Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given the exposure and the prevailing winds, a T at the lower marina would be a nightmare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
Unless you want to build a relationship with the smaller yard, you might consider the Brewers yard (looks like Barrington, RI) and save some $ (unless you've already signed the contract.)

Given the predominant SW breeze and the heavy boat traffic, you will find your boat pinned against the face dock and will want to guard against fender burn. I'd go for the slip, since you won't normally have much of a cross wind. If they've dredged recently, you should know whether your draft is a problem.
Old 02-25-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Go between pilings.

1. Getting off a tee in an on-shore wind is not easier. Doable, but not easier.

2. Rubbing on fenders 24/7/365 is a minus.

3. Wakes get old.

4. Ice in the winter amplifies the above.

5. Docking in your home slip with pre-tied lines and fenders where you need them is easy.

As cat sailor that gets a lot of t-docks when cruising, I'm always glad to get home, where I can tie-up between pilings.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 02-25-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brewers nickels and dimes you for every expense from what I've seen. They have pretty good facilities with a lot of amenities, but you end up paying for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Unless you want to build a relationship with the smaller yard, you might consider the Brewers yard (looks like Barrington, RI) and save some $ (unless you've already signed the contract.)

Given the predominant SW breeze and the heavy boat traffic, you will find your boat pinned against the face dock and will want to guard against fender burn. I'd go for the slip, since you won't normally have much of a cross wind. If they've dredged recently, you should know whether your draft is a problem.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-25-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
We live aboard now Ed and I can tell you that protection is the key. You will sleep better at night. Fetch and wave action are one thing but what about loose boats, docks and other debris that could collide with your boat in a storm.

And the longer walk is a pro. Ask your doctor;-)

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-26-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Lot of good advice here. The first year with a new to us boat (one boat past), the marina did not have a space for us so we spent quite a bit of time on the T. As other's have said, when the wind blows directly onto the T, it pushes you on, and crushes the fenders. You have no way to tie off (short of an anchor set which may not be possible if their is boat traffic). I spent a couple of storms tending fenders. Get a slip if you can. Also nice for cleaning topsides, etc.
Old 02-26-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I would vote for the slip. I have had severe weather conditions develop while out sailing that would have made it difficult to dock on the T upon returning home, whereas if you can get the pointy end into the slip, the rest will follow. Also, where I am in Marina del Rey, you wouldn't believe the number of end tie boats that get hit. "Hey guys, let's try tacking up the channel". And no, they don't leave a note.

Mike
Old 02-26-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Having had a fender jump the dock overnight at a highly exposed marina, I would sooner take a mooring ball than that risk again. I can't really tell how exposed to fetch you would be at the T-dock, but it surely looks like a candidate. At the least, I would attach permanent fenders to the dock if you take it. There are some tips on how to do that so they don't just become ripped off or cause damage, if you are interested.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-26-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
If you attach permanent fenders that are intended to provide real protection for your boat, use boat fenders, like Taylor Big B or equivalent. I use 6 of these fenders (20" size) strung out horizontally over a total distance of 14 ft or so, with dock attachments at each end of the fenders and have had good luck over the past 5-6 years. I have 23' and 35' boats on opposite sides of the same floating dock. That said, I am in a protected area where wakes and seas are rarely a problem.

I don't have tie-off piles. If the winds pick up to 50+ knots, I'll put out larger fenders over the side of the boat(s) in case the installed fenders get squashed, but then you need to be careful that the additional fenders don't jump out of place. If 60 kts or more is predicted, I would move the boats to a storm mooring.
Old 02-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
If you attach permanent fenders that are intended to provide real protection for your boat, use boat fenders, like Taylor Big B or equivalent. I use 6 of these fenders (20" size) strung out horizontally over a total distance of 14 ft or so, with dock attachments at each end of the fenders
I agree and a couple of more points.

Oversize the fenders, if possible.
Use fenders that accept a line through the middle so that they will rotate as the boat move up and down against them.
Never allow them to be in permanent contact with the water.
Mounting hardware should be SS and oversized as well.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.