Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
let me ask you, have you ever owned the sort of boat that most people, including yourself, would consider to be ugly?

As for the point of the thread.....
Not sure why it's relevant but I would have to say no, I've never considered any boat that I've owned to be ugly, maybe not the prettiest girl at the dance, but not ugly (although as I look back through the pictures of all of them some don't look nearly as good as I thought they did at the time). I don't think your boat is ugly at all, cute actually. Like I said, beauty is an individual thing. I have rejected boats from my list of possibles based on looks, but then again I know a lot of people think a pilothouse is ugly so what do I know? About all I do know is that no matter what the boat, someone is probably pretty proud of it, so you'll not be hearing me label it "ugly" (at least not in public).

Still not sure I know what the thread is about, not that it matters :-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Actually, I don't hate Macs. In fact, I think they're kinda' neat, especially when I'm motoring up the Havre de Grace, MD channel doin' 7 at best and the guy that runs a Mac out of Tidewater Marina blows by me like I'm going backwards. I've never thought of them as an ugly boat at all, and I applaud the concept of hybridizing power/sail into a single craft. Besides, the gal that sails with him is young and very attractive, and I'm old and lecherous.

Now, back to the conditions. It appeared that he was fairly close to shore, probably in relatively shallow water, which may account for the wave heights. But, 18-footers--I have my doubts. I spent a fair amount of time in the North Atlantic and have been in 18-footers and they sure looked a lot more impressive than what I saw on the video. Of course, the compression of the camera's variable, zoom lens may have made the intervals appear a bit close, which I can fully understand. What I was mainly going by was the amount of hull that appeared to be lower than the wave-tops. Of course, if both boats were in a trough when the video is being shot, the wave height tends to be magnified a bit by the camera angle in relation to the distance between the boats.

Overall, pretty impressive--especially when you consider the amount of sail that was out and how little the boat seemed to be heeling.

I really don't think ANY boat is ugly--even the hybrids.

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 02-27-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Still not sure I know what the thread is about, not that it matters :-))
Judging by my previous post , neither do I..

I confess I've never thought the Womboat to be all that pretty. We like to think 'handsome'.

Methinks though that pedantic waffle about whether or not the waves were really 18' or winds cyclonic is most definitely missing the point. Whatever the sea state the bugger was sailing in less than perfect conditions.

To be frank, the thing I dislike most about the Mac is watching some moron blast up our river at a 100mph and frightening the natives. As far as I know its the only one in Sydney, at least the only one I've ever seen and the damn thing happens to live up river from our mooring.

As for Centaurs....could it be, that your average yachtie is an inveterate snob ? Oh heaven forfend.

Ladies and gentlemen..for your viewing pleasure.....from the board of Jack Giles no less...the Westrly Centaur...

ps - previous post forgot to give credit where due...Mirror Offshore pics were from Mirror Offshore smallest motorsailer with Volvo Penta MD1 web site.

I guess I also have to admit a certan fondness for the MO cos they are after all Van de Stadt siblings.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-27-2011

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
OK, so if you want to have a look at real motor sailor, have a look at this. Don't think there are very many compromises:
YouTube - imexus yachts www.odin-marine.com www.arkallc.com

120 HP diesel inboard/outboard, 27 mph top speed. Well built boat. Nice interior as well.
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Old 02-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
OK, so if you want to have a look at real motor sailor, have a look at this. Don't think there are very many compromises:
YouTube - imexus yachts www.odin-marine.com www.arkallc.com

120 HP diesel inboard/outboard, 27 mph top speed. Well built boat. Nice interior as well.

holy crap....you mean someone copied the Mac ? Or was is t'other way round ?

Either way...all that noise, all that wash, nah..knobhead territory.....

I have no details nor do I have any idea what happened to them but early 1980s there was a Swiss/Italian mob who were building a 35'er with twin diesels.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-27-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Nice find Dave. Pretty impressive looking craft, both inside and outside. The price tag for the 37 appeared to be 139,000 euros, which for everything the boat has seems fairly inexpensive.

Thanks for the link,

Gary
Old 02-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

I simply do not understand it. Eight to ten knots under power....that I can understand buy why in the name of all that is deemed holy do people want to travel at 30mph on the water ?

Old 02-27-2011

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Family diversity. Some of my family has not yet learned the patience required for sailing. Basically, you have all that money tied up in a boat, but the thing just sits there unless there is wind. So when there is no wind, throw the kids on a tube and they are happy. If you are going to have a motor, then the motor should do something. You need that to keep skiers happy. I think the official speed for competition is 26 mph. While you can ski at much slower speeds, its really not that good until you get up to a faster speed. You also need a lot of power to get them out of the water. No one likes to be drug through the water while the boat gets up to speed.
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.

Last edited by Daveinet; 02-27-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

My problem with it is in reality not the speed as such, its the noise required to achieve said speed and if a largish boat the resultant wash.

Those accursed mongrel jet skis of course are even more of a trucking plague.

They banned the bloody things from Sydney Harbour some years back. How on earth the pollies managed to come up with some a sensible decision is beyond me. Pity they didn't extend the ban to cover the entire coast.

Old 02-28-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

Nothing says "70's Brit Boat" like gold anodized spars.
Well, that and the flickering, sputtering Lucas running lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.