SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   what's on a boat card? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/72036-whats-boat-card.html)

hurricanehole 02-13-2011 02:52 PM

what's on a boat card?

My son and I are sailing to Abaco this summer and we want a boat or boat business card. I'm not sure what to call it. He's a teacher and the cruise is tied into education (Bahamas Ecological Studies). I've heard that these cards are useful to give to new friends or the authorities. My question is what info goes on the card? I know boat name, a web address, home port and name of crew make sense. Should there be some sort of home address? What about phone numbers? Is there anything else I'm missing?
Thanks
Rob

sailingdog 02-13-2011 03:14 PM

The boat name, web address, home port, name of crew, often a photo or picture of the boat, possibly the call sign or MMSI, e-mail address are all good to have on a boat card. Other things to include are the type of boat you have.

hurricanehole 02-13-2011 04:47 PM

Thanks, boat type of course.
Call sign? Is that a shortened version of the boat name?
I didn't think most small boats had a call sign. The boat we're
taking is a Compac 23 so we can trailer down to
FL and save some time. Should we have a call sign? Just looked up MMSI and will register
with Boat US. Thanks for bringing that up.
Rob

sailingdog 02-13-2011 05:38 PM

If you've gotten a Ship's Station License, from the FCC, you will be assigned a callsign. You will need a Ship's Station License if you plan on communicating with foreign stations via radio—either marine or terrestrial.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurricanehole (Post 697715)
Thanks, boat type of course.
Call sign? Is that a shortened version of the boat name?
I didn't think most small boats had a call sign. The boat we're
taking is a Compac 23 so we can trailer down to
FL and save some time. Should we have a call sign? Just looked up MMSI and will register
with Boat US. Thanks for bringing that up.
Rob

hurricanehole 02-13-2011 08:02 PM

After some searches about this I see I need a couple of FCC licenses.
Thanks Sailingdog.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 02-13-2011 08:06 PM

When we trade cards with another boater, we always write on the back where we met them, and then store it alphabetically in a business card folder. The next time we see the boat - sometimes years later - it will look familiar to us - we look up the names of the folks and call them on the VHF. Then we get together for sundowners or dinner, and the conversation seems to pick up where it left off last time we saw them.

We have hundreds of cards in our collection.

catamount 02-13-2011 09:25 PM

Get your MMSI from the FCC when you get your Ship's Station license, rather than from Boat/US.

mccary 02-13-2011 09:32 PM

I am a professional photographer and have several friends who are also photographers. Everyone had business cards with name, address, phone number and cell number, email address, etc. One friend had is home ripped off by someone who he passed a card to. They called his cell and learned he was away from home and did the deed.

So, since then I am very leery of giving too much info. I put my name and cell number and email address and in this case the boat name. Don't provide too much info, you have no idea where those cards can end up.

Just my opinion, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

ShockValue 02-13-2011 10:20 PM

How does your friend know who ripped him off? Did they catch them or get some other clues?

sailingdog 02-14-2011 06:00 AM

This is why I don't suggest putting a home address on a boat card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccary (Post 697795)
I am a professional photographer and have several friends who are also photographers. Everyone had business cards with name, address, phone number and cell number, email address, etc. One friend had is home ripped off by someone who he passed a card to. They called his cell and learned he was away from home and did the deed.

So, since then I am very leery of giving too much info. I put my name and cell number and email address and in this case the boat name. Don't provide too much info, you have no idea where those cards can end up.

Just my opinion, but it's better to be safe than sorry.