SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Child of the Year

6K views 68 replies 25 participants last post by  chrisncate 
#1 ·
Anybody have a suitable 10-year old to sacrifice?

Today, Jessica Watson was named Australian of the Year for sailing solo, unassisted, non-stop around the world at the age of 16.

Don't misunderstand, I am totally in awe of Jessica Watson, she is one tough cookie, but as we have seen in some less fortunate attempts, circumnavigation is not quite in the league of winning a dancing contest or topping a math competition.

It should not be a goal to be "youngest" in this kind of endeavour, methinks. Jessica Watson deserves recognition, but it ought not spark a round into child territory?

#2 ·
circumnavigation is not quite in the league of winning a dancing contest or topping a math competition.
I totally agree, thousands and thousands of kids can win a math competition, a music festival or a dance competion. All of those take brains or memory or some speciallized skill.

Almost 500 people have gone into space whereas those who have circumnavigated solo are less than half of that. And to be a young female sailor in that group, Well done Jessica Watson!

Rik

#3 ·
Congrats to Jessica.

#4 ·
Sooner or later some young kid (teenager, maybe younger) is going to die attempting one of these stunts.

#7 ·
I'd point out that one of the major differences between Jessica and some others who did not succeed is that Jessica was responsible for choosing and outfitting her boat and knew the boat incredibly well as a result. When she had problems, she had a good idea of what broke and how to fix it or do without it—which was clearly not the case with her nearest competitor....

#13 ·
It was

"Young Australian of the Year"
Thanks for posting that correction Tommays. The distinction is important.

I readily admit I was against her voyage, particularly after the inciden with the freighter but reality is she then proceeded to come through with flying colours. You have to 'dip your lid' to her and she was I reckon a worthy recipient.

#17 ·
Yes again. One kid dies sailing around the world, major tragedy. Thousands die of starvation, drought, flood, war, auto accidents, drug abuse, no one really gives a frying truck.

#16 ·
Kudos to both Jessica and Abbey, they are true modern day pioneers. Both were extremely well prepared for their journey.

I cannot think of better role models for young children, especially young girls.

With prosti-tots, teenage sex and drug use being forcibly jammed down kids throats, it is very refreshing to see these young ladies. Unfortunately, most kids will have no idea that Jessica and Abbey even exist but they sure know who Hannah Montana is. Now that's an extremely sad statement of our present society.

#18 ·
I don't know if I could handle letting my daughter sail around the world like Jessica Watson has. Nevertheless I have found her story to be just amazing. I bought the book and have been reading it to my daughter (who is seven).
If my daughter ever wanted to do something like that I'm sure SHE would be able to handle it but I would be whimpering on the floor....how did her parents handle that kind of stress?!?!
In the preface she wrote that the hardest part of the journey was coming back into port after colliding with the tanker...dealing with all the doubters and il-wishers. The fact that she was able to go on undaunted after all that judgement is a real testament to her will.
Glad to hear she is being giving the respect she deserves.

#36 ·
In the preface she wrote that the hardest part of the journey was coming back into port after colliding with the tanker...dealing with all the doubters and il-wishers.
Anyone know what really happened, the cause of the tanker collision?

Sleeping, Electronics misread.

What happened?

#20 ·
Well from the strict dictionary definition, they were both "stunts". That said, Ms.Watson was well prepared, and in the right boat, that she understood well.

Ms.Sunderland, on the other hand was engaging in a "stunt" with all the bad connotations that implies: Ill conceived, unprepared ,etc.

2 cents spent.

#23 ·
I still cannot understand where this blind, seething, vitriolic loathing of anyone under the age of 18 operating a sailboat came from. It's just mind-boggling to me.

I understand the concerns of those who oppose these "youngest" sailing records, I really do. Inexperienced sailors alone at sea does pose problems. Additional risk to would-be rescuers, navigational hazards to other ships, etc. etc. I get it. But the level of disdain is such that the OP couldn't resist taking a pot-shot at Watson almost a year after her trip ended. She's not even sailing right now, and these people are still hopping mad over this.

Folks, humans have been operating sailing vessels for literally thousands of years, and it took until 1969 for someone to sail one around the world solo nonstop. And this girl did it at an age before most of us could reliably operate a simple motor car. I say it's a pretty big freakin' deal. Whether you agreed with it at the time or not, it's done now. What possible profit could come from taking a cheap shot at her when she's recognized for her achievement?

I just find it really hard to get too worked up over teenagers sailing alone around the world. As others have pointed out, she could have been out driving a car, which is wildly dangerous. She could have been creating a drag on society by getting pregnant, or doing drugs, or spray painting vandalism all over the place. But she wasn't. So really, what is the big problem in society?

#27 ·
I still cannot understand where this blind, seething, vitriolic loathing of anyone under the age of 18 operating a sailboat came from. It's just mind-boggling to me....
Would you PLEASE point out where ANYONE on this forum has made such a statement? Teenagers, and younger kids operating a sailboat is fine with me. Taking toddlers for a sail on a well crewed boat doesn't even bother me (just ask my three-year-old). I can even see letting an older teenager, or crew of teenagers, sail a boat moderate distances.

