Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
If I have known he was leaving last Monday or Tuesday, I would have helped him to sail down to Norfolk from Annapolis. Once in ICW, he could it take it easy. I remember last week it was cold and windy in Chesapeake Bay. It is sad. RIP Arno Dawson

One thing I don't understand is why the broker in Annapolis did not give him any advices knowing he was from AU. Like rule 62, there are so many unanswered questions.

You know what, when I go sailing solo. I will have a waterproof cam and voice recorder records at all time. It will record the last 24-hr activity on the boat. So if I turn up dead, you guys can find the answer instead of blaming me ..... ask why ..............

WHY:
1. didn't he have life vest on, tether on
2. did he pee on the side of the boat instead go to the head
3. didn't he bring enough battery or any GPS
4. didn't he learn how use CN, wait he was motoring in ICW, well he should learn it any way.
5. did he approach the inlet at night or in a rage
6. did he jump into the life raft?

I have one of these GO PRO. It is waterproof and HD wide angle.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2011
Lookin' for an excuse ...

TLombardi is on a distinguished road
Most brokers, if not all, know delivery skippers and crew that can be had for deliveries if the new owner was not familiar with the Internet sites that allow advertising for crew. He sure had the time to find crew. I have to believe he knew of this option but elected not to take advantage of it. That means he was over confident, which is the first sign of potential trouble. Itís a tragic decision, which may have contributed to the sailorís loss.

Changing the subject for a moment to the boat - an Irwin Citation? My familiarity with Irwins dates back 30 years. They never had a reputation as an open water, any weather sailboat. Am I the only one who wonders if he knew what he was getting himself into taking that boat to Australia? No, I have never owned an Irwin and never had the opportunity to deliver one on the open water. However, I sailed plenty of its contemporaries like Hunters and Catalinas, and I would never think of going more than fifty miles offshore in one of those boats.

Now donít flame me, because Iím just asking. Really, am I off base on the Irwinís suitability for a open water delivery to Australia?
Old 02-08-2011

johnferrell is on a distinguished road
Just for info. The pier in the posted picture is off of Ocean View beach not Buckroe. The pier at buckroe is much smaller and lower to the water. It is just north of fort Monroe.
Old 02-08-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnferrell View Post
Just for info. The pier in the posted picture is off of Ocean View beach not Buckroe. The pier at buckroe is much smaller and lower to the water. It is just north of fort Monroe.
Thanks, Iíve always figured it was some other pier closer to Hampton Roads that they were referring toÖ

However, the pic I originally posted is of the Buckroe Beach Fishing Pier, at least according to their Facebook pageÖ (grin)

Buckroe Beach Fishing Pier | Facebook
Old 02-09-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLombardi View Post
Most brokers, if not all, know delivery skippers and crew that can be had for deliveries if the new owner was not familiar with the Internet sites that allow advertising for crew. He sure had the time to find crew. I have to believe he knew of this option but elected not to take advantage of it. That means he was over confident, which is the first sign of potential trouble. Itís a tragic decision, which may have contributed to the sailorís loss.

Changing the subject for a moment to the boat - an Irwin Citation? My familiarity with Irwins dates back 30 years. They never had a reputation as an open water, any weather sailboat. Am I the only one who wonders if he knew what he was getting himself into taking that boat to Australia? No, I have never owned an Irwin and never had the opportunity to deliver one on the open water. However, I sailed plenty of its contemporaries like Hunters and Catalinas, and I would never think of going more than fifty miles offshore in one of those boats.

Now donít flame me, because Iím just asking. Really, am I off base on the Irwinís suitability for a open water delivery to Australia?
Hey, man fell off boat and drown. Don't know what kind of boat, maybe a Irwin. Let's beat up Catalina and Hunter.
Old 02-09-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Well, my .02 is pretty much a rehash of previous posts. Namely, he need not have pushed hard to get to Hampton. Obviously he did if the one witness commented that he was fatigued. There are so many places he could have ducked into for a break. And speaking from very personal experience of last November if the wind is honking out of the NW quadrant and you're out in a flood tide it is NASTY. Not only do you have the currents coming in and swirling off the CBBT islands but you get stacked/short period waves from the opposing wind.
Lastly, I'll agree w/ the comment about Irwins. I've never been terribly impressed w/ their build quality, at least not 15,20, 25 years ago. I wouldn't want to sail one to OZ. But at least it's mostly downhill so I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Forget bashing to windward in one though.

Sad story; I feel for his daughter.
Old 02-09-2011

aquaman9 is on a distinguished road
Here is another one that boats alone in cold weather.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...ina-ar-800618/
Old 02-09-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman9 View Post
Here is another one that boats alone in cold weather.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...ina-ar-800618/
Linky no worky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 02-09-2011

aquaman9 is on a distinguished road
Lets try again.

Body found near Hopewell marina | Richmond Times-Dispatch
Old 02-09-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLombardi View Post
Most brokers, if not all, know delivery skippers and crew that can be had for deliveries if the new owner was not familiar with the Internet sites that allow advertising for crew. He sure had the time to find crew. I have to believe he knew of this option but elected not to take advantage of it. That means he was over confident, which is the first sign of potential trouble. It’s a tragic decision, which may have contributed to the sailor’s loss.

Now don’t flame me, because I’m just asking. Really, am I off base on the Irwin’s suitability for a open water delivery to Australia?
I haven't seen anywhere that there was a specific destination mentioned. The dude was Aussie, but maybe he was retiring to the Carib? Who knows?

As for wimpy production boats, don't forget Childress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40