Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011

Petar is on a distinguished road
Insurance company in BC, Canada

Hi, what sort of boat insurance companies are you guys using in BC? I've been with Premier Marine for last 6 years although I did not have any claims and hope to keep it like that. I did hear though that they are not very good one when it comes to claims and payout. Any suggestions?
Ptar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
I know this isn't much help but at least it gives you a couple of more companies to consider. I use Beacon Underwriters through a broker and I have never had a claim so not really sure how they are in that regard. I have heard Dolphin Insurance mentioned quite often but unsure about them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 01-26-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
If you are involved with the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons, I know that Cowan's is one of their sponsors and that they give a percentage discount for CPS' classes that you have passed. This is from the CPS website:
CPS GROUP INSURANCE
by Cowan Insurance Brokers *

Boat Insurance:
Members save from 15% to 40%
Associates save up to 5%
Includes Identity Theft protection.
CPS Group Home & Auto Insurance

I use them, but have never had a claim with them.

I do not work for Cowan, nor am in any way associated with them, other than being a customer.

Rik

Last edited by rikhall; 01-26-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We've been with Premier most of the last 2 decades. We've also used Beacon. Premier's premiums are considerably better, however we've not made a claim and you never know til then, do you?

I did drop Premier one year when we bought our latest boat - in November. The survey had a number of recommendations including sealing leaking ports, and Premier insisted that all of them be done within 30 days - not exactly the season for that kind of work around here. We went to Beacon but the premiums were nearly $200 more. Premier took us on again once the recommendations were dealt with in the spring.

Of course, should a major claim be required that $200 may look cheap.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)