HOWEVER, "letting" a teenager attempt a non-stop circumnavigation is completely irresponsible, IMHO. It is just a matter of time before one of these stunts ends tragically. Does anyone remember the fate of Jessica Dubroff?

---

Also, to compare the dangers of kids driving to school (or wherever) with the dangers of kids bluewater sailing is completely fallacious. Does anyone here really think that the probability of a kid getting killed driving a car comes anywhere close to the probability of a kid dying whilst attempting one of these stunts?

#24 ·
Well, I don't feel as you described above, but I do think a 16 year old is not developed enough (in every way) to make the judgments necessary for circumnavigating via the capes, as a general rule.

Can it be done? Yes. Should it be? I don't think so, but I admit I could be wrong. It think what bothers me the most is the race to be the youngest.

Where should it end? At what age? 14? 10? 6?

#25 ·
Where should it end? At what age? 14? 10? 6?
It must be a deep-seated fundamental difference of understanding. The point is that it isn't your place to decide. If you don't think 16-year-olds should be at sea alone, don't let your 16-year-old go to sea alone. It must be the same thing that causes people to fight so hard to keep the Blue Laws in effect. "People don't need to buy alcohol on Sunday." This burning desire to impose one-size-fits all rules on everyone.

Yeesh.

#28 ·
SlowButSteady—

First off, Jessica Dubroff was SEVEN, not SIXTEEN. There's a huge difference in that fact alone. Second, the plane crash occurred when Dubroff's flight instructor was flying the plane. Third, sailing a boat is less risky that flying a single engine plane.

#31 ·
SlowButSteady-

First off, Jessica Dubroff was SEVEN, not SIXTEEN. There's a huge difference in that fact alone.
The point is that these stunts, sending young and younger kids on long-distance "record" setting attempts, are inherently and unnecessarily dangerous.

Second, the plane crash occurred when Dubroff's flight instructor was flying the plane. Third, sailing a boat is less risky that flying a single engine plane.
I don't know about that. Got a reference comparing the probability of fatality during a solo circumnavigation verses a cross-country General Aviation flight?
There is a General Aviation airport (Cable Airport - KCCB) about two miles from my house; small aircraft takeoff and land there all day (our backyard is just outside of "the pattern"), and they've had exactly one fatality in the past 11 years. Yet, just last September a sailor fell off his boat and drowned just outside King Harbor (where I keep my boat). Not much of a sample size in either case. But, one would be hard-pressed to find the GA probability of fatality higher than that of sailing.

#30 ·
You have a third young lady out there. Laura Dekker. But she is sailing from port to port. Taking one sea leg at a time. So while it will be around the world, she isn't out to set a speed record. But if she completes the trip by her 16th birthday then she will be the youngest. I believe she is sailing a 38 ft ketch.
You'll have to goggle her to find out where she is at for now.

#33 ·
If people who didn't know Jessica Watson were allowed to decide whether or not she should sail around the world, she would have never gone. That's the beauty of letting parents make decisions for their own child. Watson has justified her parents decision making skills. She made a safe return, end of story. There's a bit of luck in it all but someone who really didn't know what they were doing wouldn't have made it all the way around.

I can't believe some people have the audacity to think they know what's best for some kid that they've never even spoken to. True there are stage moms/dads who are using their children as trophies. But you don't limit every last parent based upon the actions of a few idiots.

I have all the respect in the world for Jessica Watson. She seems to be a very mature person for her age.

We don't really know what happened to Abby Sunderland. She might have had a some bad luck. She might have been ill prepared. I know the evidence seems to lean towards being ill prepared. I don't know her and I don't know her family. All I've seen are interviews which are but a glimpse of the people.
I'll be damned if I start telling perfect strangers how to raise their kid. It's obvious should a parent dangle their kid over boiling water that they don't know what they're doing. This isn't so obvious and is a decision best left up to their parents. If their parents make the wrong choice, it's on them.

#34 ·
If people who didn't know Jessica Watson were allowed to decide whether or not she should sail around the world, she would have never gone. That's the beauty of letting parents make decisions for their own child. Watson has justified her parents decision making skills. She made a safe return, end of story. There's a bit of luck in it all but someone who really didn't know what they were doing wouldn't have made it all the way around.

I can't believe some people have the audacity to think they know what's best for some kid that they've never even spoken to. True there are stage moms/dads who are using their children as trophies. But you don't limit every last parent based upon the actions of a few idiots.

I have all the respect in the world for Jessica Watson. She seems to be a very mature person for her age.

We don't really know what happened to Abby Sunderland. She might have had a some bad luck. She might have been ill prepared. I know the evidence seems to lean towards being ill prepared. I don't know her and I don't know her family. All I've seen are interviews which are but a glimpse of the people.
I'll be damned if I start telling perfect strangers how to raise their kid. It's obvious should a parent dangle their kid over boiling water that they don't know what they're doing. This isn't so obvious and is a decision best left up to their parents. If their parents make the wrong choice, it's on them.
I think much of what happened to Abby is that she was pushed into going by her father and wasn't really properly prepared for the voyage, didn't know the boat very well, and didn't have the experience necessary. Also, her timing, forced by her rapidly approaching birthday, sucked and left her entering the Southern Ocean in winter-time, which is less than ideal.

