Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Sailor lost on the Chesapeake

Saw this over on SA but didn't see any mention of this here. Seems a sailor was lost late last week apparently moving a new boat south.

13NEWS / WVEC.com | Hampton Roads Videos, Breaking News | wvec.com| News for Hampton Roads, Virginia

Really sad, but a reminder that even the bay can be harshly unforgiving of any mistake, especially this time of year where your survival in the water is measured in minutes.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 02-06-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
yeah, said engine and lights were still on, had just bought the boat, boat was located just outside little creek inlet. seemed like a wierd situation
Old 02-06-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
The pics of the boat are still on YW. (Looks like it was a really nice boat for the money.)

It didn't have the windvane steering in the pics so the new owner must have installed it before leaving Annapolis or at least some point along the way. If he closed on the boat Monday, that would would mean a late start on Tuesday or maybe an early start Wednesday allowing time for the windvane install. So the boat is pretty much where you'd expect 24-36 hours after leaving Annapolis if he was sailing most of the time.

My bet is he stepped the leeward rail to answer natures call, slipped and that was that.
Old 02-06-2011

ClipperCity is on a distinguished road
I was out on the night of the 2nd. A really strong front passed through from about 1500hrs-1900hrs, peaking @ about 1800. 30+ winds, 3-4 chop on the Patapsco! I remember thinking "it has to be really crazy on the bay right now ", 6 ft. waves easily. Another captain told me that in his near decade @ our job that night ranked top.five. We kept radio contact amidst the blow. Wouldv ran for shelter had I been on my sailboat. Sad. Looking @ the main sail, he may have gone forward to flake canvas and lost his hold.

Last edited by ClipperCity; 02-06-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
This is sad. My condolences to his family.

He must be a seasoned sailer sailing solo, and may be on his way back to Australia. It reminds us that we must be careful and on guide at all time.

RIP

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-06-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I didn't see any jacklines setup on the boat in the photos or video. If he was singlehanding in near freezing temps without clipping in, he really has made a serious error. Whenever singlehanding, especially with cold air and water temps, clipping in is a requirement IMHO.

My sympathies go out to his family, but if he didn't take all the proper precautions, especially sailing a new-to-him boat, then he's really got no one to blame but himself.

First rule of singlehanding a boat is to STAY ON THE BOAT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
It was this boat:

Irwin Citation SAIL: Cruiser/Racer-1980-for sale Annapolis MD 100444571

1980 Irwin Citation Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Based on this thread, he was a 69 old male. He told the ranger he was really tired and needed sleep. More details in here:

Aussie lost overboard virginia beach

More here:

Quote:
Missing Boater Unlikely To Be Found
VIRGINIA BEACH
Virginia Marine Police planned to continue looking today for a boater who went missing this week, but officials said Friday that it's unlikely he'll be found alive.

Arno Dawson, 64, from Perth, Australia, was last seen Wednesday evening aboard his 40-foot sailboat, the Wampeter, said John Bull, a Virginia Marine Police spokesman. He moored to the observation pier at Buckroe Beach in Hampton and told authorities he was tired and would move in the morning, Bull said.

At 8:20 a.m. Thursday, a fishing crew spotted the Wampeter cruising unmanned about a quarter-mile north of Little Creek Inlet in the Chesapeake Bay. The Coast Guard and local emergency personnel launched a search for Dawson but called it off at 6 p.m.

Virginia Marine Police resumed the search Friday, focusing on the water and shoreline between the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, Bull said. They ended their efforts Friday evening with plans to resume looking today.

Virginia Marine Police don't suspect foul play. It appears Dawson was on the boat alone, said Lt. Jack Smith, a spokesman for the Coast Guard.

Dawson is an experienced sailor who manage s a boat-building company in Australia, Bull said. He found the Wampeter, which was ported in Annapolis, Md., online, purchased it for $26,000 in December and came to the United States in the last few weeks to work on it. He went to sea Monday, planning to sail the boat home, Bull said.

"To our knowledge, he was a very experienced sailor," he said. "That's quite a long sail."

Dawson's daughter in Australia has been notified that he is missing, Bull said.

The Wampeter, a 1980s sailboat, is impounded while the Marine Police investigate. If Dawson doesn't turn up, the boat will go to his family, Bull said.

HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 02-06-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Man that sucks. It's weird. I've come across that boat a lot on YW and thought it looked like a pretty good deal - then saw that it sold. It's creepy seeing it again in these circumstances.

Another cautionary tale regarding single handing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-06-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If he was fatigued, it is also pretty likely that he was hypothermic, since fatigue is often a symptom of hypothermia. It is hard to make good decisions and very easy to make mistakes when hypothermic or fatigued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
It was this boat:

Irwin Citation SAIL: Cruiser/Racer-1980-for sale Annapolis MD 100444571

1980 Irwin Citation Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Based on this thread, he was a 69 old male. He told the ranger he was really tired and needed sleep. More details in here:

Aussie lost overboard virginia beach

More here:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Sad story. Who knows what could have happened, he could have had a heart attack, stroke, or anything else such as gotten dizzy (common with lack of sleep) and lost balance then fell overboard. That sure is a fine looking yacht and for the 29k, the pics and info I read, it sounded like a great deal. My sympathy goes to the family involved. I guess something like this can happen to anyone, its a chance we all take being out there. All we can do, is play it safe as possible and hope for the best. Then again, just about anything we do, there is a risk involved. I may sail around the world to only come back and get killed in a car accident driving home. This said, I am one lucky to be here after my solo coastal kayaking trip turned into a nightmare back in Oct of 2009. Through determination and strong survival skills I never even knew I had, I can thankfully live to tell my story. Some are not as fortunate as I have been to tell their stories. So this is where its hard to tell what really happened out there.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.