Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Our boat is 36'. We don't want anything bigger. Maybe two more feet would cure you! Of course, it has to be the right boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
My 2 cents

I think I get what you are saying. I am looking at a 34 footer myself but that's a boat I would have for myself to do a circumnavigation. But I have no kids and two exwives. If she's reading this. (It's in the mail honey)
Anyway If your kids are not in college yet I would recommend selling them. (especially if they are teenagers)
Then you and your wife go buy the boat you want with the money and let someone else try to get them to take out the garbage.
The first thing I did when I figured out I was once a teenager. Apologized to my parents.
sounds like a plan except for the sell them and you can buy a boat with the money. have you seen what you can get for a teenager in todays economy. you will need a lot of those teenagers to trade in just to get the dingy for your boat.
Old 02-04-2011
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
you will need a lot of those teenagers to trade in just to get the dingy for your boat.
Only a Dingy? Still that's more then you had before.

Two feet? Let's really dream big guys. Let's go with another 6ft and make the new boat an even 40footer.
Old 02-05-2011

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35 View Post
Being practical sucks. But the alternative is worse. I am in the same boat as you down to the two kids with college on the horizon and an older boat in the same size range as yours. Having a boat that is paid for, even if it's not the boat of your dreams, is a pretty special place to be. I think the memories you've made on your boat must prove that out. It certainly does for me.
Hey, I knew I wouldn't be the only one with this issue. Quick note to others-- if you have kids, get boats and go sailing when they are very young (before they know any better), but be warned it gets hard to justify larger and more expensive boats as they approach college age.

Best advice I ever got-- "go sailing with the kids when they are young, no matter how small or cheap or old your boat is. In the future, you may have the boat of your dreams, but you most likely won't have kids to sail with anymore."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2011

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimgo View Post
To add to the dog's comment, the interest $$ and the price depreciation you've got on the new boat are for you to eat, you can not recover it. Plus, the constant worries not to ding the shiny new sides, complex systems that will brake down...
It does not worth it.
One other note-- sailboats never work out financially. I heard a talk by Tom Cunliffe a short while ago. He was talking to a large group of sailors. He started with something like this-- "We all have something in common-- a passion for boats that makes us oblivious to what a bad investment they are, because the rewards of the boats exceed rational thought."

It's cool that your kids are young *and* you have a 23 footer. In the future, it's always an option to charter larger boats for day sails or weekend trips, just to find out how you like it as a family. For example, we just found a place to afford-ably charter a Catalina 25 for a few days the next time we're back in the Pacific Northwest. We used to be able to charter an Islander 28 for about 800 a week, until it was sold.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Old 02-05-2011

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Jim, if I recall correctly, we had an exchange on this very topic quite a while back in another thread. At the time I was boatless. At present I have a 35 ft Swedish cutter (my last boat!), similar to your Rival in the sense of being an older, quality boat worth spending money on. I also have a wife and 2 teenage kids. We just got back from a month of cruising the islands on the coast of S„o Paulo and Rio and I can say that having another 2 feet of boat wouldn't have made a difference. Space on a boat is always going to be limited and privacy is illusory, whether it be 34 ft, 36ft or even 40ft. The larger bills for the larger boat are real enough though. Seriously, from what I've read of your contributions on Sailnet, you and your family seem to be getting along fine with your Rival. I also detect quite a bit of owner pride, which is always a good thing! So, my 2 cents ... keep that lovely (paid-for) Rival, lavish care on her and enjoy the sailing. Two feet more of boat won't make the experience any better.
Old 02-05-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
There's no end. I started with a 16', then 18', then 26', then craved a 30'.
Well now I have a Cape Dory 25 paid for, and am upgrading as $ and time permit. She is sparkling bright, flawless, looks newer than new.
"Do your best with what you have" is a hard pill to swallow but has served us well. That's true in just about every aspect of seeking happiness. IMHO

Dick
Old 02-05-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
For me, the question is -- can you accomplish your sailing goals with the boat you have? What sailing would a larger boat allow you to do that you can't do with your current boat?

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom." – Captain Jack Sparrow

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 02-05-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
For me, the question is -- can you accomplish your sailing goals with the boat you have? What sailing would a larger boat allow you to do that you can't do with your current boat?

"Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom." – Captain Jack Sparrow
Might only be temporary in my case, but Im with Captain JackWish he sailed these waters.
Safe sailing

Last edited by centaursailor; 02-05-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Jim, I think it was Neil Young who said..." Love the one you're with"

It's so much easier to Love a boat that's completely paid for, than one that competes for all your disposable income. ( especially with college bound kids)

I've couldn't help notice that you started out talking about 2 feet more, but then talk about a 40 footer ( 6 feet more) That's a huge difference in boats.

I have to 2 ft 'itis from time to time. The newer 362 sabre, has a full shower, that my older 34 doesn't, and a few other features that appeal to me.

The thing about jumping up is that everything jumps up. I assume that you have slip or mooring fees, haul out fees etc. So, not only would you be paying a loan, you'd be taking on all the other increased fees that come with a larger boat, not to mention the fact that everything you purchase for a bigger boat has a larger price tag.

So you have to ask, how much you are willing to spend on an annual basis for the space or the features you don't have now? For me an extra 2 feet would cost me around $400 yr. just in slip fees. Which ain't all that bad... 6 foot more would easily be an extra $1,000. yr. in addition to larger sails, thicker lines, bigger anchors, etc etc.

For now, I've decided to love the one I'm with.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.