Help regarding steam or smoke coming from an exhaust component, time sensitive.. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaursailor View Post
Hey, liked the post but why the need for validation?
Pushed the button anyway.
Safe sailing
It was an afterthought w/ the "marina policy/rules" he posted and this guy is the same way.

Newbies reading this thread might not know what can happen and how fast.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Chris- hope the trip goes well. I would agree you have an exhaust elbow failing. Keep an eye on it, but it should be fine for this trip.
On another issue from your OP. You were in rough conditions and then the engine wouldn't go above 2500 rpm's. That's a textbook case for a partially clogged fuel filter. The gunk in the tank gets churned around in the rough conditions and then clogs the filter. Change filter(s) and you should have full rpm back.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-17-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
some good answers to the problem by posters . i am a retired diesel mechanic. i would have just tightened the threads & wrapped it like they did and gone. i never run green antifreeze through the sea water side of my yanmar 2GMF 20 . that is what i use in the closed cooling system. if you are going to run antifreeze through the sea water side it should be pink RV antifreeze that is not a poison.
Old 02-17-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Ditto on the pink vs. green antifreeze. The pink stuff is non-toxic and can even be used for winterizing your potable water systems. Just in case you used the green antifreeze for the potable system - I would flush it out about 20 times and bleach it and scrub all the nooks and crannies before drinking water out of them.

With regards to the white smoke, this is not usually unburnt diesel but post-combustion water vapor. Diesel burns black, oil burns blue. Water burns white. White smoke from the exhaust during warmup is normal. If it continues it could mean water contamination of your fuel or water entering your cylinders somehow. If it was a head gasket issue the exhaust should be blue in color - not white. (others - please correct me if I'm wrong).

With regards to your engine RPM's and raw diesel - at higher RPM's a diesel engine can easily not burn all of the fuel injected into the cylinders. Once again, this is not out of the norm. Our boat regularly ejects small amounts of unburnt diesel at start (cold engine) or during/after docking procedures where we have several high RPM run-ups to add steerageway or slow the boat down. If it's constantly ejecting unburnt diesel that is a whole different problem.

I also noticed that you have single clamps on your mixing elbow for both the raw water intake and the gas/exhaust intake. With the vibrations they go through I would highly recommend double clamping them.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-17-2011
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Coming up on the key bridge ..

And everybody can relax, while I did use green Antifreeze , none was spilled or discharged as we capture it with a large 5 gallon bucket. We put nothing in the water.
Old 02-17-2011

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Coming up on the key bridge ..

And everybody can relax, while I did use green Antifreeze , none was spilled or discharged as we capture it with a large 5 gallon bucket. We put nothing in the water.
Phew!

Still, I don't think there is any reason to use the green antifreeze (ethylene glycol) for winterizing. To begin with, the pink stuff is a lot cheaper. And you don't have to worry about spills.
Old 02-17-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is a poison, just nowhere near as toxic as the green stuff. Still not great for sealife... just not as poisonous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
if you are going to run antifreeze through the sea water side it should be pink RV antifreeze that is not a poison.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2011
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
I don't bother with the proplyn glycol because I wont dump that in the waters either. Our rule is zero dis discharge or litter.

Heck, I'm the guy who started a thread once asking about how to save all trash when offshore passage making because I don't even want to dump offshore ..
Old 02-17-2011
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
On another issue from your OP. You were in rough conditions and then the engine wouldn't go above 2500 rpm's. That's a textbook case for a partially clogged fuel filter. The gunk in the tank gets churned around in the rough conditions and then clogs the filter. Change filter(s) and you should have full rpm back.
I absolutely agree and would add that any exhaust gases escaping the exhaust elbow that can be sucked back into the air intake can also decrease engine rpm's. Had personal experience with a Honda outboard that wouldn't run unless the engine cover was off. Took a while to figure that one out.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 02-17-2011

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It is a poison, just nowhere near as toxic as the green stuff. Still not great for sealife... just not as poisonous.
You are right, the pink stuff is somewhat toxic, too. But what is the alternative? For the drinking water supply, cheap vodka has been suggested many times.

Dunno, would that work in a motor?

(of course, ethanol is a poison too...)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.