Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011
Lost at Si!

lostatsi is on a distinguished road
What state for Dinghy or tender registration

I am a resident of South Dakota yet my Boat and it's tender are kept in Ca. The boat is USCG documented, out of state sale. The tender has no #s or registration ( thrown in with purchase because owner said it wouldn't run, gas helps a lot but that's another post )and I am afraid to use it. I have searched the Ca. DMV sites and although it IS clear that any boat with a motor MUST be registered to use, it is not clear where I should do this. I was hoping for advise from someone who has had a similar experience. Believe it or not when I contact the Ca. DMV I find that after the hold time on the phone I learn nothing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
The 'usual' is to register any boat in the state of "principal usage".

BoatUS.com: Government Affairs
Old 02-10-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Since your boat is kept in CALIFORNIA, you would need to REGISTER THE TENDER IN CALIFORNIA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-10-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
heres some info i found
Vessel Boat Registration and Information
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Non motorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Non motorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship’s lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
so it appears you dont need to register it if you row it and dont use the motor. with any motor you have to register it in California
here in WA you dont need to register a tender as long as all it does is between shore facilities and your main vessel.

Old 02-10-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Believe the dinghy has a motor, otherwise the OP's comment about gas doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
The tender has no #s or registration ( thrown in with purchase because owner said it wouldn't run, gas helps a lot but that's another post )and I am afraid to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
heres some info i found

Non motorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
so it appears you dont need to register it if you row it and dont use the motor. with any motor you have to register it in California
here in WA you dont need to register a tender as long as all it does is between shore facilities and your main vessel.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-10-2011
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Believe the dinghy has a motor, otherwise the OP's comment about gas doesn't make any sense.
the op did say he was afraid to use it.

Old 02-10-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
heres some info i found

The US LAW concerning dinghies being used as tenders for 'documented vessels' is virtually IGNORED by most 'revenue seeking' municipal (state/county/city/town,etc.) entities. Even that its US LAW you're not going to get very far without a displayed registration on a motorized dink .... hassles, intimidation from salivating marine police, etc., as your cost of legal recovery from improper/illegal fines etc. etc. is ultimately going to cost you more in time and $$$$$$ than a simple 'dink license'. Without a license on a dink with a motor in MOST places ---- you've identified yourself as a 'prey species', and no matter what the 'law' actually is.
Old 02-10-2011
islander bahama 24

the requirement for not registering tenders used solely to and from main vessel is state for WA and covers all vessels documented or not however the USCG says tenders are not covered under documentation
USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page
Documentation of your vessel does not cover the vessel's tender or dinghy. These craft fall within the jurisdiction of the motorboat numbering laws of the state of principal use. Please contact your state agency that handles the registration or numbering of motorboats for further information

Old 02-10-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
the op did say he was afraid to use it.
I think that's because of the tender not being registered, not because of the engine... I hope.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-10-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Does Calif or SD have an annual excise tax on boats? Some state like Maine do and you need to pay not just a sales tax but the annual excise tax also. Since the dinghy was a throw in with the mothership, if CA doesn't have an annual excise tax I try to get it registered in CA without paying any sales tax when registering it given that in effect it's value was incorporated in to value of the mothership when registered.