Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Beautiful boat ...Sad day !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Sad story. Who knows what could have happened, he could have had a heart attack, stroke, or anything else such as gotten dizzy (common with lack of sleep) and lost balance then fell overboard. That sure is a fine looking yacht and for the 29k, the pics and info I read, it sounded like a great deal. My sympathy goes to the family involved. I guess something like this can happen to anyone, its a chance we all take being out there. All we can do, is play it safe as possible and hope for the best. Then again, just about anything we do, there is a risk involved. I may sail around the world to only come back and get killed in a car accident driving home. This said, I am one lucky to be here after my solo coastal kayaking trip turned into a nightmare back in Oct of 2009. Through determination and strong survival skills I never even knew I had, I can thankfully live to tell my story. Some are not as fortunate as I have been to tell their stories. So this is where its hard to tell what really happened out there.
Oh, NOW you've gone and done it!

What's the story behind the nightmare coastal kayaking trip of 2009? Did you put this story on line somewhere else? Can we talk you into a brief summary?

(Apologies for attempted threadjacking)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 02-07-2011

boomvangdc is on a distinguished road
Story and photos here: Missing Aussie Sailor Off Virginia, Presumed Lost | Daily Sailing News from North American Sailor.

Definitely a cautionary tale. After sailing offshore legs and in Chicago waters (where hypothermia is a concern even in summer), I have always felt very safe sailing in the Chesapeake since it's so protected. But that's no excuse to not observe proper precautions, especially when sailing alone and at this time of year.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Daily Sailing News, Boat Reviews, Maintenance Tips and Inspiration

|
Old 02-07-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
There is a lot of gotcha's that can happen with a new boat. Like missing or non functional ground tackle, missing safety gear, etc... This may be a lesson for all of us. Hiring a crew the first few days until you are familiar with the boat might be good.
Old 02-07-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good idea, but finding good, qualified crew can be tough, especially if you're not from the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
There is a lot of gotcha's that can happen with a new boat. Like missing or non functional ground tackle, missing safety gear, etc... This may be a lesson for all of us. Hiring a crew the first few days until you are familiar with the boat might be good.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-07-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
One aspect of this story has makes no sense to me whatsoever, I find it very hard to believe... Of course, it could simply be an example of the mainstream media getting a particular detail wrong, which they typically do in cases like this... But, the accounts I've seen are reporting that the pier he was asked to vacate was the Buckroe Beach pier, pictured below...

How the hell would you tie a 40' sailboat to a pier like that? Or, why would you even make the attempt, when one could easily drop the hook in less than 15-20 feet of water anywhere in that vicinity?
Old 02-07-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
Good advice in general, but in this case you should not assume that he did not do that. One of the articles said he had spent four weeks refitting and testing out the boat. If true, he was well beyond the first few days.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-07-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If that's the pier I think it is, I can't see any way of tying a smalll sailboat off on it safely...those legs are CONCRETE... and not very boat friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
One aspect of this story has makes no sense to me whatsoever, I find it very hard to believe... Of course, it could simply be an example of the mainstream media getting a particular detail wrong, which they typically do in cases like this... But, the accounts I've seen are reporting that the pier he was asked to vacate was the Buckroe Beach pier, pictured below...

How the hell would you tie a 40' sailboat to a pier like that? Or, why would you even make the attempt, when one could easily drop the hook in less than 15-20 feet of water anywhere in that vicinity?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-07-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

There are lots of things that seem strange about this story. I agree that this is one of those details.

Other questions I have are little things like:

Why did he sail so hard for 24-36 hours if there were places along the way to stop and rest? What was his hurry? Where was he headed? Florida? Australia?

These news stories offer so little detail that it's maddening (or maybe I've just seen the right ones).

One thing, however, is for sure...crew sure makes a lot of sense.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-07-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
There are lots of things that seem strange about this story. I agree that this is one of those details.

Other questions I have are little things like:

Why did he sail so hard for 24-36 hours if there were places along the way to stop and rest? What was his hurry? Where was he headed? Florida? Australia?

These news stories offer so little detail that it's maddening (or maybe I've just seen the right ones).

One thing, however, is for sure...crew sure makes a lot of sense.
The 24-36 hour timeframe was conjecture on my part based on the earliest report I was aware of that reported he only bought the boat on Monday. It seems the fellow had actually completed the purchase a month earlier, so could have finished the windvane install at leisure and left anytime on Monday, which would have been a much easier trip to arrive at the point where the boat was found.

I wonder about the Buckroe Pier detail also. I had no idea what that looked like until the picture was posted. Hard to believe any experienced sailor would think that was a good place to get some rest, no matter how cold and tired he was.

Edited to add finding crew for this trip likely would have been an issue. It seems like an opportunity for prolonged misery to me. If the plan was to break the trip into legs that could be completed in a day and be docked every night with some heat, then there might have been some takers but sailing non stop or anchoring out with no heat? No Thank you!!

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 02-07-2011 at 05:47 PM.