Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Another problem with these boats is that the deck on some continues at the same level into the cabin (see the new Moody for an example). So you don't just have to worry about a boarding wave flooding the cockpit but the cabin as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
"So where do you sail with such clement weather that you NEVER get water sluicing down the deck?

Its not where you sail, but what you sail. If you sail modern boats you almost never have water slucing down the deck, at least not aft of the leeward shrouds.

"And since when will a PFD act to keep someone in the boat?"
When its an inflatible with a harness which is teathered to the boat. Corm, You need to spend more time with modern boats and hardware- Trust me on this..

Seriously, I have mixed emotions on the open transon on a cruiser thing. I love the idea of having really a really big way to drain the cockpit without having seacocks, especially in winter. But I also hate giving up the security of the wrap around cockpit, and the structural aspects of the transom solidly crossing the stern, and the rudder post extending all the way to the top of the cockpit seat level. I do think there is an issue with things rolling or sliding out the opening. (They may not blow out or even roll, just slide, as in winch handles don't blow over the side).

But I am also bothered by the extremes we go through to avoid percieved 'inconvenience' . It drives me crazy that the award for innovative hardware went to a motorized winch made in range of sizes that includes small enough for small boats, and that has one button that can ease and another to sheet in, saving the inconvenience of having to actually handle the sheet. It drives me crazy to hear salesmen hawking the absense of a bridge deck or mid-boom mainsheeting or arch mounted travelers because they avoid the inconvenience of stepping over something that is knee high. At some point we need to admit that one of the joys of sailing is doing something which is not always convenient. And yes your are right I do sound like a curmudgeon, what of it....

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-04-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Open end of the boat----too large a hole for me. I dont need my feet wet by the sea washing in from behind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The inconvenience of stepping over a bridgedeck or a transom might just be the difference between having a seaworthy boat and a dock queen.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
"So where do you sail with such clement weather that you NEVER get water sluicing down the deck?

Its not where you sail, but what you sail. If you sail modern boats you almost never have water slucing down the deck, at least not aft of the leeward shrouds.

"And since when will a PFD act to keep someone in the boat?"
When its an inflatible with a harness which is teathered to the boat. Corm, You need to spend more time with modern boats and hardware- Trust me on this..

Jeff

Quote:
But I am also bothered by the extremes we go through to avoid percieved 'inconvenience' . It drives me crazy that the award for innovative hardware went to a motorized winch made in range of sizes that includes small enough for small boats, and that has one button that can ease and another to sheet in, saving the inconvenience of having to actually handle the sheet. It drives me crazy to hear salesmen hawking the absense of a bridge deck or mid-boom mainsheeting or arch mounted travelers because they avoid the inconvenience of stepping over something that is knee high. At some point we need to admit that one of the joys of sailing is doing something which is not always convenient.
A point to which I totally ascribe.

Last edited by cormeum; 02-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The inconvenience of stepping over a bridgedeck or a transom might just be the difference between having a seaworthy boat and a dock queen.
Thus we can explain the Rep Pwr 9 that SD doth possess.
Old 02-04-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Thus we can explain the Rep Pwr 9 that SD doth possess.
42 billion posts doesn't hurt either.
Old 02-04-2011

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Some people just do not like change and never will. My Grandfather never bough a car with an automatic transmission and my great granddad though cars were a bad thing and stuck to mules and such. Designs move on and are driven by many factors.

The boats with aft openings into the cockpit have been in use for many years..... almost every charter (80 to 90%) have open cockpits.... think you could also consider all cats having them.

My boat has one and went though a couple of hurricanes with no water in the cabin and no reason for concern on the mooring with 105 MPH winds and very confused seas coming in all directions at the same time. She was dry as a bone.

Although no by choice I've had following seas over 7 feet pass under me on a trip to the Spanish Virgins... got a wet heal on right foot once. In heavy seas you ALWAYS put your companion way board up, but I've never had water enter the cockpit except for when I drip it coming from the swim platform. I personally would never want the hassle of getting aboard a boat with out one unless it was tied up to a dock....... as has been said before.... that could be one reason people who know what they want in a boat often exclude those that are difficult to get in from the water.

Everyone has preferences..... in the Carib it is very clear what that is as far as transoms go.

But each to his own.... my great granddad would probably still have his mule if he were still around.
Old 02-04-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
As for me, I'll buy an open transom boat when they come in a center cockpit layout
Old 02-04-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
My friend has a Dehler 33 with an open transom that was designed as a cruiser/racer. It has a great feature that solves this issue. The boat has a custom designed removable locker that can be installed across the aft end of the cockpit, converting it from an open transom boat into what is basically a standard transom boat with a swim platform. I'm surprised more companies don't do this with their open transom designs.
Many boats have them for the ones that want them: J 122, JPK 110, Salona, Hanse 400. Others have a back bench that serves as a seat and partially close the boat among them First and Elan yachts. If you have kids you can use a net to close the remaining open space.