Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011

mattstamour is on a distinguished road
Alcapown,
That boat looks like it would be a blast to learn on.

I am not familiar with any of those rivers, but if you see other sailboats that size and bigger there I'm sure it would be great. I would NOT venture out on a river without a small outboard though. You'll see why on your first sail.

The ad did say an anchor is included.

There are many books available to so you can read up on the basics. I started with Chapmans piloting and seamanship.

Sailing might just become a life long passion as it has for so many of us.

Oh, to be you....what college hottie wouldnt want to take you up on an offer to go for a sail!

Noank, CT
Catalina 30
Hull #222
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2011

alcapown is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the warm welcome, I will be rereading all posts too, and take in as much as I can as I think about my possible endeavor. I wonder if that is a good price on that boat, and how much an outboard will be, and putting it on etc. I have more research to do, also I went out and bought several sailing magazines today, I loved it lol. To be out on the water is something I fell in love with as a child, I can think of nothing I'd rather do. And I have always been blown away by the beauty of sailing, and the magnificent schooners of the past and present, and although I'm far from those, just to be out there sailing, even as small-scale as I will be, to me just would be an incredible experience.

And Silvio, that is fantastic advice, I do need to settle down and maybe takes thing slower and invest in some lessons first, and then make a purchase. That would be the sensible thing to do, I just struggle to show patience on this particular subject, its something that I have wanted to do my entire life, but unfortunately none of my friends nor family share the passion, so learning from experience is something I missed out on, but I have researched schools etc, and a local one shut down recently, the closest appear to be in Atlanta, and separated between 3 Saturdays, which is a tad inconvenient to make the trip three separate times, but I'll see. I also have absolutely no monetary help, thus I am really having to budget here, but its something that matters enough to me to go broke for, . Lessons cost about a third of the boat's cost, but I'm sure they are more than worth it.

And mattstamour, I like that you said it looks like a blast to learn on, what makes you say that? Also, it would continue to be a nice boat until I can upgrade in the future, right? lol. Also, the last line of your post gave me and my girlfriend a good laugh lol, I love that image, and couldnt agree more :P.

I just imagine my summer days being spent out on the water, just me and my girl(boat), and I couldnt think of a happier way to spend the days. I hope with proper planning, and research I can make my dream a reality, but it kind of seems that the cost is a bit overwhelming on all other boats beside the one I found, making me worried. But nothing worth doing or having comes easy, and I care too much to ignore this "calling" if you will till later in life. I am loving the community, thanks a ton for the warm welcome again.
Old 02-05-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcapown View Post
I have researched schools etc, and a local one shut down recently, the closest appear to be in Atlanta, and separated between 3 Saturdays, which is a tad inconvenient to make the trip three separate times, but I'll see. I also have absolutely no monetary help, thus I am really having to budget here, but its something that matters enough to me to go broke for, . Lessons cost about a third of the boat's cost, but I'm sure they are more than worth it.
Instead, go hang around your local marina (as long as there are sailboats there) on the weekend. Introduce yourself to whoever you see there, and ask if they or anyone they know would be up for taking someone sailing for an afternoon. Bring along a six-pack.

All the sailors I know are always looking for someone friendly to come along.
Old 02-05-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
Best advice I got as a young man was "If it flys, floats or fornicates you are better off renting it than buying". But, I didn't follow it either, still a good idea to learn as much as you can in OPB's (other peoples boats).
Old 02-05-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Nice boat, and a great way to start.
$1800.00 seems to me to be a bit steep, especially without a motor.
$1200.00 would be my offer; and for $600.00 you should be able to get a used 3-4 hp outboard. IMHO

Dick
Old 02-05-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I like Sirens, they are the Piper Cub of trailer sailors- forgiving boats that are easy to learn to sail, need little maintenance, aren't afraid of a breeze and will keep you from emptying your bucket of luck while you fill your cup of experience.

Two novice sailors decided to slip their new-to-them boats on our dock last season. Both bought Sirens, and both had more time under sail all season than many of the bigger boats on the dock, and grins just as wide as the rest of us. One owner has a Minn Kota trolling motor on the transom- it isn't fast, but it is enough to get him in and out of the marina.
Old 02-06-2011

mattstamour is on a distinguished road
I say the Siren looks like a blast to learn on because it appeared to me to be big enough to camp on, the cockpit looks large enough for friends. For me, a big part of sailing is watching the stars come out at night, and waking up on the water.
I purchased a Buccaneer as my first boat not knowing ANYTHING. That was a go-fast plaining hull with a lot of sail. In retrospect something a little more forgiving would have been better. I can see you loving your boat for many years.

bljones comments seem to confirm your choice from someone who knows the boat.

I say...GO FOR IT! Whats to lose? Its just money, even if its all the money you have (easy for me to say). The up side is you acquire a healthy life long passion.
Boating can be enjoyed your whole life. I raised two kids sailing. It can turn into a family activity as you get older, unlike other vices.

What does your girlfriend think?

Noank, CT
Catalina 30
Hull #222
Old 02-06-2011

The one issue that is plaguing my mind is also having to find/buy a motor. I need to check around prices, but also would have to be able to install, and probably buy a gas tank as well, id imagine. Seems like that particular proposition could get costly pretty quick, but I dont know. And mattstamour, she loves the idea. She said she would love to spend time out on the water, sailing, relaxing, shes also excited at the prospect. But ya, those are the inquiries on my mind, and I called yesterday to confirm he still had the boat for sale, and he does. So, I'm thinking I need to make a move soon, might put an offer tomorrow not sure, but the outboard subject has me a bit worried.

I want this more than anything, so I will try to do a ton of research while also writing 10 page rhetorical analysis and hundreds of pages of required reading lol, all while watching the Super Bowl, needless to say not a lot of school is getting done currently lol. But what is your opinion, or anyones, on the outboard, the money etc, and if it is definitely something I would want, over say paddles/oars etc. Thanks!!

Also matt, love the way you just say pull the trigger and go for it, I feel the EXACT same way, just trying to have it all figured out and prepared before doing so, which is hard to do haha. And I do feel this is something I want to spend a lifetime doing, I just feel held back monetarily. :/ But thats why im in school right.. ugh just don't want to waist more time NOT being out on the water. lol
Old 02-07-2011

tap is on a distinguished road
Small outboards almost always have an internal gas tank so you don't have to worry about that. There's usually a connection for an external tank too, which often comes with the outboard.

The outboard attaches to mount on the port side of the transom. It's trivial to put on. You cat put it on and take it off while you're sailing.

If there's much current you'll want the motor. Do you see people sailing on the river where you want to sail? Do they have motors?
Old 02-10-2011

Tap, thanks for the info, guess I shouldve figured it would be internal. And, I spent last year away at a university, and transferred back home, so haven't really been able to see any of the sailors, and whether they use motors or not. I will try to find out, I did find a link to a sailing club of some sort, and they list the boats I use, I will post the link maybe you can tell from that and see what you think? idk lol, but here it is.

Choosing Your 1st Boat

And unfortunately, the one sailing school that was in my area closed down last month.. which is quite the downer, but I have quite a few books, and attempting to self teach myself and have been studying everyday and will continue to, while still seeing if any opportunities to learn from experience come along. Seems the closet school is in Atlanta, but idk. I have yet to buy the boat I posted about, but it is still there, and I am considering putting in an offer today, I just want to have a boat and be out on the water so bad, I cant wait to start this soon to be life long passion, but I'm taking my time, partly because that is what my budget allows, haha.