Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011

Hilllman is on a distinguished road
Flooded Diesel

Hi, my boat recently flooded to the alternator of my motor. Some water in the head. Didn't reach breaker panel or dashbord. Mechanic rotated crank back and removed water within 6 hrs. Small water in oil more in gearbox and bell housing. Changed fluids several times and ran for 4 hrs and then 2 next day. Seems ok. Questions: will gearbox bearings have normal life; will valves have normal life; will corrosion eat even untouched wiring; are the seawater hoses ok for a while; will paint go away; will engine/trans have normal life. Should I replace motor/elictrical or deal with any small stuff as it comes. Thanks Hilllman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2011

DulceSuerna is on a distinguished road
I have salvaged a few boats and pickeled and restored motors a few times so here is my 2 cents for what it is worth.
Everything should be washed off and rinsed repeatedly with fresh water, After pickling I prefer to fill my engines with a few gallons of marvel mystery oil. Let them sit several days and then crank out by hand,
A key to engines is to get them warmed up and run for a few hours to burn out any moisture which you did. I would flush the motor a few times and you should get most or allof the salt deposits out of it. Typically non live electrical wires you can snip the end and re-splice new marine connectors to them and you should be ok. Many times wires hooked live to 12 volt I have found to be turned to mush or severely compromised doesnt sound like this is your case, you will just have to inspect. The transmission I would flush the same way, fill to the top then drain then repeat then repeat and run.
The key is get salt residue off and flush and get hot to get rid of moisture. Multiple rinsings help
I think your ok for the most part.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by DulceSuerna; 02-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
hose the motor down with fresh water, a few gallons worth. then use wd40 or rubbing alcohol to flush the electric parts and use lots of heat to dry the motor. one of the best ways for heat would be to start it, but with the alt removed or the belt off ( cant do do on some motors ). this will also dry the oil out.

this will get rid of most of the salt that will be a problem. but i would expect a shorter life from the starter and alt, replace them if you can afford it, keep the old one for spares. if you keep the old ones for spares rinse them again with fresh water then wd40.
Old 02-02-2011

Hilllman is on a distinguished road
flooded diesel

Thank you both very much, I am more optimistic now. I did not remove water fom bell housing which entered thru cooling vents. Do you think it drained? If not I can suck it out and spray in lps corrosion inhibitor. Should I worry about otput bearings? Sorry for questions but the boat was imaculate and I am trying to save her

Last edited by Hilllman; 02-02-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Flooded my engin bay las year but not so deeply, only problem I had later was with the gear box. The reverse became jumpy as did forward later. Found water had gotten into the gearbox oil so changed ran and changed again. All appears well now.
Happy sailing