Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC 320
Any thoughts on why netting is not generally seen or mentioned?
I think due mostly to aesthetics. People don't like the way it looks.

I rarely see it - and usually only on boats that look like they've just come in from across the ocean. For hacks like me, banging around the Bay, it just seems unnecessary. And 99.8% of the time, it probably is. Like a spare tire, a fire extinguisher, good medical insurance, or a reliable firearm, it's that fraction of a percent of the time that you actually really need it that's the kicker.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
A lacing (or very coarse netting, if you will) from lifeline to toerail is often found on the first one or two segments back from the bow on race boats, in order to help contain headsails during sail changes. I suppose they might also help keep the bowman on board, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 04-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the lifelines on most sailboats are too low and are pretty much just a reminder that you're getting close to the edge of the boat, rather than something that will keep you aboard. On many boats, the lifelines are positioned almost perfectly to trip you into the water rather than catch you if you're a taller sailor.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I think that most racers just interlace the lifelines up to the first (and sometimes second stanchion) rather than stringing netting. It is pretty invisable from even pretty moderate distances. (see Kwaltersmiís photo in message #11 and mine in #15). About the furthest Iíve ever been from a boat was doing bow work during a Duxbury Reef race. I was on my knees, teeíng up a reacher for a peel at the weather mark when the boat took a lurch and I went sliding. My legs, up to about my waist went over. The lower life line and toe rail ďcaughtĒ my bunched up jacket and PFD while I held on to the fore guy like grim death. The afterguard was not amused as me flopping around the forepeak like a fish was upsetting the weight trim on the boat. Such is the life of a (sometime) bow man.

My wife wants a new dodger this spring which is accelerating some re-rigging work I was planning to do. Iíll take pictures and start a new thread on Tuesday. But, to get you guys started, Iím planing on re-routing my boom vang and traveller lines and will need to calculate the potential loads on the lines, turning blocks and cleats. My mainsail is 240 square feet and I do sail in wind speeds in the mid forties on occasion.