Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011
Crow

crow551 is on a distinguished road
Open Transom trend

I have noticed a trend toward open transom boats in the new models. Am I the only one that thinks that this is a bad idea? Racers started using them because it is self bailing and reduces weight, but what are the advantages for a cruising boat? Does it just look cool? I have a number of concerns including:

Safety - Isn't someone going to get washed overboard?
Following seas - See my first concern.
Environmental - Every piece of junk in the cockpit is going to wind up in the ocean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow551 View Post
I have noticed a trend toward open transom boats in the new models. Am I the only one that thinks that this is a bad idea? Racers started using them because it is self bailing and reduces weight, but what are the advantages for a cruising boat? Does it just look cool? I have a number of concerns including:

Safety - Isn't someone going to get washed overboard?
Following seas - See my first concern.
Environmental - Every piece of junk in the cockpit is going to wind up in the ocean.
yeah, that's pretty much my take on them too. Accident waiting to happen if you have kids.
Old 02-04-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I love em. It's fast.
If someone is going to get washed overboard, it's b/c they aren't tethered in. No one gets washed off the BACK of the boat, almost always the side.

The TP52 has an open transom, the Antrim 27, minis, open classes, and many others designed specifically to go from California to Hawaii (typically a downwind ride) all have open transoms.

If you have kids they should be in a PFD as the law states, or down below. Or better yet, watched by a responsible parent. Call me crazy, but that shouldn't be a big issue for boat designers, the safety of unattended children in the cockpit.
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My friend has a Dehler 33 with an open transom that was designed as a cruiser/racer. It has a great feature that solves this issue. The boat has a custom designed removable locker that can be installed across the aft end of the cockpit, converting it from an open transom boat into what is basically a standard transom boat with a swim platform. I'm surprised more companies don't do this with their open transom designs.

I agree with the OP about his three points and think that for a CRUISING boat, it doesn't make much sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2011

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Open or Walk-thru transoms are great. I'm actually surprised more newer boats don't have them. Here's my take. As slip space becomes less and less available we will begin to see more of a Med. mooring type of setup. Having a walk-thru allows the crew access on an off a boat much easier because fingers won't be there. Also access to swim platforms really make the boat much more fun. On my boat the walk-thru has doors and life lines to prevent accidental MOB situations. As far as trash blowing overboard. It happens with or without a open transom.

2007 Hunter 49
Old 02-04-2011
Crow

crow551 is on a distinguished road
Brezzin, If you can close the transom then like in your case then I am less concerned. I would not consider that an open transom, but a door to your swim platform. As for trash going overboard, I don't like your response. It shouldn't happen.

I have no problem with this feature on race boats with everyone leashed in, but on a cruising boat I am not going to be harnessed to be the boat all the time.
Old 02-04-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
A netting should solve the problem of MOB.
Not sure I see the advantages. Saves weight? Then take off the sides and bow, and get a windsurfer? They do look cool though.
Old 02-04-2011

tweitz is on a distinguished road
I like the open transom. It does self bail instantly and there is no concern about dirt in the scuppers leaving you with a wallowing boat with a filled cockpit, or with a hose clamp coming loose and causing the cockpit to drain into the bilge. It makes it infinitely easier to safely board the boat from the dinghy and also to get someone aboard in an MOB situation. We sail with a small dog and small grandchildren. When they are aboard I tie a fender under the folding helmsman's seat, and there is no room for them to go overboard. Both the kids and dog always were a PFD, and in rough conditions all should be tethered. I suspect that those who are worried the open transom will cause the boat to be pooped have never experienced that phenomenon. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has.
Old 02-04-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow551 View Post
I have no problem with this feature on race boats with everyone leashed in, but on a cruising boat I am not going to be harnessed to be the boat all the time.
I suspect that, other than serious offshore shorthanded racing, you'll seldom see "everyone leashed in". Serious weather would, of course, be an exception but then everyone ought to be clipped in regardless of boat styles.

Open transoms are without question fast draining, this is an issue that was often a big deal with production boats; scuppers were rarely adequate to safely get rid of a serious amount of water.

Getting in and out of, and loading and unloading, dinghies is much easier with the stern platforms that are part of these designs. This is especially true now that boats' freeboards are becoming so extreme. I realize stern platforms are possible without open cockpits, but those ones are generally a bit small comparatively speaking.

And as mentioned, the stern-to mooring practices is another area where these work well....

I'd have no qualms having one of these boats.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-04-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I love em. It's fast.
If someone is going to get washed overboard, it's b/c they aren't tethered in. No one gets washed off the BACK of the boat, almost always the side.

The TP52 has an open transom, the Antrim 27, minis, open classes, and many others designed specifically to go from California to Hawaii (typically a downwind ride) all have open transoms.

If you have kids they should be in a PFD as the law states, or down below. Or better yet, watched by a responsible parent. Call me crazy, but that shouldn't be a big issue for boat designers, the safety of unattended children in the cockpit.
So where do you sail with such clement weather that you NEVER get water sluicing down the deck? And since when will a PFD act to keep someone in the boat? FWIW, if and when you have kids you'll see that removing barriers to keep them on deck is a bad idea regardless of how "responsible" you happen to be. I'd rather not rely SOLELY on a tether to keep me and mine aboard.

Last edited by cormeum; 02-04-2011 at 04:25 PM.