat requiring great skill or daring; especially : one performed or undertaken chiefly to gain attention or publicity)
Personally, more kids die driving while drunk or texting and the experience and self-confidence that Jessica gained during her voyage will probably stand her in far better stead than what most 16-18 year olds are doing will do for them.

A circumnavigation, even with stops, as Robin Lee Graham did, will give the person doing it a far wider set of experiences and opportunities for learning and growth than most teenagers ever see. You seem to be set on focusing on the negative aspect of what Jessica did, but not mentioning the positive aspects of her achievements and how they may affect her development as a person.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Well from the strict dictionary definition, they were both "stunts". That said, Ms.Watson was well prepared, and in the right boat, that she understood well.

Ms.Sunderland, on the other hand was engaging in a "stunt" with all the bad connotations that implies: Ill conceived, unprepared ,etc.

2 cents spent.