Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiles View Post
Hi all,

We are planning a voyage where the possibility of hull punctures are very real!
What about avoiding a puncture in the first place with forward looking sonar: Forward Looking Sonar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
York reading my mind LOL

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Solar Power

Maybe solar panels would work as this in the far north in the summer and a generator not such a good idea, and maybe starting an outboard diesel will not be that hard if it is warm enough. Check on the reliability of these outboard diesels. Some Chinese diesel engines are very good and some not at all. Maybe one problem could be mosquitoes
Old 02-03-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember, if the steel boat is made with a poor choice of steel, it will be more vulnerable than a GRP boat, as the steel will be brittle and prone to shearing, kind of like what happened to that "unsinkable" Cunard ship almost 100 years ago...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-03-2011

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Buoyancy bags

Have you thought of buoyancy bags?

One option might be to have bouyancy bags already inflated in unused portions inside the boat, and have enough ready to inflate to completely keep your boat from totally sinking.

Another option would be to have a set of bouyancy bags that would go on outside of the hull and be able to completely "float" the boat. You'd also need an air source (compressor), and dry diving suit (and gear). The type I'm referring to (for the outside) are the same ones used to raise a boat post-sinking, but could easily be attached before the boat goes down.

Whatever you do, do carry a liferaft and survival suits for everyone onboard. The lot on this sight would say an EPIRB is optional.

Please stay safe and think carefully about what you're about to attempt.

Skipper
J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 02-03-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Exiles question re techniques and equipement...
Just a few thoughts in no order
This is steel boat territory and for good reason
should have many watertight compartments
protect rudder and prop from ice
carry and have means to steer/move under
power if damaged
Ability to track ice by satellite, long before radar picks up,
so you will be able to avoid/hide in protected shallow
water (deep enough for you but not for wind driven
ice flow which can not only puncture you but crush a hull
Keep distance from Polar bears don't feed, they can destroy anything on deck...be able to defend against
Be equiped/rationed to live/travel on ice/land and know
were you should be headed
Very short season, experience in last few mild years
does not mean this season will enjoy same conditions
Consider this very serious, as there is very little in
way of support and safe harbor in this very unforgiving
part of the world. Be safe, Hugo
Old 02-03-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Polar bears are one of the few predators that see HUMANS as PREY. Keep your distance is right...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-03-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
Do not name the boat "Titanic" or "Destiny."... H. Hudson's last ship before mutiny.
Old 02-03-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
That would be an interesting adventure for sure but I'm not sure I've ever heard of a glass boat doing this but I could guess it has been done a hand full of times. At the risk of being repetitive, the Northwest Passage is heavy steel boat territory. My thoughts are, if a route stays open long enough, any kind of unexpected weather could possibly trap the vessel in a bay and crush it. In any case, I would say you'll need quite a supply of survival gear should you end up on the ice, it could be some time before help arrives.

From what I know, much of the arctic is not charted very well so he careful with that.
I'm not saying you need an ice navigator aboard but I thought the information below could be useful reading.
From Transport Canada
Quote:
It is always recommended that experienced persons in ice navigation be on board all vessels operating in Arctic ice-covered waters.
Source: Ice Navigators - Transport Canada

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 02-03-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2011
Telstar 28

It has been done in a Corsair 31 trimaran, which is a GRP boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow View Post
That would be an interesting adventure for sure but I'm not sure I've ever heard of a glass boat doing this but I could guess it has been done a hand full of times. At the risk of being repetitive, the Northwest Passage is heavy steel boat territory. My thoughts are, if a route stays open long enough, any kind of unexpected weather could possibly trap the vessel in a bay and crush it. In any case, I would say you'll need quite a supply of survival gear should you end up on the ice, it could be some time before help arrives.

From what I know, much of the arctic is not charted very well so he careful with that.
I'm not saying you need an ice navigator aboard but I thought the information below could be useful reading.
From Transport Canada
Source: Ice Navigators - Transport Canada

Telstar 28
New England