converting to roller furling - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 01-29-2011 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
converting to roller furling

I'm thinking of adding jib roller furling. my present genoa is in good condition. can I use this genoa in roller furling conversion? what about the snap hooks. all advice welcomed.
thanks,
UG
bornagainsailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 16
         
Yes, you can often get it converted by having a sail loft modify the luff and remove the hanks.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
Senior in age only!!!
 
centaursailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Balbriggan
Posts: 554
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
May not take that much to convert the sail tho it may be too low when the furler drum is fitted. Fitting the furler to the fore stay might be the bigger problem. The fore stay would need to be shortened to allow for the drum. On mine the revolving luff slides come in 2 meter pieces and are easily assembled on to the forestay tho it is nylon clad wire.
Happy reefing.

The great appear great because you are on your knees. James Larkin, Irish Labour Movement.
centaursailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
 
post #4 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 16
         
Most forestays don't need to be shortened, but it is often wise to replace the forestay when installing roller furling equipment for the first time, especially if the rigging is more than a few years old.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
Senior in age only!!!
 
centaursailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Balbriggan
Posts: 554
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
but it is often wise to replace the forestay when installing roller furling equipment for the first time, especially if the rigging is more than a few years old.
Amen to that.
Safe sailing

The great appear great because you are on your knees. James Larkin, Irish Labour Movement.
centaursailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
You really are funny!!
 
chrisncate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,781
Thanks: 19
Thanked 37 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Most forestays don't need to be shortened, but it is often wise to replace the forestay when installing roller furling equipment for the first time, especially if the rigging is more than a few years old.
What are your thoughts on the other way around (removing a furler to go hank up)?
chrisncate is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
Senior Member
 
nemier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: currently lying Papeete / TAHITI
Posts: 385
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
chrisncate,
I'm with you! (please don't tell anybody).
nemier is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 16
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
What are your thoughts on the other way around (removing a furler to go hank up)?
Unless you're about to buy new head sails, I would recommend not doing this. Roller furling sails can be converted to use hanks, but I wouldn't do it. They have to have a different cut, because of the foil and the fact that they are roller furled, and have a shorter luff as well.

I know several people who have done so, but there are a lot of advantages to having a roller furling/reefing system aboard. For instance, within limits, you can reef the headsail without going forward or having to change sails. You can also furl the sail from the safety of the cockpit. You also have to have a larger selection of sails to deal with the changes in wind strength.

Unless you are racing, I would generally recommend sticking with a good roller furler/reefing setup for safety and convenience.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
You really are funny!!
 
chrisncate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,781
Thanks: 19
Thanked 37 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Unless you're about to buy new head sails, I would recommend not doing this. Roller furling sails can be converted to use hanks, but I wouldn't do it. They have to have a different cut, because of the foil and the fact that they are roller furled, and have a shorter luff as well.

I know several people who have done so, but there are a lot of advantages to having a roller furling/reefing system aboard. For instance, within limits, you can reef the headsail without going forward or having to change sails. You can also furl the sail from the safety of the cockpit. You also have to have a larger selection of sails to deal with the changes in wind strength.

Unless you are racing, I would generally recommend sticking with a good roller furler/reefing setup for safety and convenience.
Uh, well....

...I already ditched the furler at the end of last season, and I did buy a complete suit of sails already... what I meant was replacing the headstay AFTER removing the furler and foil..

I simply removed mine and called it a day. What I meant by my question was: does it go both ways, your recommendation to replace the front wire?

(*you could not pay me to have a furler ever again, btw - and I never race, I am a cruiser only..)
chrisncate is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 50 Old 01-29-2011
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 16
         
Depends on how old the headstay is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Uh, well....

...I already ditched the furler at the end of last season, and I did buy a complete suit of sails already... what I meant was replacing the headstay AFTER removing the furler and foil..

I simply removed mine and called it a day. What I meant by my question was: does it go both ways, your recommendation to replace the front wire?

(*you could not pay me to have a furler ever again, btw - and I never race, I am a cruiser only..)

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
roller furling gcouture General Discussion (sailing related) 1 08-08-2010 08:29 PM
Roller Furling Jib, please help mattu General Discussion (sailing related) 6 07-13-2010 11:20 AM
7.3 roller furling NomadPa S2 2 02-02-2007 01:55 PM
roller furling help kananumpua Learning to Sail 14 01-18-2006 04:33 AM
Roller furling use Sea Gypsy Gear & Maintenance 2 07-14-2003 08:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome