Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Anytime something has been lost overboard, it's gone over the side, not out the back. Usually it's the butter fingers of a crew member that loses the winch handle, gps, phone, so I don't see how a closed transom has anything to do with it. Locking winch handles always make me chuckle, they never "magically" fall overboard, it's when the human element is molesting one that causes the tragedy.

And yes, a PFD with tether will keep someone on board better than your grasp or that of the jolly green giant.

I still stick to my statement kids should not have the run of the boat relying on lifelines, netting, or a boats design to keep them on board.
Old 02-04-2011

luken7 is on a distinguished road
We have a Beneteau 361, open transom. So far I have lost a radio and a leatherman, but still love the open transfom for boarding and water access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
This is the same to me as full vs fin keel, marconi vs fractional rig, center vs aft vs deck salon........... or the footed vs non footed main,,,,,,

Take your pick, choose you postives and negatives, and move on from there!

Marty
Old 02-04-2011

mikehradecky is on a distinguished road
Small dogs and little ones can easily slip through that opening. It's a nagging fear on my boat. I plan on putting some netting across that opening. However, the sugar scoop and open transom are a nice feature. All things in equal measure.
Old 02-05-2011

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Love the open transom.... makes it easier for pirates to board in the middle of the night
Old 02-05-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It drives me crazy that the award for innovative hardware went to a motorized winch made in range of sizes that includes small enough for small boats, and that has one button that can ease and another to sheet in, saving the inconvenience of having to actually handle the sheet. It drives me crazy to hear salesmen hawking the absense of a bridge deck or mid-boom mainsheeting or arch mounted travelers because they avoid the inconvenience of stepping over something that is knee high. At some point we need to admit that one of the joys of sailing is doing something which is not always convenient. And yes your are right I do sound like a curmudgeon, what of it....
Ah-YUP. Couldn't agree more. It's all part of the "dumbing down" of sailing to make it easier and easier for people w/ more $$$ than Sense to go out on the ocean. Blame the marketing people. They want to sell boats and can't sell boats to people who actually have to LEARN seamanship and sail handling skills...etc.

Funny story. A few years back I was at the Annap. Boat show and stopped by the display of XXXXX brand. They only had one boat and I made the comment that I always liked their (old design from the 70's) to which the salesman said "ew, what would you want to sail an old boat like that for; you don't drive around in an old car. Let me ask you what did you drive over here today?"

My response: 1986 Porsche.

His jaw sort of dropped, he said nothing and my GF and I kinda chuckled and walked off.
Old 02-05-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
Open transom boats DO NOT take on water from the stern, the swim step doesn't even get wet.
Old 02-05-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
As for me, I'll buy an open transom boat when they come in a center cockpit layout
That gives a whole (hole) new meaning to island berth.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-05-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I have no experience with open transoms, other than occasionally wishing I had one while trying to manhandle the 80lb dog up the side from the dinghy :-))
I'm sure that open transoms are more prone to filling from a breaking following sea than a traditional cockpit style boat, but it would drain in a fraction of the time, so perhaps it's a wash (pun intended). I'm sure if I had one I would like it, not sure that I would pick one if I was buying a cruising boat for crossing oceans, for various reasons.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-05-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Open transom boats DO NOT take on water from the stern, the swim step doesn't even get wet.
Oh, really? Even when, say, running under bare poles, lying to a Series Drogue? (grin)

What would concern me the most, is the lack of a solid rail aft of the cockpit... Some of those spans of lifeline wire across the more beamy transoms out there today don't afford much security, especially when you inject opening gate fittings into the mix... Not to mention, open transoms seem to invariably mean double helms, and they're not for me...

Can't argue with their convenience at anchor, or for shuttling the crowds on and off at the boat shows, and I'm sure they're fine for coastal cruising and motoring down the ICW... But for offshore? No freakin' way...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.