Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011

triacondor is on a distinguished road
Delaware Bay

I'd like to take advantage of Chef2sail and ask him for his...or anyone's recommendations for anchorages along the Delaware Bay. I have a Pearson 40 drawing 4'3" or so. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Reedy Island 6 miles south of the Canal on the Delaware Side and the Cohanessy River are realy the only two spots I would recommend anchoring below the canal. Reeedy you are protected from the anchor wash and any S or east wind driven wave compnents. You still ahve the tidal flow current to deal with.

The Cohanessey is a long run out of the wasy though and the depths are impressive at 50 ft with a swift tidal current but doable in bad weather. Be prepared to deal with the man eating greenhead flies,

I usally play the tidal changes so as not to have to anchor in the Delaware below Reedy Island.

Udalla/ Rhytm may have other places they anchor also.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-19-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I agree with Dave. I try to stage at Worton Creek on the Chesapeake until I get sail straight through to Henlopen.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-19-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Very few protected anchorages in the Delaware Bay, there is just not much to hide behind to protect from the waves.

Cohansey is a delightful river, but deep with a swift current. A pleasant anchorage is just past the entrance pylons then duck behind the island with the red pylon to Cohansey Cove. I anchored for a few hours waiting for the current to change, but I have meet folks that have overnighted in the cove.
Old 12-20-2011

triacondor is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

Just wanted to thank you gentlemen for taking the time to reply....I'll put your recommendations in my "bag of tricks" for use when we get underway!
Old 12-21-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by triacondor View Post
I'd like to take advantage of Chef2sail and ask him for his...or anyone's recommendations for anchorages along the Delaware Bay. I have a Pearson 40 drawing 4'3" or so. Thanks!
Don't assume you necessarily need to find a "protected" anchorage through there... All depends on the weather, of course, but on a quiet night, or even during a strong blow out of the NE, anchoring in the lee of the Jersey shore anywhere south of the nuclear plant is do-able... Just tuck in as close to shore as you can, you should be fine during any period of settled weather...
Old 12-21-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
The close to shore shoals are a maze of crab pots below Artificial Island all the way to Egg Island Shoals and anything above a 5 knot breeze with a west or south component will kick up some building and breaking waves over the shoals. Not where I would want to anchor overnight.

Fortescue was dredged last year and may be another option but I don't have any good information on the only approach from the south west, but once in the creek the depth will be at least 9ft at low tide.

There are no good anchorages on the Jersey West Coast except for Bidwell Creek. Off Higbee Beach is OK for a few hours while waiting for a favorable tide in the Cape May Canal but is very exposed.
Old 12-21-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Many, many years ago I was fishing from the decks of a 20-foot Mako near Brandywine Shoals Light when a sudden thunderstorm raced down Delaware Bay. The storm was moving incredibly fast and the guy I was fishing with said we'll never be able to cross the bay in this storm so we're going to take refuge inside the lighthouse jetties. There was a relatively large area inside the circle of massive boulders and the entrance was on the southeast side of the lighthouse. There were a couple piers, signs saying not to use the area, but at the time we didn't care what the signs said. After tying up we took shelter behind the lighthouse and waited several hours for the storm to pass. We returned to Bowers Beach in ink-black darkness, but made it unscathed.

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a marked channel leading into the entrance and the depths back then ranged 7 to 9 feet both in the channel and inside the jetties. Does anyone have any local knowledge of whether this location still exists, or has it long since silted in?

Cheers,

Gary
Old 12-23-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
The close to shore shoals are a maze of crab pots below Artificial Island all the way to Egg Island Shoals and anything above a 5 knot breeze with a west or south component will kick up some building and breaking waves over the shoals. Not where I would want to anchor overnight.
Well, perhaps I just haven't seen them at their worst, but IMHO the concentration of floats is not anything like one might commonly deal with in Maine, or Florida Bay...

I've just been lucky, perhaps, but I've never had a problem dropping the hook through there... Then again, I've been known to anchor in the ocean from time to time, so my opinion is perhaps best taken with more than a few grains of salt... (grin)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.