Help regarding steam or smoke coming from an exhaust component, time sensitive.. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post

p.s. remember to re-winterize it after you're back! the way you said that you did it is fine.
I'm ready, the yard where we are to haul was oddly strict about this (not that they needed be, as I agree 100%, but still..)..

Wish me luck everyone, if I need a tow it will be my first..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Theres lots of possibilities listed here but I would have one major concern.
If the fitting fails then there is every chanch you could get water building up in the exhaust and entering the engin which would be a disaster.
I can see you are a competent sailor and are bringing the sails with you but setting out for a 5 hour run without resolving the problem looks dodgy.
Deadlines are often the weak link.
Safe sailing

Last edited by centaursailor; 02-17-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
This is the result of not winterizing a boat. It belongs to the marina owner who knows better but foolishly wanted to wait a week to winterize his boat. The strainers froze, then defrosted on a warm day and the bilge pump couldn't keep up. It's a 34' Silverton. I'm in the dive gear on the far right trying to get airbags on the stern, water was 38F...
Attached Thumbnails
Help regarding steam or smoke coming from an exhaust component, time sensitive..-dscn0080.jpg  

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 02-17-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Hey, liked the post but why the need for validation?
Pushed the button anyway.
Safe sailing
Old 02-17-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
I am familiar with the inside of that water/exhaust mixer.
I agree with Scotty's assessment, however I would make absolutely certain that there is no water getting into the crank case via the exhaust valve.
Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
i would check for a hole or crack in the pipe. that upside down u is the spot where cooling water get injected into the exhaust pipe. it is also the notorious spot for corrosion on yanmars. the reason for the water coming out being cold is simple, our water is so cold right now it does not take much to keep the engine cold, most of the water is bypassing the thermostat, thats a good sign.

on a raw water cooled engine its called the mixing elbow, it might be on the fresh water cooling too.

in all honesty run it as it is, but keep the cover off the motor to keep an eye on it, and stay out of the cabin. it might get worse real fast, or make it all the way. either way you are probably getting some carbon monoxide out of the elbow. but be prepared to pay for new parts either way.
Old 02-17-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Exhaust Leak

As has been explained here, you have a leak on the exhaust mixing elbow, it seems. If you have identified the source correctly, this is not a big issue for short term operation of your engine. Your engine will run fine and reliably. However, this is a big issue for the long term health of the engine and your boat.

That leak, even if you can't see it, is exhausting a small amount of seawater and exhaust soot into your engine room. I had a similar problem that went undetected for an undetermined (but relatively long) time. By the time I found it, the resulting corrosion had damaged the aft stbd motor mount stud.

My mixing elbow corroded from the inside out until the elbow wall was so thin a pinhole leak developed.

If your leak is on an accessible area on the side of the elbow, JB Weld is a good temporary fix. If it is on the threads, I doubt the leak can be stopped using JB Weld. Also, you will make the repair a lot more difficult and more expensive because you won't be able to take the exhaust system apart at the elbow joints. Given the age of your engine (some 2GMF parts are hard to find), you might want to carefully consider what other components might be affected before you JB Weld those joints.
Old 02-17-2011

Underway, all seems ok after hour 1... I used a rubbery thermal tape over the threads, no issues or smoke/steam. Just exited the magothy ..
Old 02-17-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
good luck, fair winds
Old 02-17-2011

thanks!
Old 02-17-2011

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
what antifreeze did you use??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post

Here is how I winterized her, you tell me if you see a problem - I removed the raw water intake hose at the seacock, stuck it into an antifreeze jug, ran the engine and watched the exhaust thru hull until it ran green with antifreeze.
Did you say it ran GREEN with antifreeze?? Isn't the non-toxic antifreeze (propylene glycol) pink?

Don't tell us you ran ethylene glycol antifreeze right into the Bay! You would have killed a lot of fish and other life!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.