Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
The Open stern is to make it easier for the Orcas, sharks and Crocs to snack on that boats crew...
Well, not so sure about that, but we should probably add thieves to that list… (grin)

One feature of sugar scoop and open transoms many people fail to consider, if you’re cruising in a region where security is an issue (which will only continue to become more and more prevalent), they will make your boat a much more enticing target than a neighboring boat that might be considerably more difficult to board from the water…

In places like Honduras or Guatemala, for example, where boat burglaries are routinely committed by swimmers from shore, a sugar scoop transom can virtually amount to an "open" invitation…

Sounds like it’s become a real problem lately in the Marshall Islands, for instance:

Quote:

February 7, 2011 – Marshall Islands, Pacific Ocean

We've received several reports of theft and ransacking of cruising boats in the Marshall Islands over the last few days. Patrick and Rebecca Childress of the Rhode Island-based Valiant 40 Brick House sent this summary of recent unfortunate events that are tarnishing the reputation of this destination popular with cruisers during the South Pacific cyclone season.

"High- and low-level theft throughout Majuro in the Marshall Islands has spilled into the harbor, affecting world-roaming cruising yachts. Within a few months' span, 10 unattended yachts have been broken into at night and ransacked. One daylight boarding was witnessed by a fellow cruiser and the teenagers were apprehended. Police refused to press charges. Another band of thieves responsible for some night intrusions and cuttings of moorings were apprehended and confessed. No prosecution of these politically connected people could be enacted. Another group of stealthy thieves boarded vacant yachts after midnight via SCUBA gear. Setting off loud alarms on our yacht, these experienced thieves vanished underwater despite the earnest work of cruisers in dinghies to locate them. Since the local police will not move past the shoreline, defense from and capture of thieves is left to the cruisers themselves. If you make the unfortunate mistake to leave your floating home in Majuro so you can return to the U.S. for important business, like we did, it's almost certain you will return to find you had uninvited visitors and the police are of no assistance."

Chuck Handy, who has lived aboard in the Marshalls for the last two years aboard his 41-ft boat Deviant, says he's been boarded by thieves three times during that time. "Boats that have come north for the winter are leaving daily in fear of their safety and for their property," he writes. "The Marshall Islands have become one of the most dangerous places to visit by yachtsmen as a result of this activity. It's unfortunate because the Marshallese People are generally very kind and welcoming but these young men consider themselves gangsters and above the law which is incapable of stopping them."

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2011

Copprhead is on a distinguished road
I like Bavaria's new "tail gate" approach, for me it combines all the best options for a cruiser:
Closed when at sea, makes you feel safe, nothing can accidently roll out the back. Open when at anchor or berthed, easy walk-through, plenty of space on the "balcony" to lay, sit, shower...
Attached Thumbnails
Open Transom trend-03cr32_667_04-kopie.jpg   Open Transom trend-11cr32_2929-kopie.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Wauquiez does something similar... and other manufacturers are following suit - I think the newest Benes have something like this as well.

Shame that Bavaria has produced an otherwise rather ugly boat, though.... (JMO...)

Another issue with Bavaria is that the ladder is now a separate piece that needs stowing, and won't float very well of fumbled while attempting to insert it into the platform. Without the ladder the platform is actually quite high above the water for small dinghy/kayak in-and-out.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-24-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2011

TSL is on a distinguished road
Like my old Ford Ranch Wagon, the tailgate may be the answer.
Old 02-24-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Yeah, that’s pretty sexy, alright… But, I look at some of these trends, and can only wonder - Have the twin phenomena of charter vacations and boat show comparison shopping completely warped the perspective of new boat buyers today? Does ANYONE care about engineering/structural issues anymore, or are matters such as how commodious a boat is downstairs, or can the tender be boarded without bending a knee, the ONLY things that matter in today’s market?

A fiberglass boat’s transom – especially in an era where sterns continue to get wider and wider – is a MAJOR component of a boat’s structural integrity… Couple the absence of that component, with the use of a split backstay that wants to pry upwards and inwards the outboard corners of those sternquarters, well… a moniker such as “Bendy Toy” or “Flexible Flyer” might not be so far-fetched, after all…

For weekend/vacation sailing from one marina to the next, I’m sure this sort of stuff is no big deal… But, for ocean sailing, or even moderate usage over what should be the theoretical lifespan of such a boat, no freakin’ way…
Old 02-24-2011

Copprhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
A fiberglass boat’s transom – especially in an era where sterns continue to get wider and wider – is a MAJOR component of a boat’s structural integrity… Couple the absence of that component, with the use of a split backstay that wants to pry upwards and inwards the outboard corners of those sternquarters, well… a moniker such as “Bendy Toy” or “Flexible Flyer” might not be so far-fetched, after all…
This boat has swept back spreaders which already hold the mast, so the (split) backstay is mostly for trimming and doesn't produce as much load as you would expect on more traditional designs.

But I hear you. There's a boat for every purpose.
Old 02-24-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I like the tailgate idea. That's something I'll probably look for on my next boat (or at least a walk through transom). If properly built (not saying it is), it should be structural when in the folded up position, so that issue is somewhat nullified. I wonder though... for most recreational boats, people put the name and hailing port on the transom. If you fold that thing down, will the CG come and fine you for not having your boat properly marked?
Old 02-24-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

For weekend/vacation sailing from one marina to the next, I’m sure this sort of stuff is no big deal… But, for ocean sailing, or even moderate usage over what should be the theoretical lifespan of such a boat, no freakin’ way…
Generalizations like that does not make sense.

Modern materials are hugely stronger than old materials and permit other solutions than relying on a full stern for structural integrity. Many boats, even performance Ocean going boats, like the Pogo dispense back-stays at all. Even some mass production boats like the Hunters dispense them and I have no notice that they have problems with their masts.

Modern light and stronger materials and good engineering has no adverse effects on life span.

Look at the boats doing this race:

VELUX5OCEANS | the ultimate solo challenge

Some of those very light and apparently fragile boats are 20 years old, have made 3 racing circumnavigations many racing transats and a huge number of other ocean races, were droved to limits and experienced more hard conditions that any old cruising boat during all its life time, and here they are still going strong.

There are so many old Open racing boats that are still strong and seaworthy (but not competitive against more modern boats) that they just had created this race to take advantage of its long life span, providing an inexpensive introductory class to Open60's, the ECO60.

Regards

Paulo