Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Delaware River-Bay and NJ Shore get together

Two days with temperatures approaching 70 F in February gets me thinking of summer.

Any interest in a sailnet get together in Cape May this June?

I will be sailing from Philadelphia to Cape May for the summer in June.
Old 02-18-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Count me in.
Old 02-18-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Cape May is a great place for a rondevous...go to Utschs( not a favorite of SD as he had a bad experience there). We have stayed there over 20 times. They are a nice family operation...cheap rates...in a great walkable location. It is our stop over after the long motor down the Delaware River and our jumping off spot for our trip to LI and NE every summer.

BTW I have actually only sailed to Cape May once in the over 20 round trips I have made. The current is heavy duty for many ours and you want to make as much ground in a straight line when you have it as the trip from the C&D canal is about 50 miles unless you have a mast over 52 feet and have to go around the Cape then it is 12 miles longer. We have sailed in the Delaware Bay many times, but its is nolt a place to be with opposing tide and wind as the waves are steep square and frequent, It can be one of the nastiest places to be in any kind of blow.

Best you can hope for is a motor sail I think so make sure your motor is fit.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2011

This is a 3 day trip for me. Riding the tide Essington to Delaware City, then the Cohansey, then Cape May or this time Bidwell Creek then Cape may.

If I get the tide just right I may make the Cohansey in the first day.
Old 02-18-2011

Cohanassey can be a brutal place to anchor. Lots of powerboats and headboats at all hours cruising through. Very deep near the mouth with a swift current and then of course the mosquitos and the NJ state bird....the Greenhead fly. I have used the Cohanassey as my bailout place a couple of times when the weather wasnt worth continuing on.

Cape May is very makeable when timing the tide from the C&D canal in 8-10 hours. I would suggest you try that. Also on your way back you will have more hours of the flood tide than you have with the ebb tide coming down the river.

We anchor behind Reedy Island when we come through the canal. It is about 5 miles south of the canal on the Delaware side. It is out of the tanker wash and any south/ east chop created by the wind. About 2 hours before the slack tide to ebb tide change we leave there and head south (the tide haslLmodst changed at Cape May further down the river by then.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-19-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
We are in Lewes, DE
Surprised that no one has mentioned anchoring off Roosevelt Inlet, or inside in the canal up from the Coast Guard station, as both are well protected.
The town of Lewes has a neat community dock for transients, and the local restaurants range from good to fantastic.

Dick
Old 02-19-2011

Lewis is a great destination, with dramatic views from Cape Henlopen.

I think of the bay as my destination with Cape May as one place of interest.

With a 20ft boat and 6hp outboard, my planning is somewhat realistic and at times overly pessimistic. I assume an average SOG of 4kn. Against the Delaware tide I can motor at 2kn, with the tide 7kn. 80nm from Essington to Cape May is possible but unlikely in 20hrs.

This is a sailing trip, so I wait for tide and wind in my favor.

Last time my timing was poor and I had the misfortune of entering the Cape May Canal on a summer weekend, missing slack tide and in the wakes of speeding power boats. Not something I desire to repeat.

This time I will spend a day or two at Bidwell Creek maybe a side trip to the Maurice, and enter the canal midweek at slack.

I like the Cohansey, for me it is a destination, anchor and enjoy the wildlife; heron, hawk, eagle, crab, turtle and maybe sturgeon.

May-June is horseshoe crab egg laying time on the bay beaches, and the time when redknots stop to refuel on their journey between Argentina and Northern Canada.

The bay shores are mostly protected wetland, rich with wildlife and history, good reason to slow down and enjoy.
Old 02-19-2011

Udallah,

That makes good sense. Having lived in Ocean City, NJ for 18 years and explored the State Parks and beaches on the bayside of NJ many times there are quite a few neat natural unspoiled areas to see such as the sceinic Maurice River. My daughter and I spend lots of time on the "West" side of NJ watching the various species of birds on the "Atlantic Flyway" migrating. There are also a great number of Bald and American eagles as you said now that we have figured out how we were destroying their population.

Having the size boat with engine you have it mnakes sense to plan the way you are. Usually for us the Delaware trip is the most boring and most drudgery of our excurions to NE or even back home and we are on a "tide" time clock. It is always better to "see the trees" and scenery as you are doing. I envy that.

Takes some Skin so Soft for the greenheads though.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-19-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
+1 for Lewes/Cape Henlopen. It's readily accessible to the NJ coast (less than an hour difference than Cape May), deeper water, no air draft issues, and easier access coming down Delaware Bay.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 02-19-2011

Sailnet get together in Lewes?

Good restaurants, walkable, easy approach from the bay, not as expensive as Cape May.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.