Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
lots of boats out there rate faster, much faster, but finding one that is 8' wide with a retractable keel/centerboard is the tricky part.

My Merit, the S2, the J24 all good boats but just outside the trailerable boat requirement.

Have you looked at the Merit 23, it rates 195 and comes with in a CB model.
Old 09-11-2013

rgesner is on a distinguished road
Re: Polars, PHRF, boat speed, boat shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettms View Post
Dave,
The later MacGregors, 26S, 26X and 26M are heavier and are more multipurpose powersailers.
Hope this helps.
WRONG on the 26S. It is almost exactly the same as the 26D, except it has a swing-up centerboard (hence the "S") while the 26D has a daggerboard. The S and D are sometimes collectively referred to as the 26C (C for Classic, to distinguish these older models which actually sail pretty well from the lumbering X and M models).

Two advantages of the S over the D are:
1. The centerboard and rudder kick up safely in the shallows and minimize or eliminate damage from unexpected shoals or obstacles.
2. You can swing the centerboard back a few degrees to adjust balance for weather helm.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2013

Daveinet is on a distinguished road

Since one has decided to wake an old thread, I'll respond and say, I am still shopping. Lately I've been looking for an RL 24. Seems to fit most requirements, and from everything I have read, it appears to sail well. Also was looking at a Holder 20, but I've not been able to confirm the interior height. Need to be able to use the porta-potty when out on the water.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Old 09-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

There are websites that have some polars for some boats but this isn't a stat that yacht sellers have any need for. Most people who go in to buy a new sailboat likely would not know what it is. Polars also vary rig to rig, sailor to sailor. It's probably best to just work up your own.
Old 09-12-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Up and down on the S2. At first glance it started to look pretty good. Like the cabin layout, even though I probably won't use it much. Its bigger than I need, but OK. Watched several videos of it sailing, even in light winds, it still seemed to move. Then discovered beam is 9 feet. Whoops, I don't want to have to get a permit every time I sail the thing. Well, a little more reading and seems everyone ignores the permit requirement for over width. Hmm, well something to think about. Is it only the early ones with an inboard diesel or just a rare option?
Just throwing another plug in here for the 7.9. We love ours (for the size of boat she is). We are in a similar situation as you (small inland lake). Ours has the inboard, which I'm very happy with (so far). I prefer to not have an outboard hanging off the back, and we haven't even burnt 5 gallons of diesel all season. Its fairly quick for a keel boat, and polars are available online (check hottamaleracing.com or s279.org. No worries trailering it at 9 feet wide..although it is pretty big and heavy and definitely a three person job (IMHO) to rig and de-rig.

edited to add: Here's one for sale close to you (I'm totally unaffiliated) http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/38612

Several also for sale on the class website (s279.org)

Last edited by Rhys05; 09-12-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2013

Only thing that is ruling the 7.9 out for me is price tag. When I started looking, my budget was a little bigger than it is now. I keep saving money, but there is a leak in my boat fund. At the moment its leaking out faster than I can pump it in. Realistically, I am in the $5K and under bracket.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Old 09-12-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Only thing that is ruling the 7.9 out for me is price tag. When I started looking, my budget was a little bigger than it is now. I keep saving money, but there is a leak in my boat fund. At the moment its leaking out faster than I can pump it in. Realistically, I am in the $5K and under bracket.
I feel ya there man. Maybe you should get an iceboat for this winter? Now THAT should fulfill ANYONE's need for speed! Not sure what else to recommend that is a keelboat with a cabin, fast, and around $5k.
Old 09-12-2013

I have often thought removing the pontoons on my Hobie 14 of putting some old snowmobile skies on instead just to see what it would do out on the lake.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Old 09-12-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Love the old thread dredge...
Capri 25... slightly better to sit up in down below than the 22... boatloads faster...
Also, if you only ever heard of PHRF, then you haven't looked real hard at numbers...
Try Portsmouth Yardstick...
Current Tables

They have numbers from every sail and yachtclub that has used portsmouth to handicap race.. usually they are the smaller trailerables, but they have numbers for a surprising amount of boats.

Our club uses Portsmouth yardstick... it's got its drawbacks but it works... anyway, it's another way to look up relative speed.
Old 09-12-2013

When I started this thread almost 3 years ago, I was not aware of Portsmouth Yardstick, however, now it is my go to place for numbers. Once in a while, you will find something that has a PHRF rating, but no Portsmouth, so you have to convert for comparison.

The Capri 25 is interesting, but I'm very curious how hit gets its numbers. With a SA/Disp ratio of only 15.84, that is very low compared to most boats I have been watching. It jut hard to believe it would run anywhere near boats in the SA/Disp ratio in the mid 20s. Or is all of its speed down wind? Does it plane? Will it plane on a beam reach?
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat