Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011

Jim H is on a distinguished road
What stupid tension...

I wonder how many others have this issue...

There's a natural desire to have a boat two feet longer. In that case, for us, a 36 footer. Maybe a pretty, cream-colored Rival 36 from the radically modern late 1980s...

However, we have a tendency to buy older, heavier sea-worthy boats. We like newer and lighter and longer boats, but either a) they seem expensive or b) they seem flimsy. And c) in our price range, they are coastal cruisers.

So, heck, we're coastal cruisers right now, but we've been out in 45 knots, and the channel can be more than a bit rough, and boats need to be a bit beefier here (or the sailors more skilled with race boats, which seem to have stainless that bends quite willingly in strong winds on the Fastnet). Yet, there are many happy Jeanneau and Beneteau owners here as well.

So, we have a heavy but comfy 34 footer, all paid off, and there's still the thought of "wouldn't 40 feet of something be nice." Is it essential? No. Would it be more comfy? Yes. Would a loan be involved? Yes. And what about the kid's college funds? Ugh.

There's a lot to be said about having a boat paid off. A smaller boat is more affordable to keep in good nick, and buy new winches for, and do nice upgrades on without breaking the bank. And, plenty of our breed (Rival 34s) have done Atlantic circuits, and raced to the Azores, etc. It's just different mindset from having a Malo or HR or 44 foot cruiser/racer.

So, the year-to-year conundrum-- invest in the owned boat, save for a big boat, master the small boat, plan for a bigger boat, or go small/go now, or go once the kids are off the college (when a smaller boat becomes larger, and really one shouldn't have a boat two big for two empty nesters to handle anyway).

Sure, there's no one answer, and we're lucky to own and sail anything at all. I just wish the question would be less distracting.

Anyway, off to work on the 34 footer tomorrow, a little piece of home for a family of renters...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jim H; 02-04-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
My 2 cents

I think I get what you are saying. I am looking at a 34 footer myself but that's a boat I would have for myself to do a circumnavigation. But I have no kids and two exwives. If she's reading this. (It's in the mail honey)
Anyway If your kids are not in college yet I would recommend selling them. (especially if they are teenagers)
Then you and your wife go buy the boat you want with the money and let someone else try to get them to take out the garbage.
The first thing I did when I figured out I was once a teenager. Apologized to my parents.
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Two-foot-itis is pretty common... personally, I'd say keep the boat you know so well and have paid off, rather than go to a new boat that is going to have its own set of problems and issues and cost you a lot more to get comfortable with.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Anyway If your kids are not in college yet I would recommend selling them. (especially if they are teenagers)
Yeah, we definitely considered that. The irritating part is that they are great kids, and they do sailing adventures with us on a small boat (for four) without complaint. In fact, my daughter has said more than once

"You notice that we never fight on the boat?"

Which is actually true. Shocking, but true.

For me, at least, having kids kind of kick started my career-- can't tread water when you have kids-- and that was a good thing. So, sailing with them has been a pleasure, and may be the best sailing we ever do.

However, a nice forty footer could be...

Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Two-foot-itis is pretty common... personally, I'd say keep the boat you know so well and have paid off, rather than go to a new boat that is going to have its own set of problems and issues and cost you a lot more to get comfortable with.
That advice is completely sensible, and is our current course.

The other benefit is that a Rival 34 is not an easy boat to handle. She's heavy and spins like a pinwheel in reverse. Another Rival owner said to us-- "Good for you! A Rival has a real learning curve. You can sail any boat after that."

The other plus is the owner's association--

Front

I really admire how well and how far these boats can be sailed.

Old 02-04-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
You sound like the luckiest man in the world to me ..

Keep It !
Old 02-04-2011

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Being practical sucks!

Being practical sucks. But the alternative is worse. I am in the same boat as you down to the two kids with college on the horizon and an older boat in the same size range as yours. Having a boat that is paid for, even if it's not the boat of your dreams, is a pretty special place to be. I think the memories you've made on your boat must prove that out. It certainly does for me.

I have a friend that went bigger, and newer and after a couple of years could no longer justify the mortgage and expenses associated with a bigger boat so he ended up selling it and bought a little power boat. I know you are much in a much happier place than he is. Enjoy it, life is good.

Thanks for the photo, it has me longing for spring and being on the water again.
Old 02-04-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
As a Catalina 36 owner (2 over 25 years) I have been in a state of perpetual Catalina 42 lust for YEARS. This is a common move I'm told. When they introduced the 375, I really loved it....until I saw the price. I decided to embark on what I called my "Sales Tax Plan". Not sure if you have sales taxes in the UK, but we sure do here in California, about 8.75%. What I did was set aside just the sales tax on a new boat and put that money into renewing and improving every inch of my current paid off 36. From lifelines to cowl vents to electronics, etc, I now have a minty fresh Cat 36 without that nasty mortgage aftertaste. Oh, and I never did spend all of the sales tax money.

Mike
Old 02-04-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Smile

Being over here on the East Coast of Ireland I,m glad I can still afford to keep my 26fter. With the involuntary contribution to the bankers and the drop in my main asset I'm looking forward to a good long summer cruise to break the slog. Still back to 2ftism, cant say it affects me as I find Aurora a handful on a long haul and I mostly go single handed so no real issues with space.
Happy sailing
Old 02-04-2011

vadimgo is on a distinguished road
I sure hope to reach the same destination and to have the same problems.
I currently have a 23 ft. boat, and my kids are still long time to college
- 3 years and 3 weeks. (hell, right know I can not get enough sleepin ). My major concern (after $$ thats obvious) is whether I will have any time for sailing next couple of years.
My strategy is concentrate on the function - spend on the stuff that makes the boat sail better - only, do not care about the looks, and use the money and time to go sailing.
To add to the dog's comment, the interest $$ and the price depreciation you've got on the new boat are for you to eat, you can not recover it. Plus, the constant worries not to ding the shiny new sides, complex systems that will brake down...
It does not worth it.
You've got it right already, just enjoy the wind and sea!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.