Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
The running joke on our boat is that we learned to sail on YouTube.

Seriously though, there are a lot of videos out there that can help you to learn some of the basics and the physics. Beyond that we learned by watching, talking to others, and OTJ training.

Two years and about 1000 miles later we're having a blast and can handle most of what is thrown at us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2011

alcapown is on a distinguished road
awwww man. Just went back to the link, it has been removed from craigslist.. the day I was going to call again, my luck I suppose. That is very disappointing, seeing as how it was literally the only boat in my price range at the moment lol, it's looking like I'll end up having to wait years to start this incredible hobby, which is just not something I want to do. I want to start enjoying my passion now, but seems I may have waited too long... ugh.
Old 02-10-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
What? One boat sold, and you hanging up your search??

Get back in the game. If there was one boat that fit your bill, there are others.
I thought I'd found the perfect boat for me....until the same exact model, just a few years old showed up right next to it for one half the price, and in better shape than the newer one.
Don't give up.
Old 02-10-2011

I wont hang it up, just I finally got all amped up and went on craigslist to get the guy's number again, and it has been removed, so I guess im not 100% sure it has sold, but I see no other reason it would have been removed. I will keep up my search, as I have been doing at cities within like two hours. I just don't see many, if any at all hardly, that are in my stupid budget lol. But I won't give up, that's just not me. But it's just not looking good. And that is an awesome story, I bet you were ecstatic lol.
Old 02-10-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Craigslist ads have an expiration date, so it may not have sold. If you called before I would call back again and inquire. Check your browser cache, cell phone history, anything you can do to get the number.

Even if it is sold, there are thousands of boats out there. It will not take you years to find one.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-11-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Best of luck and welcome to Sailnet.

I'm on my first boat. I sail on a very large river here in Oregon. Love it!!!!
I'm getting sailing instruction from two individuals who live on their boats.

Will be taking classes in navigation and other subjects in the future.

Get Chapmans for sure. The Complete Sailor (Seidel) is highly recommended by many on this board. I bought it, and get lots of good information out of it. Netflix has tons of sailing videos. You'll want to get all the Anapolis School of Seamanship videos or the book. At first I bought Sailing for Dummies and they covered the subject pretty well.

Again, good luck. Look at your phone's call history and call the guy and get that boat.

I got bored last night, and went to the boat to spend the night. I was near freezing, but I got it pretty cozy with oil lamp and the stove, and classical music, alcohol and a good book. This morning, I remarked to my co-workers about how fast a guy can really move when he can see his breath after crawling out of the warm sleeping bag. I love it all!

Best of luck!!!

Hoping to sail this week, wind permitting.
Old 02-11-2011

Carl, you painted an absolute euphoric picture. I bet your night was incredible, sounds amazing. I can't wait to experience such nights! And I hope the wind allows for you to take to the water this week, let me know how it is. Also, I found the number and called the gentlemen today, and well.... the boat has been sold.. curse my college student budget, I have a feeling that siren 17 is going to be the one that got away.. I continue to look, but to no avail. I won't stop searching, but me not pulling the trigger earlier on this boat is very very disappointing.

Also, thank you very much for the advice Carl, it's much appreciated. I want all the resources I can get a hold of. About to check netflix now and begin watching some videos, although a tad depressing seeing as how I doubt I will find another vessel in my range, like the one that got away. But I will never give up, I just want so bad to be out there right now, yes even in the winter, I would love it.
Old 02-11-2011

lebondj is on a distinguished road
If you look on the Nashville craigslist there are always some boat action there. Be patient as it is easy to buy a boat but harder to get rid of it. There must be some yacht clubs there in Chattanooga for you to check out for someone willing to give you a sail. Just because it's not on Craigs list this month doesn't mean someone isn't going to list it next month. Up at Watts bar area there are also boats for sale. Concord Yacht club in Knoxville has summer sailing lessons so you could look into that. I sold my old 18' sailboat, trailer, and trolling motor for $700 last year so the deals are out there.
Old 02-12-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
to learn the hobby and become a good sailor
Just a word of warning, this dose not compute.
Its more an all or nothing choice for most.
Never at rest when not on board
Regret the years I missed
Safe sailing
Old 02-12-2011

haha I like your mentality centaursailor, I can definitely see that being the case lol. And wow, lebondj you gave someone a heck of a deal, wish I could fine one like that lol. And ya, I've been searching those area craigslist etc, and will continue to. I really regret not getting the siren 17 when I could, it was an hour away and exactly what I wanted, and in my budget. Because now, Im finding absolutely NOTHING, but I wont stop looking. Hopefully the tide will change.