self inflating life jackets under zip front foulies - dangerous? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How much pressure develops depends a lot on how tight the foulies are to start with and how much buoyancy the vest is supposed to provided. The 33 g CO2 cartridges may not be as much of an issue as the 38 g CO2 cartridges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
You might have something

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
here is my thought on this

the vests have a over pressure release so make sure they dont blow up when they inflate.as there is no way the vest to hold back 700 psi of co2 pressure. now yes i can see that it might make it hard to breath but i would think the vest would allow some shallow breathing. i have extra co2's for my vest but i wont risk ripping my rain jacket ( not a supper heavy one ) other wise i would test the theory.

if we get a donation going for the risk to my 40 dollar rain jacket i will give it a test. only send the payments if my jacket rips.

i will even video the test and post it.
I assume that the pressure limiter would be set so that it would not inflate the life jacket to the point that you could not breathe. I wonder just how true those stories are about people having to puncture a life-jacket with a knife so that some-one can breathe. I can believe that some-one might panic and use a knife to rapidly deflate one - but was that really necessary? I doubt it. But I might be wrong.

I think that if a life jacket were to inflate that hard it would be a rather dangerous feature.

Are there any life-jacket experts out there who could confirm this.

One of mine went off when I dropped it in the water - it inflated to a certain hardness and then you could hear the rest of the gas venting for a second or so. It did not end up rock hard - just a decent working pressure. Which is as it should be. After all the life jacket should work in the tropics and in the arctic circle and still end up with a 'reasonable' pressure.

It does seem to me that one or two of the initial strong responses to my initial posting might have been knee jerk suppositions made without the benefit of much in the way of knowledge.

But I am frequently wrong and if anyone wants to have a pop at me for being stupid then feel free to do so

Dylan

PS I still boil unpeirced tin cans.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 02-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Not safe to wear inflatable PFD under raingear. From the Float Tech site: “It is VERY IMPORTANT that you DO NOT WEAR UNAPPROVED APPAREL OVER THE TOP OF ANY TYPE INFLATABLE as the PFD can cause SEVERE INJURY if inflated while being restricted by tight clothing or equipment.”

Not safe to run with scissors. From YouTube:

I'd be worried about falling pianos.

Sailing alone? I don’t know, but it gives me a headache.

Driving to the boat? Only if you drive on the wrong side of the road.

Heating up food? Here’s some footage from the Lost Episodes of Keep Turning Left. You be the judge.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 02-06-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
How much pressure develops depends a lot on how tight the foulies are to start with and how much buoyancy the vest is supposed to provided. The 33 g CO2 cartridges may not be as much of an issue as the 38 g CO2 cartridges.
my vest uses 24 gram cartridges, its a manual not auto.

my rain jacket is similar to this one but in yellow.
World Wide Sportsman Rain Jackets for Men
Old 02-06-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Add me to the over foulies camp.

If my auto did not inflate I would have a heck of a time manually finding the "jerk" tab (well named, eh?)

If the auto and the manual failed, I would not be able to get to the mouth inflation tub.

Mine has a harness - I could not clip in.

I have the following attached to my pdf: pouch with flashlight and knife, a whistle, and a PLB. I could reach none of that.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-06-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
How much pressure develops depends a lot on how tight the foulies are to start with and how much buoyancy the vest is supposed to provided.
When the vest inflates it is suppose to inflate to a certain size to displace water ( buoyancy) If you have a snug jacket over the vest it may not displace the required amount of water to support you.
I think I'll keep my vest outside for now.
Old 02-06-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Good lord, how bloody long does it take to doff your vest, don a jacket and then don aforementioned vest?

When I was a kid, I used to spend summers at the local lake with my friends, sailing my Mirror dinghy and attempting to get some action with the beach babes. Everybody wore their swimsuits under their cutoffs, to save beach time that would have been lost byu chaging in the changerooms. One of the er, intellectually underladen members of our crew of ne'er-do-wells had the thought that he could save even more time by wearing his Speedo OVER his cutoffs.
He didn't think it all the way through. Dylan, neither are you.
Old 02-06-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
With tongue firmly in cheek - consider the danger if one is mightily struggling to restrain '''diarrhea"" ... when the PFD inflates INSIDE of your inelastic foulies.

I wear my inflatable PFD on the outside of my foulies.
Old 02-07-2011

svs3 is on a distinguished road
I agree with the others wear your PFD outside your foul weather gear.

Consider this:

While you could get away with doing what you are doing for a while (maybe for your entire sailing career) without consequence, many accidents result from a series of seemingly trivial mistakes and shortcuts that end up shaving away the margin of error/safety until one is left a very untenable situation or with only a range of bad choices. This just seems to me to be something that could really come back and bite you in the a$$ at a very bad time.

Everybody takes risks and has to make decisions in the light of incomplete and/or imperfect information but those risks and decisions have a much better chance of working out well when the decisions made and actions taken leading up to that point are the best that your circumstances will allow.

Just my $0.02, FWIW
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
- Robert Heinlein
Old 02-07-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
thanks welshman

great little video - man you have too much time on your hands

as for the float tech comment....

Not safe to wear inflatable PFD under raingear. From the Float Tech site: “It is VERY IMPORTANT that you DO NOT WEAR UNAPPROVED APPAREL OVER THE TOP OF ANY TYPE INFLATABLE as the PFD can cause SEVERE INJURY if inflated while being restricted by tight clothing or equipment.”

unnaproved apparel over the top....

so, my next step is to get the Screwfix top through the testing procedure and get it approved

Overnight I have been doing some invetigating and to get my £25 very loosely fitting jacket type approved is only going to cost around £4,000.. Good value I reckon.

As for how taking off the gear and putting it on - well - good grief - it does take quite a while in a small boat. There are quite a few occasions when just throwing the yellow thing over the top is quicker

and is it safer to not be out of the life-jacket at all - when its off and I am adjusting my clothing then I have no life-jacket on at all - which is dangerous

However, thanks to you all for your most most excellent advice

If you ever see me on any of films wearing my capacious yellow jacket over my life jacket please feel free to censure me.

Dylan