SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Buying New Main Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/71718-buying-new-main-sail.html)

soyuz 01-30-2011 07:11 PM

Buying New Main Sail

I know there is alot of treads here about buying sails but still dont answer all my questions. i am in the process of buying a new main sail for my 83 tanzer 7.5 as i was reading older post some people mention maybe its better to buy local since they are in your town and all that good jazz but for me the problem is that i live in a realy small town far from sails makers, like 500 kilometres for the closest one
St-Onge in quebec city.So may as well buy it online i am thinking.Anyone have good sail maker company to suggest ? also my GF is at school in the buffalo area so maybe i could save a bit to get the sail sent to her unstead of kanada ?
Thanks.
Mike.

james679 01-30-2011 07:24 PM

I just put new sails on my Catalina 22 fro Haartstick Sails here in Roch NY. Their quality cannot be beat and I know they have a pick up/drop off location in Buffalo. I called North and all the others and decided to go with a local shop and cannot praise them enough. Just my honest opinion.

jrd22 01-30-2011 09:18 PM

I have bought two sails from National Sail in Florida and couldn't be happier with them. They sell Rolly Tasker sails, great sailcloth and they were very helpful over the phone with measurements etc. About half the price of the average quote I got locally.

Yorksailor 01-31-2011 03:24 AM

I second John's recommendation, my Rolly Tasker main is the best made sail I have ever owned.

Phil

patrickrea 01-31-2011 06:35 AM

Shoreline Sails is the Rolly Tasker representative here in Toronto. Wayne is a good guy to deal with. He also does Alado furlers.

MedSailor 01-31-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 692748)
I have bought two sails from National Sail in Florida and couldn't be happier with them. They sell Rolly Tasker sails, great sailcloth and they were very helpful over the phone with measurements etc. About half the price of the average quote I got locally.

I agree, dirk at National sail supply is great and the sails are great too. Way better than lee, and possibly even as good as UK/North/others. Definately good enough for my purposes. I had dirk make the luff 12" short just in case there was a measuring issue. Turns out I didn't need to do that, it would have been perfect with his calculations and he even built in 6" for stretch over time. Guess he knows what he's doing:rolleyes:

Medsailor

soyuz 01-31-2011 06:21 PM

Thanks alot guys.
I just noticed that i went on National supply website few months ago when i was looking for a main.Looks like i will start from there at least call them see what he as to say. I was also looking at Rolly Tasker website to find out there is a dealer in oka, mtl... wonder if its the same to deal with the guy in oka or still go with florida ?

chef2sail 01-31-2011 09:55 PM

Just purchase a new main from Quantum...excellent knowledge and service.

soyuz 01-31-2011 09:59 PM

Last night i emailed to Rolly Tasker i got answer today.... well i got to say the price is realy low but only 1 reef so we need two. What u guys think of that, material wise ect ???

Dear Mike,

I 28.88: J 10.08: P 24.12: E 8.33:

Mainsail Standard US$
5 oz US Dacron Crosscut 386.00
Luff 24.12: Foot 8.33:
Area 113 sq ft
1 reef 55.00

1 sail UPS door to 128.00

jrd22 01-31-2011 10:57 PM

I would request a quote for two reefs and also ask for a price on an offshore sail. I don't have any experience with the Standard sails, but as I recall the upgrade to triple stitching and more/better re-inforcing was not that much.