Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
In fact, my daughter has said more than once

"You notice that we never fight on the boat?"

Which is actually true. Shocking, but true.

For me, at least, having kids kind of kick started my career-- can't tread water when you have kids-- and that was a good thing. So, sailing with them has been a pleasure, and may be the best sailing we ever do.

However, a nice forty footer could be...

And HOW OLD is she?

I do envy you. My kids liked to sail until their mother and I split up; then they wanted nothing to do w/ sailing. (like their Mom!)

Course now I have a GF that loves to sail and is going on an offshore delivery w/ me soon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2011

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
So, my 2 cents ... keep that lovely (paid-for) Rival, lavish care on her and enjoy the sailing. Two feet more of boat won't make the experience any better.
Thanks! It does help to hear this from another source.

For example, my career can involve a lot of purchasing (sometimes very large scale) that requires life cycle and total ownership cost analysis. I.e., all many variables and double-checks go into certain decisions.

On our boat, we put £1,000 into new Lewmar self-tailing winches last winter (which are a delight to use), and now we have just a couple of days to decide whether to order a stack pack we had priced at the London boat show. Or should we save up for a fully redone deck with Flexiteek in a year or two. Solar panels on an arch? Or should we not be putting so much into a 1974 boat to begin with?

You get the idea-- in the end, though, it's about the sailing. We have a three week cruise planned for this summer, possibly with a 5-7 days of bobbing around the Isles of Scilly if the weather allows. Then we have a second week-long trip possibly to the Channel Islands in August. There won't be any other boat for those cruises, and if all goes well we'll likely be set for the next several years with gradual improvements and upgrades.

That is the plan, but at the same times it's hard not to notice that used boat prices over here are significantly different from 3 years ago. But, starting over again would take too much time-- and the clock is ticking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2011

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And HOW OLD is she?

Course now I have a GF that loves to sail and is going on an offshore delivery w/ me soon.
Well, she is human. I've heard "I HATE sailing" more times than I can count, as well as a week of "I'm not going!" before some of our trips. Another favorite of hers: "NORMAL families go to hotels on beaches on VACATIONS. We puke over gunwales."

The funny thing is that as soon as she's on the boat, that fades, she commits and then she typically has a great time and is proud of her accomplishments. She has the second best record aboard regarding sea sickness, and more than once it was just the two of us on watch in the rough stuff. She's still mad about our last trip, because we anchored in a strong wind with a close lee shore and it was most uncomfy, but she'll forgive us.

She's eleven. She's been out on sailboats with us since she was four. One of my favorite sails was on the Columbia River in our 27 footer when she was seven years old. My daughter who "hates sailing" looked over at another sailboat about 400 yards off our starboard and said "that boat has too much freeboard." And she was right.

Good luck with the GF!

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Old 02-05-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Oddly enough, my wife is more prone to 2 ft-itis than I am. Don't give her any ideas!

A fascinating thread. We joined our sailing co-op 15 years ago, starting on O'Day 20's. We took our son with us and had some interesting "teachable moments". As time went by, we upgraded to the club's Catalina 27's and our son developed his own interests as he grew up.

Two years ago, we finally took the plunge and bought our own boat, upgrading to a Mirage 29' sailboat. While bigger boats were available, a key factor was selecting something that the two of us could manage, and eventually do most of the work on as we gained more experience and confidence.

We are still in the process of learning, and adjusting the boat to fit our needs. Last year's big project was the furling system and dinghy purchase. This year's big project is the rest of the rigging. Next year's list is already being compiled. I knew these types of projects were likely when we bought the boat, and I'm happy with it. This also makes it much easier to resist The Admiral's 2 ft-itis. I'm in my happy space!

To the OP, I would suggest that you are in your own happy space with the boat that you presently own. That said, if you are prepared to spend the time needed to make a bigger boat your own, go for it! Some folks are quite happy doing that. However, if you aren't certain (your original post suggests some uncertainty), why make a change.

Whatever you choose, all the best.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 02-05-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjunkie View Post
To the OP, I would suggest that you are in your own happy space with the boat that you presently own. That said, if you are prepared to spend the time needed to make a bigger boat your own, go for it! Some folks are quite happy doing that. However, if you aren't certain (your original post suggests some uncertainty), why make a change.

Whatever you choose, all the best.
That should read TIME & MONEY...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.