Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I own a C27. My particular boat is definitely NOT one I'd take out into the open ocean without doing a lot of work to her. But she's fine for lake/bay/close-in cruising around.

I have little doubt the C27 (well prepped) could take you anywhere if you were careful with the weather. As has been pointed out above - they've done it just fine. And I also personally think it's fine for 2-3 people in a passage situation. It's cozy - but has enough room.

So, as always, it's not really the boat you have to worry about as much as it is you and your crew. Can you do it?

I couldn't at this point. No way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Having owned a C-27 and having my a$$ handed to me in the middle of Chesapeake Bay during moderate storms, I would unequivocally say NO! The boat is not an ocean going vessel by any stretch of the imagination. The boat, and crew might make it across the pond, but only if conditions are ideal. Ideal conditions NEVER exist in the real world.

Gary
Old 02-18-2011

thatirishguy is on a distinguished road
sorry guys i did not read SD's signature but i just did so i will try not to make a a** of myself so ok i have a C27 but i could sell it and buy something else! are the boats in John Vigor's 20 Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere a credible source? i'm looking for something around the 10,000 range if i do sell it. i say 10,000 because i'm thinking i will need about another 10,000 to outfit it to take on the task! also if need be i might be able to pull another 5,000 to fix it up or buy something in better shape!
Old 02-18-2011

thatirishguy is on a distinguished road
also i have about 4 years sailing exp. i have faith in me being able to do it but the crew have about a day before we go they will have about 9 months. so it would have to be something i could handle on my own
Old 02-18-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Where's that popcorn smiley when you really really need it?

Mike
Old 02-18-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the Catalina 27 is one of the 20 boats in John's book

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatirishguy View Post
sorry guys i did not read SD's signature but i just did so i will try not to make a a** of myself so ok i have a C27 but i could sell it and buy something else! are the boats in John Vigor's 20 Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere a credible source? i'm looking for something around the 10,000 range if i do sell it. i say 10,000 because i'm thinking i will need about another 10,000 to outfit it to take on the task! also if need be i might be able to pull another 5,000 to fix it up or buy something in better shape!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-18-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
You could do this in the worst boat possible and make it. Also, you could sail the best possible boat and fail.
There is always the element of luck.
I would want the best possible elements in my favor. A cat 27 is not a favorable boat.
Old 02-18-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Yes, luck is a factor but I believe that you really create your own luck to a great extent.

I think a Catalina 27 has to be modified extensively to consider the trip.

Bulkheads are not glassed in - constant wracking in seas will loosen their fastenings.
As posted above all deck fittings need solid backing plates.
The main hatch amd companionway are way too large. a proper companionway has parallel sides and there is a proper bridgedeck. The sliding hatch is not large. See below. The second pic is what you want for offshore use.

Can the design of the hull and rig do this - yes, in the right hands.
Attached Thumbnails
transatlantic in a catalina 27?-2281269_5.jpg   transatlantic in a catalina 27?-linda-2.2.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
But I think 2-3 people crammed into a 27ft boat for 30 days sounds less than wonderful.
Well said. We sailed C27's in our sailing co-op, from 1996 to 2009 when we bought our own boat. If you have the wrong 2-3 people, a weekend can seem like an eternity. Using SD's estimate of 30 days? You may not be friends by the end of the voyage!

I'd like to thank SD and some of the others for identifying who did the C27 circumnavigation. However, at the end of the day, just because crossing the Atlantic in a C27 is possible doesn't mean that it is a good idea.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 02-19-2011

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
if you search the web, you will find the list of modifications around the world Catalina 27 had. The owner basically rebuilt the boat from inside out, including reinforcements, backing plates, new companionway, etc.

I sailed Catalina 27 in ocean for a few days, and it is most definitely not ocean going vessel.