Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
YouTube - MACGREGOR 26 50 MPH WINDS, 18' SEAS

18' seas may or may not be a stretch, but 50 knot wind!!??
40 knot wind confirmed by buoy 40009 when I was there had the tops of the waves scalped off with foam flying everywhere. I did not see that in the sales pitch above.

Dick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
These are my home waters and conditions do not match the descriptions. The wave that made him drop the camera was right off Corona Del Mar and they were entering Newport Harbor. They were closer to shore than most people approach in heavy weather, hence the wave.
Old 02-27-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
well I would not go out in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
These are my home waters and conditions do not match the descriptions. The wave that made him drop the camera was right off Corona Del Mar and they were entering Newport Harbor. They were closer to shore than most people approach in heavy weather, hence the wave.
It does amaze me how upset people seem to get about macs

its a national sport - knocking them. people seem to think they are evil and not real boats

no idea why - please tell me - other than aesthetics of course

here are some shots of a mac making a pretty fist of dealing with the wells bar

http://www.setcc.com/boatpix/jonicaas.jpg

http://www.setcc.com/boatpix/jonicabs.jpg

http://www.setcc.com/boatpix/jonicacs.jpg

http://www.setcc.com/boatpix/jonicads.jpg

Dylan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
I don't care what they are trying to sell, Mac's or Seasick pills, the wind is not 50 and the waves not unusually big. It's not unusual to sail in the conditions shown, it's only unusual to sail a Mac in the conditions shown.
Old 02-27-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
What's the purpose of the thread? Beauty is subjective and to suggest that one persons boat is ugly is a pretty low thing to do IMHO.

No way those were anywhere near 18' seas and I kinda doubt that they would have been flying a full main in 50 knots.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-27-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Much of the sea conditions pictured will depend upon the wave intervals, which seemed to be fairly long. I've been in 10 to 12 foot seas off Key West where the wave intervals were several hundred yards. I was a pleasant ride. I've also experienced 6-foot seas in Chesapeake Bay in the channel between Point Lookout and Smith Island, waves that were just 30-feet apart, and had my ass handed to me on a platter. It was a brutal pounding, even in a following sea, because the following wave was jamming you into the next wave, which then crashed over the bow.

As for the winds, well, they sure didn't look like 50 knots, but after viewing the video a couple times I know I wouldn't have had that much sail flying, even in a 30-knot wind.

Guess I must be getting old and a bit too cautious,

Gary
Old 02-27-2011

Great point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
What's the purpose of the thread? Beauty is subjective and to suggest that one persons boat is ugly is a pretty low thing to do IMHO.

No way those were anywhere near 18' seas and I kinda doubt that they would have been flying a full main in 50 knots.
Good point,

is beauty subjective?

it certainly has a price

beautiful boats, such as your own, fetch better prices than ugly ones of a similar size and condition.

or perhaps you don't agree

The slug as it stands is worth £2,000.

- and its probably a price we could more or less agree on

the slug has a pretty badly scuffed hull - its 45 years old and given what I do with the boat that is hardly surprising.

The scuffs are purely cosmetic.

a repaint would certainly make my own boat look more beautiful and almost certainly improve its selling price

(lipstick on a pig some might say)

Probably by £300 -

although the functionality of the slug would be completely unchanged.

let me ask you, have you ever owned the sort of boat that most people, including yourself, would consider to be ugly?

As for the point of the thread.....

well ultimately most of the threads on any sailing forum have little point unless you are intersted in the subject. If you are intersted in your own and other peoples attitudes towards their boats then lots of what people have to say is really interesting. There was some really great writing on the thread about boats being sentient.

always thinking about the next column in SCA

Dylan

PS - man you sail in a great place

Apologising for BP « Keep Turning Left

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 02-27-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I like ugly boats. I sail ugly boats. They make me look better, by comparison.

Old 02-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Oi..you...Winter....

To be begin with "Moments" (see I really have been paying attention in class ) aka The Slug is not really all that ugly. OK so she is a tadge plain. homely even but ugly ? Nah..

.....i've seen worse.

See the trouble with you DW is that you have an eye for a bit of fancy skirt (boat skirt that is) but the upper class bordello you cannot afford. The only Mac within your means is from Marks and Spencer.

All of which is absolutely beside the point. Go back to the beginning you wretch.....

It's all bout the voyage you twassock....not the boat.

So you would be more comfortable in a Mac...

whoa...would you ever be more comfortable....but that is beside the point.

It the the 'je ne sais quoi' of the Slug and the Hack that make this such great theatre.....not to mention the performing seal.

To quote from the original unexpurgated version of Wind in the Windows....there is nothing half so much worth doing as simply arsing about.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-27-2011

Its a great bit of film

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Much of the sea conditions pictured will depend upon the wave intervals, which seemed to be fairly long. I've been in 10 to 12 foot seas off Key West where the wave intervals were several hundred yards. I was a pleasant ride. I've also experienced 6-foot seas in Chesapeake Bay in the channel between Point Lookout and Smith Island, waves that were just 30-feet apart, and had my ass handed to me on a platter. It was a brutal pounding, even in a following sea, because the following wave was jamming you into the next wave, which then crashed over the bow.

As for the winds, well, they sure didn't look like 50 knots, but after viewing the video a couple times I know I wouldn't have had that much sail flying, even in a 30-knot wind.

Guess I must be getting old and a bit too cautious,

Gary
I earn my living working as a video cameraman - and I have to say that it is some pretty impressive footage

The waves look steep - which I can tell you is a bit of an achievement.

They are clearly waves made at a bar - just like the still shots at wells - where my boat is at the moment.

Its my guess that a mile further out to sea it was just as windy and not nearly as rough.

Clearly they wanted to show the boat standing up to its full rig - and it did - sure they were spilling wind, but the Mac was making progress under sail through some tough conditions.

I am sure you guys have been in tougher conditions than that.

I spend my time as a sailor trying to avvoid such conditions - whether it was blowing 30 or 50 miles an hour

so he was deliberatly not reefing to show the boat under pressure. I reckon it did that pretty effectively.

This is the nub of the thing though - why do people hate macs?

why do they find them so offensive?

In the UK we have Westerly Centaurs - 3,000 of them and dismissed by many as caravans - heavily built caravans but they are also 26 foot long.

when they were in production people laughed at them and the people who sailed them.

Now I seldom hear anyone laughing at centaurs - tried and tested - although their keels do occasionally get a bit wobbly.

Anyone writing a history of recreational yachting covering the past 100 years would have to mention both Centaurs and Macs - as well as the Folboats and Nicholsons.

But, just as our fathers generation of 'real sailors' heaped distain on the Centaurs now this generation of real sailors heap disdain on Macs

but one way or another they are tommorrows classic and have introduced a lot of people to sailing who might otherwise never have got involved

much like my own slug

which was the peoples boat of the 1960s - a yacht for the working man -

in some ways the Mac is a yacht for the working man as well

both are well endowed in the engine department, they are criticised for not sailing that well, they have amazing accommodation for their size, relatively cheap to aquire new but despite all this their owners do seem to spend a lot of time sailing.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 02-27-2011 at 04:45 PM.