#35 ·
I met Abby a couple of months ago, and I had the chance to talk to her about her voyage and "get a sense" of her maturity in person (she was in Baltimore for a day on a speaking gig, and she and her entourage came into the sailing school Cate worked at and took a boat out for the day).

She was very nice to speak with, and she struck me as mature enough for a 16/17 year old I'd have to say, however I was not left with an impression that she was any more mature or different than a typical girl her age
(nothing wrong with that either, don't misconstrue. It's just my observation). I'd say consider that last statement I just made in the context of circumnavigating via the capes though.

She seemed completely normal for her age. I sort of interviewed her (interrogated is more accurate probably, but in a good way) about her preferred storm tactics (among other things), and she told me that she did not like to heave to, but rather run with weather in all storm/wave situatons.

I personally believe in the Lin and Larry school of heaving to and creating the slick, rather than running at extremely fast hull speeds all/most of the time. I also personally believe in using different tactics that a situation might warrant, without keeping it too "rigid". I was surprised at her response honestly.

*I should note I have only Chesapeake Bay experience, and no offshore experience myself yet. I don't know if that matters to this topic, but I want to be honest as possible since I am sharing my experience meeting her and my impressions on what she said to me with you all.

Was it her age or experience level? Was it external influences that formed her views? I don't know. I can only repeat what she told me personally, and give my impression. Take it for what it's worth I suppose.

I cannot say whether or not any of what I wrote above makes a bit of difference to this argument, but I will say that no one in her entourage seemed to be of the mindset of what (imo) is the safest storm tactic in many conditions. I was left with the impression that she probably should not have been out there to begin with, but that is only my opinion and I understand I could be totally wrong. Who am I to have an opinion on anything, really..

Fwiw.

::dons flame resistant suit::

(pics for proof)

#37 ·
I'm a beginning sailor now, but when I was an early teen, I had a high degree of aptitude of a different sort. My interest then wasn't safety sensitive, but I was hounded and blocked at every turn by the same overriding belief that a kid is somehow inferior to an adult when it came to any serious persuit; this idea that kids just aren't ready to be involved in certain things, and adults have some sort of inherent and necessary advantage. Compounding this is the notion that kids just don't have good enough judgement to get involved in, well, just about anything serious.

As a kid, I strongly suspected it was a bunch of crap, as I seemed as capable as my much-older peers in pretty much every relevant way. As an adult, I now know it is crap.

Teenagers are better at just about everything than adults, except that they lack actual life experience. But lacking experience is only an issue if they actually lack experience. Focusing on the parents' choice to allow the child's participation belittles the child, as if the child doesn't have or shouldn't have any choice in the matter. (It is certainly possible to coerce one of your children into doing something they don't want to do, but this is a very serious accusation which should be backed up by evidence.)

If you want to legitimately criticize someone, find a real, substantiated problem. Bringing up age is just base sterotypical discrimination, and an insult to every young person who has chosen to do something exceptional.

#38 ·
Skipping all the "Youth shouldn't circumnavigate sail the world" and "What were her parents thinking?!" subthreads; I think I'll focus on the idea of what constitutes an Australian of the Year (young or otherwise).

Personally, whilst what Jessica did is inspiring for me and one of my children, it is not what I would single out someone as an iconic Australian for. It would have been just as inspiring had it been done by an American as an Aussie and, more importantly, didn't seem to be done for any reason beyond her own desire to do so. There is nothing wrong with that, but it isn't the kind of thing I would single someone out for and raise up as the shining example our "Young Australians" should shoot for.

I've never been a man fond of grouping sailors & motor-car racers in amongst the indigenous youth advocates and soldiers putting their lives on the line. Equating putting one's life on the line (literally & metaphorically) for others in hardship with sporting achievement leaves a very bitter taste in one's mouth.

Jessica Watson is a great sailor, much better than I am and possibly better than I ever will be. Thing is... that doesn't make her any better or more iconic an Australian than me, emergency service workers helping in the Queensland floods, or even the social worker fighting to keep kids off the streets to help them make something of their lives. Personally, the years where some sporting character gets the award, I weep (on the inside) for what we as a country have lost to media hype.

#39 ·
The "too young" debate always makes me remember a former student of mine. He started racing outlaw sprint cars before he could legally drive a car on the street. In the summer between his junior and senior years in high school, he won 9 races against many very experienced racers. His mother always worried and could be heard saying "slow down mitchell!" while video taping him from the stands.

It really does depend on a kids desires and ability to do things that many adults are afraid to do. Trust me, their parents worry as much as any other parent. It's just that some parents don't project their own fears onto their kids.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with outlaw sprint cars, here's Mitch (now in his early 30's) from a couple of years ago. Turn the sound off, it sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.