My Boat Won't Back (in a straight or controlled line) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Once you get the boat going with sufficient speed to maintain steerageway; you can eliminate prop walk by putting the transmission in neutral.
Or hitting something solid.
Never knew they went in backways!
Safe reversing
Old 02-18-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Hey it must be nice that you all can back into a slip, but for what? So you can get out quicker going forward? I like watching boat traffic coming by from my cockpit(stern) much better than watching the people gawking into my cabin from land/the dock. That said I wish that I can stop my boat from going forward. No matter how much throttle I give in reverse it takes some time to stop my 12Klbs 32' boat with the 30HP A4. Maybe I should go to a 3 bladed prop?

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I usually get the boat going pretty good in reverse before it decides where it wants to go :-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-18-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I haven't tried this with my Morgan 33 OI yet, but when the winds are up and pose a problem docking, I back down faster. I've only done this with my Catalina 27, which responds very well to the tiller in reverse. Some of my sailing counterparts have come over from the next pier and asked if I could provide them with lessons on backing into their slips. They say they've never seen someone back up so fast and accurately and never hit a piling or the pier. I try to explain that the only reason I have good control is because of the higher speed. I usually end up mixing them a Margaretta and the parties kick off at the end of my dock.

Just another fun day in Paradise!

Gary
Old 02-18-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
Hey it must be nice that you all can back into a slip, but for what?
We generally dock the boat stern first at the end of a charter or lessons. This permits easier loading and unloading. And it does make leaving the dock easier for the next charterer,

We also want our students to be able to do a Med moor, which is usually stern-to. In addition, when we stern-tie to shore we are generally trying to get to a specific spot.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaursailor View Post
Or hitting something solid.
Never knew they went in backways!
Safe reversing
Huh?
Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Also, you really have to make sure that the boat is making way in reverse before turning the wheel or tiller. If you're not actually moving backwards, the boat is not going to go where you want it to.
Exactly, when a boat is moving forward, the prop is throwing water over the rudder. In reverse, you need water moving over the rudder to get steerageway. As mentioned in another post, keep the rudder amidships until you have steerage, otherwise you have a big brake.
Old 02-18-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
My Cat 36 wants to back to port as, I think, most boats do. I used to have a really odd slip which required that I back out to starboard and do a 180 so as to proceed down the fairway. I quickly learned that trick about getting it moving in reverse, then putting it in neutral. Went to starboard like a breeze. The day I really learned how to handle my boat was when we were coming down our rather narrow fairway to the slip (different slip) and just as I was making the turn into the slip, I notice there's a 20" boat parked in my slip. Apparently he had come to visit my neighbor. I used short bursts of power in reverse, then forward, then reverse, etc with the rudder hard to starboard and spun by boat around in it's own length and proceeded out of the fairway while yelling at the offending captain to get his f'ing boat out of my slip. I actually impressed myself, and my boat buddies thought I was a GOD.

Mike
Old 02-18-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I used to back into my slip with my Hunter 27 all the time. However instead of fighting the prop walk I practiced using it to go where I wanted. So I would approach my slip running along all the slips dead slow, then turn hard away from my slip and throwing it into reverse. The prop walk would complete the turn for me and I would be picking up speed in reverse. Then I'd drop it out of gear and back right in,steering with the rudder. With my new to me boat, an Etap 26, I went out in the bay and practiced driving it in reverse for about half an hour before attempting to enter my slip in reverse. It almost looked like I knew what I was doing when I finally docked.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
Apparently he had come to visit my neighbor. I used short bursts of power in reverse, then forward, then reverse, etc with the rudder hard to starboard and spun by boat around in it's own length and proceeded out of the fairway while yelling at the offending captain to get his f'ing boat out of my slip. I actually impressed myself, and my boat buddies thought I was a GOD.

Mike
This is a maneuver we teach all of our students. Works for right hand drives - most direct drives. Many saildrives are left hand screws, so the maneuver is done to port. You should not need to use much throttle.

It is hard to drive the bow through wind, so it requires fairly calm conditions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.