SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Jeanneau 36 Steering Under Power

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
Steering behavior while under power of a 1990 Jeanneau 36 that I am considering to purchase has me concerned. While at cruising speed or any other speed, the wheel vibrates as if encountering extreme turbulence. The wheel also pulls to port strongly like no other boat I have ever been on while cruising. I think the problem is not rudder related since the vibration is eliminated as soon as the transmission is placed in neutral. The wheel is also very smooth and the boat handles beautifuly while under sail. My brokers explanation is the two bladed prop that is centered in the hull and the semi-balanced high aspect ratio rudder that makes this boat such a nimble sailer. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Is so much prop wash while at crusing speed normal? Would a three bladed prop minimize the vibration as my broker suggesting?
I would appreciate any help!

#2 ·
"Torque" steer is something that is pretty much determined by the vessels design. On my Morgan designed sloop, she has a wonderfully balanced helm under sail and is an absolute BEAR to drive under power. I had to make time in light winds a couple of years ago, and my Autohelm was acting up due to build up of corrosion on the connections. After a 6 hour stint at the tiller, I ended up with rotator cuff damage in my shoulder from the constant strain. (Last time I take a passenger on who "Has" to be back to shore for a flight home) I now carefully inspect my Autohelm connections regularly.

I would think that a 3 pladed prop might even make things worse, more thrust=more torque, but would even out the vibrations. Being that the vibrations are the pulses from your 2 bladed prop. Addtionally, if it is a fixed prop, would you want to sacrifice your light air performance with the extra blade? And if you are using a folding/feathering prop, there is the additional expense in both purchase and upkeep.

If you are satisfied by the boats performance under sail, (I mean we are talking sailing here, not stinkpotting) and she makes good way under power, I would stay with her current prop.

Good luck, and don''t forget to hire a licenced marine surveyor prior to purchase, even if she had passed a "Recent Survey" with flying colors.

#6 ·
Chances are if he is still having a problem, he's sold the boat or hit something in the four years since he posted about the problem.

Please check dates before replying to a dead thread.

#12 ·
BW,

If you are interested in Jeanneau's, check this page out

www.jeanneau-owners.com and the forum that goes with it for info. There is a page with older brochures specs etc including hte sunshine 36/38. That is a quick boat from when it was designed, ie mid 80's. Not as fast as a J boat, but quicker than a Catalina etc.

Marty
I appreciate you more than you know Marty!
Thanks,
Brenda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.