Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
alcapown,
Sorry you missed out on the Siren. In many ways it was an ideal boat for someone in your shoes. Stuff happens.
Another boat will come along, guaranteed. There are other places to look for boats for sale then on the internet. Most yacht clubs will have a bulletin board where members can post boats and gear for sale/wanted. Find a few nearby clubs and visit them to inquire about anyone selling a smaller sailboat. If they have a bulletin board set up they will point you to it.
I wouldn't get "married" to the Siren 17' as there are some other good boats out there that are trailer sailors you could afford to own. I've sailed on a Rhodes 19'/Mariner 19' that has a small cuddy cabin that sleeps 2 uncomfortably. Another contender is the Compac boats. Here is an interesting blog of a couple sailing their Compac 16' down to the FL. Keys: Adventure Vista - A View Into Our World of Adventure
Small boats are great for a small budget.
Keep looking.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2011

alcapown is on a distinguished road
Good advice, I will definitely looking into doing that, and thanks for the blog link, I've been reading and its a great read, I'll continue to follow them. And I am continuing to look for my trailer sailor, I hope to find one sooner than later, I am so anxious lol. But until then, I will keep studying the hobby, learning whatever I can, watching any videos I can, I want to be prepared and sound when getting out on the water for the first time. I keep checking multiple craigslist to no avail, but hopefully something will come up soon. Thanks for the great advice CalebD.
Old 02-13-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Yes. Even though I'm probably almost 30 years older then Bob & Molly (from the blog link in my previous post) I enjoyed reading their whole trip.
Reading about their trip to Key West and back in a 16' sailboat was quite interesting to me.
Yes. Check informal sailing/boating clubs up to blue blazer Yacht Clubs for notices by members looking to sell their trailer sailors. Not everyone wants to put up a craigslist ad or ebay.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2011

I found this posted today..

1988 Hunter Sail Boat

I texted the guy just to inquire, asked a few questions, he answered saying it's ready to sail, everything is there and riged, and that I may want to pressure wash it its a little dirty, hasnt been out this year yet. Then he said its all glass, only wood is a few trim pieces not much to rot. He then said hunter makes a very good boat and that I should look them up on the web.

What do you guys think, the no motor is a definite downer, but I posted the link and definitely look forward to opinions, thanks guys, you all are great.
Old 02-14-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
$1500 is a pretty low price...how big is the boat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcapown View Post

1988 Hunter Sail Boat

I texted the guy just to inquire, asked a few questions, he answered saying it's ready to sail, everything is there and riged, and that I may want to pressure wash it its a little dirty, hasnt been out this year yet. Then he said its all glass, only wood is a few trim pieces not much to rot. He then said hunter makes a very good boat and that I should look them up on the web.

What do you guys think, the no motor is a definite downer, but I posted the link and definitely look forward to opinions, thanks guys, you all are great.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-14-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1988 Hunter Sail Boat

Everything depends on a close-up inspection, which you're probably going to want to do yourself since a survey would be a big chunk of the cost of the boat (and that price is probably fair, if the boat's in good shape).

Read the Boat Inspection Tips thread.

On top of that, I'd say bring along a plastic-handled screwdriver, and go over the boat carefully. Check especially around areas of possible water entry (i.e. anything bolted through the deck - bow pulpit, chainplates, etc) to make sure you get a nice hollow sound and not a dull thud, and that everything feels stiff. Look closely at: running rigging (replacing that may be in the cards anyhow),standing rigging including turnbuckles, look for stress around chainplates and at mast step, make sure the bilge looks dry and like it's always been dry. Take a close look at the centerboard winch, pin if you can see it, cable. Is there an OB bracket?

If it's a Hunter 23 (looks like it is) it weighs over a ton, plus at least another half for the trailer. Can your car pull that?
Old 02-14-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it is a Hunter 23, that's a pretty low price and the boat is likely in correspondingly bad shape.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-14-2011
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If it is a Hunter 23, that's a pretty low price and the boat is likely in correspondingly bad shape.
I dunno, Craigslist tends to be cheap. Wouldn't $2k be a fair price for a 23' trailerable of mid-80s vintage, without updated rigging or sails, and no motor? With a good OB it could get $3k-3.5k depending - and that's typical for what you might put into a motor.

There are piles of big cheap boats (26-30') on the B-more and Eastern Shore craigslists now, some of which appear to be in respectable shape, for under $6k.

Boats is cheap :-) though I'm sure things would cost more thru a borker. [EDIT: <-- Freudian slip...broker!]

Last edited by zedboy; 02-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2011

I drive a pathfinder(suv), I should be good right? And I will get some more information, I wonder if I could find any of that out through calling/phone because it's 2 hours away, I'd like to know what I could before going out there. I will also use what you said about the inspection as a reference in hopes I am knowledgeable enough to thoroughly check it out, this will be my first so I need to brush up on some words you used, and the locations of said words, etc.

I think its a 23, but I feel silly I didnt think to ask, I just assumed I guess lol, I'll double check.
Old 02-14-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wont hang it up, just I finally got all amped up and went on craigslist to get the guy's number again, and it has been removed, so I guess im not 100% sure it has sold, but I see no other reason it would have been removed. I will keep up my search, as I have been doing at cities within like two hours. I just don't see many, if any at all hardly, that are in my stupid budget lol. But I won't give up, that's just not me. But it's just not looking good. And that is an awesome story, I bet you were ecstatic lol.
Glad to hear that.
The biggest mistake you could make is to NOT get a boat!
Like mentioned by others above, my biggest regret is waiting so long, and the years I missed on the water!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.