SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Ship Rename (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/72091-ship-rename.html)

DubeJ 02-15-2011 11:28 PM

Ship Rename

A buddy of mine bought a 30ft Cat after our year long Afghanistan deployment. We have been working on her for a while and are at the point of getting close to dropping her in the water. The X-owner has taken the name of the ship to his new ship, as it is the name of his deceased wife. That said he has asked my buddy to change the name. That all said, what is the "rule of thumb/sail" on this tradition? I always thought that it was bad luck, but if this gentlemen is asking for that reason, how's that go??? Any advice is appreciated.

CGMojo 02-15-2011 11:38 PM

You are pushing your luck when you change a boat's name, but in this case I think it's worth the risk. If I remember correctly, you have to go through a lot of champagne and sacrifice a virgin, but I can't remember which comes first.

There are several good resources on the web. This one looked OK to me:
Boat Name Changing Rules | eHow.com.

Best of luck and don't cut any corners. "And bless all who sail in her!"

chrisncate 02-16-2011 12:14 AM

In lieu of a virgin sacrifice, you (in addition to many other parts of the ritual) can have a virgin pee in the bilge.

Gross, but required.

DelmarRey 02-16-2011 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisncate (Post 698587)
In lieu of a virgin sacrifice, you (in addition to many other parts of the ritual) can have a virgin pee in the bilge.

Gross, but required.

I thought woman were bad luck on boats? ;) ;) ;)

BubbleheadMd 02-16-2011 05:43 AM

The sea is wonderful therapy for tired soldiers. Welcome.

QuickMick 02-16-2011 12:14 PM

just curious, what are you going to name her?

Boasun 02-16-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisncate (Post 698587)

Gross, but required.

Not pee, but give up her virginity during the launching of your vessel. But good luck in finding one of legal age that is willing to do this for you.:laugher

tomperanteau 02-16-2011 03:25 PM

If she has to give up her virginity, I vote that you follow in the order of:

Ply her with Champagne
Take her virginity
Make her pee
And then sacrifice her

Much easier that way.

sailingdog 02-16-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelmarRey (Post 698597)
I thought woman were bad luck on boats? ;) ;) ;)

IIRC, in maritime lore, women are bad luck unless they are topless. :D

dnf777 02-16-2011 05:17 PM

Search this forum. There are some recent threads about this, complete with the proper incantations and rum procedures. I would not take any chances with offending the gods of the sea, wind, and heavens. But if done properly, and for this reason, I'm sure they would smile upon your buddy and his boat.