Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road
How much money is too much?
Old 02-08-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinyDeep View Post
Yeah I knew the kids would be a handfull even in a dingy, so extra adult supervision is required. Heck, they're a handful on LAND let alone the sea.
We are what some would call educated and experienced saliors. We take the five and seven year old grandsons out for two or three days max, and one at a time and often we spend much of that time on the mooring.

Swimming
Eating
Tangling (what he calls fishing)
Eating
Colouring
Eating
Riding around in the dingly
Did I mention eating?

You get the point?

Rik
Old 02-08-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What's a dingly???
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
We are what some would call educated and experienced saliors. We take the five and seven year old grandsons out for two or three days max, and one at a time and often we spend much of that time on the mooring.

Swimming
Eating
Tangling (what he calls fishing)
Eating
Colouring
Eating
Riding around in the dingly
Did I mention eating?

You get the point?

Rik

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Just because I am old, doesn't mean I can spell.

Rik
Old 02-08-2011
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Having sailed quite a bit with kids from 5 to 15, I second what HelloSailor says - the kids are the big concern.

Although I agree that in general the smaller the boat you can get by with the better, I have mine (34') set up to single hand quite easily. Singlehanded sailing is not a problem with most any boat in that range, as long as you take the time to run the lines and equip for one person with a good autopilot or autohelm.

Singlehanded sailing is NOT the same as being the only adult onboard with 3 small kids, however. IF you are singlehanding and need a reef, to adjust the headsail, or add a little backstay tension, you take your time, set things up, and go about it with careful attention and methodology. It you are sailing a boat by yourself and one kid slips off the cockpit seat, you reach to help that one and the boat accidentally gybes - where are the other two kids, and by the way, what was that crash in the cabin?

I guess my point is that singlehanding is not the same as being the captain and fist mate with 3 small passengers on board. With the former, it is you and the boat with all attention on what the boat needs. With the latter it is you and the kids, with hopefully some attention to the boat.

I wish you well and hope you and your kids can love sailing your new boat, but think hard before trying to singlehand a long trip with three small children. I agree with the suggestion to get someone to help you as crew until you are very comfortable with that particular boat and the cruising area.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 02-08-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Great post Pad. +1.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-09-2011

gboase is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gboase Send a message via MSN to gboase Send a message via Yahoo to gboase Send a message via Skype™ to gboase
Size does matter

When we started looking for a larger boat, it became a question of not how large, but what was the smallest boat that still had what we need.

A queen centerline berth and shower stall are rare on anything less than 44 feet and common on a 50. Having a place for me to work was also important. We had to move our plans from a 32 to a 44 foot.

Considering that you are single, I'm sure that having a bigger deck might be an attraction for the single ladies. But remember that it's not the size of the deck that makes them happy, it's how you use it and the motion of the ocean.

Resist the lustful urges to have bragging rights to the largest deck in the clubhouse. Remember that there will be times when you have to sail solo. Bigger is not always better.
Old 02-09-2011

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
how big

I agree with everyone's thoughts, but would like to put a slightly different spin on the question. Do not ask how big is too big for YOU, ask how big can the kids handle. Nothing is worse than a bored kid on a sailboat. By the sam token, a kid who is given the helm to steer the boat is fascinated. If you throw a plastic bottle overboard, and have the kid go back and pick it up, they are challenged, and into the sailing. I am NOT saying the kid has to be able to do everything on board, just that the boat is small enough to get the kid actively involved.
One of the reasons people are advocating smaller boats to learn on is the way they teach you when you make a mistake. If you make a mistake on a really small boat, the reaction is right now. This means that when you make a mistake, the lesson is immediate. On a big boat, when you make a mistake inertia carries the boat along for a while, and then things go haywire. You then have to think back, and figure out what you did several moments ago that caused the trouble. Animal trainers long ago figured out that in training correction for bad behavior must be immediate.
I would never own a boat on which I could not pick up anything on board by myself. If the anchor is too heavy to lift, your boat is too big. Etc ad nauseum.
And finally, different boats do better in different locations. Most around the buoys racing fleets end up in boats which are well suited for the locale. Therefore, look around your area and investigate boats popular in your area. Most racing fleets are always looking for crew. Take advantage of this, and find out which boats you like on someone elses dime.
Old 02-09-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One other point... at a lot of marinas the boat's tendency to sit at the dock is proportional to the waterline. The larger boats are often dock queens, where the smaller boats are often out for short daysails, evening sails, and weekend trips. A smaller boat REQUIRES LESS CREW, meaning you can take it out more often.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-09-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gboase View Post
When we started looking for a larger boat, it became a question of not how large, but what was the smallest boat that still had what we need.
EXACTLY!!!

Again, no offense to the OP, because this is very common amongst newbies, but it seems that at the beginning everyone wants the very biggest boat that they will be able to afford and manage. The MUCH better approach is to look for the very SMALLEST boat that can go where you want and provide the accommodations that you need.