Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011

LASWACK is on a distinguished road
Mainsheet/Traveler Bimini setup

Hey All,

Anyone have some experience with a bimini or an enclosure when the mainsheet and traveler are located in the cockpit right in front of the helm?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
That's the problem we have. Our dodger is set up with attachment points at the aft end to tie in to a bimini... when we figure it out. Right now I'm thinking that a pair of hoops over the helmsman could strecth a bimini over him, and that a separate piece of canvas could go between the dodger and the bimini with a big two-carriage zipper, curved on an arc to allow the mainsheet tackle to pass through wherever it needed to go. Our backstay is also right there, so it's an interesting design problem. For now, we wear hats.
Old 02-20-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
There are plenty of dodger/bimini combinations here in the PNW that have something similar to what paulk describes - and, of course, plenty of boats that have that traveller arrangement.

What most here seem to do is have a bimini aft of the mainsheet to protect the helm position, and a removable section that fills the gap between it and the dodger. I've not seen, as I recall, one designed to actually keep in place while sailing, but I suppose it could be done. The tricky part would be matching the arc of the mainsheet, which will not be a straight line, and the curved slot would need to be supported somehow.

Around here the connecting section has a zippered or velcroed cutout for the mainsheet (as the bimini would need for the backstay in most cases) but just for one position, usually amidships or wherever your favourite traveller position is at rest. They are left in place when motoring in the rain (or harsh sunshine), and often have window panels in them for visibility. These sections are usually removed for sailing, although for a long run on one particular tack the sheet would probably clear the canvas. (Jibing would be more work, of course!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-20-2011

Paulk - What boat do you have ? and Faster thank you for the input. I am looking at a Bene 42s7, but married to a fair redhead! I obviously want all the benefits of traveler/mainsheet that is managable by the helmsman, but need the protection of a bimini for the other helmsmen. I am very surprised that this is not a more talked about topic.

Thanks Again!
Old 02-20-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This one:

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

has what you're looking to do.. but unfortunately there's no good angle.. and I'm betting the bridging canvas between the dodger and bimini is not meant to be used while sailing...

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-20-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The tricky part would be matching the arc of the mainsheet, which will not be a straight line, and the curved slot would need to be supported somehow.
That's why I call for a two-carriaged zipper. The curve would follow (approximately) the position of the sheet at various points of sail. The two zippers would enable you to slide the opening to wherever it needed to be and have the rest of the zipper supporting the shade. Sort of like luggage, where you can padlock the two zippers together anywhere along the opening. The other problem I've seen with this "full coverage" type of shade, even on boats that have cabintop-mounted travelers, is being able to look forward while standing at the wheel. To see through the dodger, you need to be sitting. Full coverage also makes looking up- to see if the main or jib is luffing, for example - quite difficult. Putting windows or "skylinghts" in the bimini... sort of defeats the purpose. We sail a J/36
Old 02-20-2011
Just another Moderator

hey.. a whole new routine...
"Bearing off.... ease main, traveller down - oh oh - get the zipper - trim ..".

As far as the 'skylights' go, everyone here has snap-on covers so you can have the shade when you need it, and the visibility and light when you'd rather have that (underway and in the rain)...

Old 02-20-2011
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
You want one of these:
Mobile bimini

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2011

MobileBimini

That is the solution!
No stainless, stows nice, just need it in matchin sunbrella!!!!

Seriously, I want to go full enclosure for when on the hook or at a slip, but need protection for the helmsperson - a fair redhead who goes from to

I appreciate all the input.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.