Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Sailing in Williamstown, Victoria (Australia)?

I was recently in Willamstown, Victoria revisiting my roots (my family comes from down that way back when it was a rough-as-guts dock town). Whilst listening to my mother amazed at how "yuppy" (her words) it has become - I noticed there was quite a few sailing clubs and alot of beautiful boats around the piers and the marinas.

The area is beautiful, close to the city, beach on one side, boats on the other. To make it perfect though, I'd need to know what the sailing is like. I didn't have a chance to ask anyone at the clubs - so I was wondering if there was anyone here that might know what the sailing is like down there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Sailing in Pt Phillip bay is pretty good. I always found it fairly choppy with short steep waves, which I reakon was due to the fairly shallow waters (most of the Williamstown area is only around 5m deep.) It can also be fairly cold / cool sailing, however it depends what you are used to (Tassie sailors will probably say it fine, whereby Queensland sailers will freeze!) There are plenty of clubs that regularly hold races / regattas in the area.

Your Mum's right, Williamstown has become very trendy over the past 20 years. Ten years ago the biggest problem was finding storage / pens. My guess in the last 10 years it has only got worse.

Hartley18 regularly sails in Pt Phillip bay so we any luck he'll respond to your question.

Ilenart
Old 02-20-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I've never sailed in Victoria at all so you'll get no help from me but as Ilenart says Cameron (Hartley18) is the bloke to talk to as those are his home waters and he knows a thing or two about sailing as well. We should go and pay the former Hartleys a visit. I actually quite like the idea of sailing on a wide open bay like Port Phillip. Would make a change from beating up and down Sydney Harbour.

How's the wild west treating you Ilenart ? Trust all goes well.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-20-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Bent, Ilenart's quite right: Port Phillip can be a bit choppy at times and the water at the top end is usually more grey/brown than blue or green, but, on the face of it, Williamstown (Hobsons Bay) is the only part of the entire expanse on Port Phillip that is protected from the prevailing westerlies, meaning flat water, plenty of wind and exciting racing.

There are two main clubs, Hobsons Bay Yacht Club and the slightly more expensive Royal Yacht Club of Victoria. Having said that, there is close camaraderie between the two clubs, with joint racing in the Twilight series (Wednesdays) and some of the Saturday races.

If you're still curious, next time you're down this way, PM me and you can find out for yourself!
Old 02-21-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=tdw;700187How's the wild west treating you Ilenart ? Trust all goes well.[/QUOTE]

All goes well. Had a nice JAM race last week. Had fun with a cyclone couple of weeks ago. Biggest hassle is the new engine / prop shaft has a constant leak which is taking a while to fix. The pleasures of yacht ownership

Ilenart
Old 02-24-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
@Hartley18:
Thanks for the details mate. I might just take you up on that offer... at the very least, we can grab a beer while you regale me on your sailing stories
Old 02-24-2011

Melbournian is on a distinguished road
Hi , we moved from st Kilda marina in port philip bay to Royal Geelong yacht club. Conditions are so different! Corio bay has many more days of good sailing. Hardly any chop and the sea breezes are almost on time everyday. Our Wednesday twilight is also very popular.
Hi cam, how's life? We are getting another Catalina but a 42 this time.
Cheers amy
Old 02-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
@Hartley18:
Thanks for the details mate. I might just take you up on that offer... at the very least, we can grab a beer while you regale me on your sailing stories
just don't mention plastic, dry rot or toredo worm.....

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-24-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournian View Post
Hi cam, how's life? We are getting another Catalina but a 42 this time.
Cheers amy
Amy!!! Long time no hear!

We're going well up this end of the bay, but the poor little Hartley had to go - Mrs H found it a bit too uncomfortable in the chop... and the conditions at St Kilda Marina were unspeakable.

Williamstown is a much nicer place to have a boat. Do look us up if ever you come up this way.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-24-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2011

Melbournian is on a distinguished road
hi cam,
We are in Kingsville. Just round the corner. Will let you know when we are coming in for a visit. We might spend easter in Port Philip bay depending on wind and weather. If not, would love to show you our new baby when she gets here.
This summer is like a Swedish summer..gone before we knew it was here!!
You are welcome to visit us at RGYC too.
Cheers
Amy