self inflating life jackets under zip front foulies - dangerous? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 View Post
great little video - man you have too much time on your hands
Thanks man! It really only took about 20 minutes or so. I wish I had spent more time on the 'voice'. I should have made it more - what was that word again? - oh, yeah: nasally. (see what I did there? The smiley makes everything I said prior to it ok and inoffensive.)

On a serious note though: I am really enjoying Keep Turning Left. We've got snow piles past my, well: piles around here. Seeing old Blighty in the summertime takes some of the chill off.

Thanks, and keep 'em coming.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
I assume that the pressure limiter would be set so that it would not inflate the life jacket to the point that you could not breathe. I wonder just how true those stories are about people having to puncture a life-jacket with a knife so that some-one can breathe. I can believe that some-one might panic and use a knife to rapidly deflate one - but was that really necessary? I doubt it. But I might be wrong.
Even if the overpressure valve prevented the vest from going above 14 psi.... think about it... say you have a torso that is 18" wide and the area covered by the PFD bladder is 14" high... that's like having a 3528 lb. weight sitting on your chest... do you think you could breath with that much weight on your chest if you were lying down.

Then consider that the only way to deflate the vest is via the manual inflation tube, which is trapped under you jacket. The jacket won't unzip because of the pressure from the PFD inflating has jammed it and so, what options do you really have to deflate the PFD? Especially, if you're in the water (since the vest has inflated this is likely the case) and you're having trouble breathing and moving, and there is no one nearby to help you--YOU'RE IN THE WATER, REMEMBER.

Yeah, stabbing yourself in the chest to deflate the PFD is really your only good option and if you're not panicking at that point, then you've got big brass ones to go with the thick skull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-07-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
All I am getting is an image of a middle aged pom in rubber and plastic mac contemplating having a tug.

Welshman, I too liked the video. Very clever.

Hey Dylan how goes it all ? Did you get the Google thing sorted ?

Cheers to you. Hope you do get to continue the voyage into 2011.

Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-10-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
thanks for asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
All I am getting is an image of a middle aged pom in rubber and plastic mac contemplating having a tug.

Welshman, I too liked the video. Very clever.

Hey Dylan how goes it all ? Did you get the Google thing sorted ?

Cheers to you. Hope you do get to continue the voyage into 2011.

Andrew
Google 1 - KTL 0

although I guess they have lost the revenue from the million hits a month on the youtube films....

I am also wrong on the life-jackets and am certain to die

I have also been porved wrong on the DVds of the films - I thought there would be no market for them

selling like hot cakes - so that has made up for the loss of the Google revenue

all going tickety boo and was sailing yesterday...

Wells next the sea is a great place for sailing - although the tide does rather go out

Dylan