Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road
S/V Quest taken by Somali pirates

Has any one seen this yet?
Somali pirates hijack U.S. yacht - World news - Africa - Somalia - msnbc.com
U.S. yacht taken by Somali pirates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Bad news... quite the yacht, too. While I'm sure none of this was part of their plans, with the well-publicized activities of the Somalians one has to wonder why you'd put yourself in jeopardy this way.

But I guess no one really knows how far afield these pirates are straying....

They have an impressive blog too...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-18-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
"Despite Somali piracy being at its highest ever levels, with more than 40 ships and 800 seamen currently held according to Ecoterra."

800!?! ppl ? 800 .....If there is 2 ppl hurt on a mountain climb you get helo & everybody else help , and needless to say a stright week of news coverage , heck I even saw a box of kittens dumped on the curb covered on the news better than the Somali problem.

This is so crazy this Somali problem doesn't get more coverage in the news & Something done about it !

Where are the Special Op's missions on this matter ?

Here's to the hope for the forgotton 800.

At least the post's & threads do add to the coverage to the net search, which is my biggest reason for my posting here ....Go Search Engine !
Old 02-19-2011

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Anyone who has done much research/reading about the pirates of this area should know that they venture hundreds of miles out from the coasts of Somalia in search of boats to prey on....this was not a good area for a pleasure yacht or any ship that is not of military-nature to be in really unless you enjoy high-risk endeavors...but most globe-trotting cruising sailors are in that category so I suspect they knew the odds and recent history of that area and took the chance...some ships have been intercepted as much as 400 miles off the Somali coast...Thus said, I hope they are returned safely and immediately...and I wish them the best...
Old 02-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I also hope the good that may come of this is a renewed interest in solving this problem. Military ops have been attempted in the past..... see Blackhawk Down. The Clinton administration botched that badly.

I think we can do better and should.

Godspeed to the Adam's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 02-19-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2011

christianoronaldo is on a distinguished road
Imediate action

A question for those who say that this couple should not have been sailing in this area:if you are sailing in southeast asia and you want to go to Med what are you supposed to do?
It is like saying 'Hey there are criminals roaming the streets I will not go out of my house'.
What I am saying is this:Send EVERY available forces in the region (Navy Seals, inteligence, e.t.c) and save our fellow citizens. Send those bastards a strong message and at last END this story. I think it is time for America to start another war in the area.
Old 02-19-2011

calden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Bad news... quite the yacht, too. While I'm sure none of this was part of their plans, with the well-publicized activities of the Somalians one has to wonder why you'd put yourself in jeopardy this way.

But I guess no one really knows how far afield these pirates are straying....

They have an impressive blog too...
They were on a mission of bible friendship. Their website has lots of stories of communication and friendship through giving away bibles they are toting around. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but I think they were maybe overly optimistic about the general goodwill of their fellow humans, and thus a bit starry-eyed about their voyage in general.

Carlos
Old 02-19-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianoronaldo View Post
I think it is time for America to start another war in the area.
Yeah, that's what we need, another war. Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy to nuke Somalia (and lots of other places as well), so I'm not at all against retribution. However, it's NOT AMERICA'S WORLD. It's the world's world and the world is a dangerous place. Frankly, I see these stories all the time. Whether it's people in Los Angeles who simply MUST build their house up in the foothills where EVERYBODY KNOWS there will be a forest fire, or kids crossing the border to go to a party in a bar in Mexico and ending up dead, or 3 Americans HIKING on the border of Iran (how stupid is THAT?) or sailing in an area REKNOWN for brutal piracy attacks. At what point do we have to say, "You chose to do something dangerous and you lost"? Yeah, I know, they're sailors, we're all sailors, I feel for them. I get it. But maybe the state of the world says, "You can't get to the Med from here anymore, you have to go around". That being said, I do pray for the survival of the victims. Flame suit on.

Mike
Old 02-19-2011

calden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
Yeah, that's what we need, another war. Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy to nuke Somalia (and lots of other places as well), so I'm not at all against retribution. However, it's NOT AMERICA'S WORLD. It's the world's world and the world is a dangerous place. Frankly, I see these stories all the time. Whether it's people in Los Angeles who simply MUST build their house up in the foothills where EVERYBODY KNOWS there will be a forest fire, or kids crossing the border to go to a party in a bar in Mexico and ending up dead, or 3 Americans HIKING on the border of Iran (how stupid is THAT?) or sailing in an area REKNOWN for brutal piracy attacks. At what point do we have to say, "You chose to do something dangerous and you lost"? Yeah, I know, they're sailors, we're all sailors, I feel for them. I get it. But maybe the state of the world says, "You can't get to the Med from here anymore, you have to go around". That being said, I do pray for the survival of the victims. Flame suit on.

Mike
Mike-

I think you have a very practical and realistic attitude. I totally agree.

Carlos
Old 02-19-2011

okawbow is on a distinguished road
These people were 400 miles from Somalia, in the Indian ocean. Just how far around do you need to go?

No ransom should ever be paid, and the criminals should be dealt with as all pirate have been in the past.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.