Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011

keriann is on a distinguished road
1971 35 Foot Morgan Sailboat

I just bought a 1971 35 Foot Morgan Sailboat, I know nothing about it and am trying to find an Owners Manual. Does anyone know how or where I can find one?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Morgan 35 - Boom!

Posts #9 & 10 in the thread linked above have users with a manual.. not recently active but you might still take a shot at a PM once you have your post count up a bit.

btw, Welcome to Sailnet and Congrats..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-04-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Have you tried contacting Catalina Yachts in Largo, FL? I believe they acquired Morgan back in the '80s.

I am assuming of course that you have already searched the net.

Congratulations on you new boat!!
Old 02-04-2011

keriann is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much for the help. Yes, I have searched the internet. No luck. My search results did come up with this forum, which, with your help has given me some answers. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2011
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Did you check out the Morgan owners website? Congrats on the boat!
Old 02-05-2011

boofus is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the boat! Is it an aft galley or starboard galley model?

I have a 72, hull #172. I agree not much out there on the web. There is a morgan owners Yahoo group which is pretty active. My best guess is there were only a couple hundred of these boats built. I haven't spoken to Charlie directly but have bumped into a couple of local people who used to work for or knew him personally. Putting the puzzle pieces together it seems that in the builder boom of the late 60's early 70's this was an attempt to add another hull to the line. There are rumors about adding a couple of feet to the 30 or 34 foot mold.

Overall build quality is average at best. From the couple of through-hulls I added, I was surprised to find only 1/4-3/8 inch thick glass layup with all the talk about overbuilt hulls from that period. Most centerboards are glassed over or pinned up, because of constant maintenance to the pennant tube and winch mechanism. The boat still sails quite well without the board down. At 12000lb she is a little tender with a lot of sail up.

A couple of problem areas to look for:

The original mast step is a piece of mild steel I-beam in the front of the bilge. My mast also has some significant corrosion due to electrolosis where these two meet.

The rudder post. I know of a M-35 that sunk of clearwater due to a lost rudder. Don't know the specifics, It just makes me look at mine that much more closely. I will be diging out all of the old filler around the packing gland at next haulout because I have noticed a little weeping from around the mounting bolts....

Then there are all of the other common issues with boat of this age....

Happy sailing!
Old 06-13-2011

cognomen is on a distinguished road
Just found your post from February. I have a Morgan 35 Classic, hull #113. If you read that thread about the boom and outhaul, that's her. Bought her in the fall of '07, so not a long time, but I've learned a lot restepping the mast and redoing electrical and plumbing. Did you ever find a manual? There were two rigs, tall and regular, and apparently some like mine were modified with a shortened boom and center traveller. Mine has a vang now and the roller furling boom is just an eccentricity -- it's rigged with single-line reefing.
Hope you're enjoying your first season!