Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinyDeep View Post
i live in the Gulf Coast area, and every place seems to be 500 or so miles across from me. ie, Cancun, Key West, Caymans, etc.
Follow the coastlines. You can stop each night, see the sights along the way. On the trip down to Key West you have the ICW in Florida which you can duck into and keep going if the weather gets bad.

Maybe on the trip to your tourist trap destination you'll find the perfect little spot away from everything and decide to just stay there instead.

The wind is free. Solar keeps you powered up. A typical boat will carry weeks of water and months of food. Longer if you fish and have a watermaker. Who cares about the destination?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2011
C445 #14 Owner

Tuennerman is on a distinguished road
First, I would highly recommend that you consider taking a number of courses from a certified sailing center, well in advance of your voyage.

Not taking into consideration Set and Drift, and assuming that your boat has the ability to average 7 knots, over 500 nautical miles, you’re looking at about 3 days. However, Set and Drift can impact this calculation substantially. Is you’re heading into a current traveling at 2 knots, then you can add another day on as your speed over ground will be closer to 5 knots.

Not knowing where you’re headed and what shipping lanes you’ll encounter, I wouldn’t recommend that you consider heaving to, to catch a little sleep. When underway, regardless of whether you’re making way, you are required to have a watch posted at all times. You should consider a crew of at least three; this will allow for a 4 on, 8 off, watch schedule. But again, it depends on the complexity of your boat and environmental conditions. If it’s blowing 40 knots and the temp is near freezing, no one is going to want to stand on deck for 4 hours.

Back to my original comment. Based on your questions, it is clear that this is your first voyage of this nature. If you want to make it back alive, I’d give careful consideration to bringing along some very experienced, blue-water sailors.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook