Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
I have a Singer 111w155 that Chrisncate mentioned and that I found for $325 on Craig's list. It's a compound walking-foot machine with needle-feed as described by Siamese.

Replacing the clutch motor with a servo motor has made the machine much more manageable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011

lornacam is on a distinguished road
I have owned the LSZ-1 for 5 years

I use it daily in my upholstery and canvas business as well as having used it to redo 2 of our own sail boats. Large canvas jobs or sails it does not lend itself to but anything else it is great. I took it with us to the Abaco, Bahamas last year and was able to help other sailors with emergency repairs as we traveled. I have had only a few problems with the machine, but the customer support at Sailrite is wonderful, so we overcame all situations. I like the portability of the machine for the larger canvas jobs. I would buy the least expensive one and get a good rapor with Sailrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonds44 View Post
I am considering purchase of a Sailrite LSZ-1 Sewing Machine. Of course, would like to purchase for lowest cost. Direct from Sailrite (via Amazon) is $899 plus $45 shipping. Other vendors considered include;

1.) Sewing Machines Plus, etc. (via Amazon) @ $869 includes shipping;
2.) Zamirsew (via eBay) @ $774 includes shipping.

Any thoughts/comment would be appreciated. thanks
Old 02-22-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I have the LSZ-1 purchased from sailrite several years ago and have nothing but praise for the machine and the support from sailrite. One thing about punching through thick fabric....get the monster wheel that is an option on the basic machine. I just restitched some seams on the main sail around the clew and it was able to do it without having to hand sew. Now I'm putting on new sunbrella on the roller furling yankee and their instructional video has been helpful and Matt has even responded quickly to a question I had about making the hem. I've never sewed before getting this machine and without the good support I would have given up and taken the sail to the sailmaker for repairs.
Old 02-22-2011
SailGunner

cesarid is on a distinguished road
Fantastic machine. We bought ours at the Chicago Boat show - I think 10% off. You might try a boat show or ask for the boat show discount.
Old 02-22-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
We also have the LSZ-1. It is expensive, but a great machine and the quality of Sailrite support is something you don't see much in retail these days. In other words, you get what you pay for. We purchased ours at the Annapolis store. I asked if they would give me a "boat show discount," and they took 10% off the price (there were no shows going on at the time). We also use Sailrite for almost all of our supplies. You do want the monster wheel as it allows more precise control, particularly since I like to turn the machine by hand for the last few stitches to end right at the edge of the fabric. We've used it for a lot of small projects, from pockets to a companionway cover, all the way to large projects like a bimini that we made from a Sailrite kit. We are now in the process of making a dodger from a kit. The machine pretty much paid for itself with the bimini, and while I'm sure one could save money with a used commercial machine, I've really enjoyed not having to worry about repairs. Two thumbs up, way up . . .
Old 02-22-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Just bought an old Pfaff 130 on ebay, put a more powerful motor and a large wheel on it(from Zeus). Total investment around $450. This thing is sewing (zigzag)through 8 layers of new 9oz. sailcloth on a new trysail. Works very well, is all metal and obviously a workhorse, built better than the plastic junk of today. It also is readily stowable aboard the boat.
Old 02-22-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
FYI - looks like someone has a lightly used LSZ-1 for sale through the Sailrite forum: Sailrite Forum: For Sale, Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 Walking Foot

We looked for months trying to find a used one without luck before we bought our new onw - they dont' come up very often.
Old 02-22-2011

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
I also have a Pfaff 130 I got for $225 on craigslist. I much prefer the 111W155 for canvas. However, lacking zigzag I do not think the 111W155 would be suitable for sail making. The Pfaff 130 zigzags only a single stitch in each direction, which I think limits its usability.
Old 02-22-2011

CruiserJoe is on a distinguished road
LZ1 is a great machine and great people as well at Sailrite
Old 03-01-2011

Edmonds44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all of your comments & suggestions.