Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
If you use Windows, you can use g7towin to transfer, which is free. Do your plotting on SeaClear or OpenCPN, which use free NOAA charts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can use MapSource, which you can probably download from Garmin.

Or you can use several of the free navigation programs like SeaClear II or OpenCPN, as RD suggests. There are a bunch of different applications that can then transfer the waypoints to the unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-14-2011

Although the Mapsource updater can be gotten for free off the Garmin website (use Google to search for instructions on how to get the update software to install a fresh copy), you almost always have to pay to buy Garmin's charts to use with it. Unless GPSmap 78sc is different from all the other handhelds, its embedded charts will not display on Mapsource. You do NOT want to use MapSource's "base maps" to plot routes! The "base maps" can be off by a mile or more. (I imported a track from my GPS into Mapsource and it said I had been sailing down I-95.)

If you do get Mapsource running, it is very useful for transferring tracks and routes into and out of the GPS - just not useful for plotting unless you buy the charts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 02-14-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Regarding the Mapsource program, everytime I wanted to put the program on a new computer. I needed to install an original version from a Blue Chart chart disk. Even though it was an outdated version I was then able to download and install the latest Mapsource version from the Garmin over the old Mapsource software. If you look at the instructions for Garmin's Mapsource download it does indicate that you need a previously installed version. I guard my old original Mapsotrce disk like gold.

As a work around to this problem I'd look for an old out of date Blue Chart disk from an online vendor for your sailing area for as cheap as I could find. It will have an installable version of Mapsource that you then will be able to update for free. It's a little of a hassel initially but Mapsource does facilitate saving your waypoint and route database and moving it to new Garmin units. I have been building a liabrary of waypoints and routes that have been used in a half dozen or so Garmin units for what is pushing 20 years now. Just checked and I have 630 waypoints and 44 routes saved in Mapsource (Most are for the coast of Maine. About 50 are for the Chesapeke). It is a piece of cake to download them to a new unit. I also have like to have the same waypoints and routes for consistency on my backup units to the fixed mount chartplotter.

It is tedious to enter waypoints manually to a unit but you won't get any sympathy from me. About half of my library of waypoints were entered directly into units by way of taking the lat and lon off of paper charts using dividers and a calculator to interpolate the fractional degrees. One advantage of taking them off of paper charts is that if you plot your routes on the paper charts you can compare the headings and distances on a GPS route with what is plotted on the paper chart.

Another shortcut would be to pull the lat and lon from MapTech chart books for a lot of waypoints. MapTech has been giving the lat and lon for a lot of makers for quite a few years now.

Last edited by LinekinBayCD; 02-14-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
...As a work around to this problem I'd look for an old out of date Blue Chart disk from an online vendor for your sailing area for as cheap as I could find....
As I said, he should Google alternate methods. No need to buy anything:

Download Garmin MapSource for Free and Install Without Media » My Digital Life

How to Install and Display Free Maps on MapSource Without CD or DVD » My Digital Life

Old 02-14-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Just trying to give the guy another alternative. Sometimes the backdoor methods are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Just trying to give the guy another alternative. Sometimes the backdoor methods are more trouble than they are worth.
No problem. Your method involves some cost, but has the benefit of using Mapsource for plotting routes using the purchased charts. My method involves no cost, but requires using a different program for plotting because the "base map" that comes with the Garmin Trainer package cannot be trusted for plotting.

Old 04-08-2011

WKBrock is on a distinguished road
GPSMap 78sc

n7cjv posted: Been playing around with my new one and trying to read the manaual. How does one establish (and name) a waypoint without physically being there. And call it back up. Garmin's manuals really suck and my trial and error methods drove me to the wind jug.. Tnx

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Recently bought the 78sc and I agree with your assessment of the manual. It's missing a lot of detail. I really like the unit though. I found setting up the waypoints on the map is pretty easy.
1. Slew to the point you want to mark.
2. Hit Enter
3. If the map detail has a name for the point, it will display.
4. Otherwise it will just display the lat-long.
5. Hit Menu and you'll have the option to "Save as Waypoint".
Done.

I'm really enthused about the many map overlays that the unit can handle. Check out the site, GPSFileDepot - A lot of free maps available. There's also much info on creating custom map overlays and geo-referencing with Google Earth. The MapSource interface works well and the GPSU software works well for organizing waypoints.