SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What state for Dinghy or tender registration (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/71964-what-state-dinghy-tender-registration.html)

lostatsi 02-10-2011 12:06 PM

What state for Dinghy or tender registration

I am a resident of South Dakota yet my Boat and it's tender are kept in Ca. The boat is USCG documented, out of state sale. The tender has no #s or registration ( thrown in with purchase because owner said it wouldn't run, gas helps a lot but that's another post )and I am afraid to use it. I have searched the Ca. DMV sites and although it IS clear that any boat with a motor MUST be registered to use, it is not clear where I should do this. I was hoping for advise from someone who has had a similar experience. Believe it or not when I contact the Ca. DMV I find that after the hold time on the phone I learn nothing.

RichH 02-10-2011 12:13 PM

The 'usual' is to register any boat in the state of "principal usage".

BoatUS.com: Government Affairs

sailingdog 02-10-2011 12:25 PM

Since your boat is kept in CALIFORNIA, you would need to REGISTER THE TENDER IN CALIFORNIA.

newhaul 02-10-2011 02:24 PM

heres some info i found
Vessel Boat Registration and Information
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Non motorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Non motorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
so it appears you dont need to register it if you row it and dont use the motor. with any motor you have to register it in California
here in WA you dont need to register a tender as long as all it does is between shore facilities and your main vessel.

sailingdog 02-10-2011 02:33 PM

Believe the dinghy has a motor, otherwise the OP's comment about gas doesn't make any sense. :D

Quote:

The tender has no #s or registration ( thrown in with purchase because owner said it wouldn't run, gas helps a lot but that's another post )and I am afraid to use it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 696621)
heres some info i found

Non motorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
so it appears you dont need to register it if you row it and dont use the motor. with any motor you have to register it in California
here in WA you dont need to register a tender as long as all it does is between shore facilities and your main vessel.

newhaul 02-10-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 696622)
Believe the dinghy has a motor, otherwise the OP's comment about gas doesn't make any sense. :D

the op did say he was afraid to use it.

RichH 02-10-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 696621)
heres some info i found

The US LAW concerning dinghies being used as tenders for 'documented vessels' is virtually IGNORED by most 'revenue seeking' municipal (state/county/city/town,etc.) entities. Even that its US LAW you're not going to get very far without a displayed registration on a motorized dink .... hassles, intimidation from salivating marine police, etc., as your cost of legal recovery from improper/illegal fines etc. etc. is ultimately going to cost you more in time and $$$$$$ than a simple 'dink license'. Without a license on a dink with a motor in MOST places ---- you've identified yourself as a 'prey species', and no matter what the 'law' actually is.

newhaul 02-10-2011 03:06 PM

the requirement for not registering tenders used solely to and from main vessel is state for WA and covers all vessels documented or not however the USCG says tenders are not covered under documentation
USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page
Documentation of your vessel does not cover the vessel's tender or dinghy. These craft fall within the jurisdiction of the motorboat numbering laws of the state of principal use. Please contact your state agency that handles the registration or numbering of motorboats for further information

sailingdog 02-10-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 696625)
the op did say he was afraid to use it.

I think that's because of the tender not being registered, not because of the engine... I hope. :o

LinekinBayCD 02-10-2011 04:01 PM

Does Calif or SD have an annual excise tax on boats? Some state like Maine do and you need to pay not just a sales tax but the annual excise tax also. Since the dinghy was a throw in with the mothership, if CA doesn't have an annual excise tax I try to get it registered in CA without paying any sales tax when registering it given that in effect it's value was incorporated in to value of the mothership when registered.